Saitek question

Thread: Saitek question

Saitek question

After a recent power surge ( yes I was allegedly protected, so that goes to show just how good those devices are, thanks Costco, you will be hearing from me ) I have lost three Saitek panels (Radio, Switch & Multi).

Wondering if since the Logitech take-over of Saitek whether or not the component and/or build quality has been improved. It must be said that Saitek's was not the highest imaginable.

Anybody know? If they are the same then I will not bother to buy again and will look elsewhere for an (affordable) alternative.

Thanks in advance.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I can't speak to the Saitek stuff, but when you go for protection, use an UPS. If you want it protected from surge loads, like lightning, an UPS will do the job a LOT better than a cheap surge arrestor. Alternatively, either put up a lightning rod, or put a high-quality, high-power, 3 phase, surge arrestor on the whole house, and make sure it's tied directly to the house grounding rod. The lightning rod IS less expensive, but the UPS protects from power outages as well as power surges, like lightning. The way a decent UPS is set up, the equipment doesn't connect to the house electrics directly at all. The UPS battery runs the equipment, and the UPS charges the battery off the house electrics. You get a lightning strike, it burns the UPS's charging system, but not the house equipment. Yes, you'd have to replace the UPS entirely, but it's still a lot cheaper than all your equipment.
    Make sure that the HOUSE grounding rod is adequate, as well. It may not have been the Costco surge-arrestors, it may just have been a lousy ground for the house's electrics. The grounding rod should be copper, and about 8' long, pounded into the earth until just a few inches stick out. Then tie the house's ground to it with a 10 GA or 8 GA wire. If the house's earth ground is fairly high impedance, the surge will not be shunted to earth sufficiently to protect the equipment. Think of it as a slow drain. Too much too quickly, and you got problems. You might want to get an electrician to check the house's grounding rod's impedance, and if it's high, replace the grounding rod. If it's old, and the soil is moist, it may have corroded away, giving you a bad earth ground.

Sorry, I know this isn't what you asked, but it sounds like your protections leave something to be desired. Other than perhaps being cheap
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Wow! Next time I want patronizing I will pick up the phone and call my father-in-law.

Corsair 850W PSU
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I seem to recall Almost Aviation on YouTube installed a Logitech Radio Panel for his Twin Otter home cockpit, and thought that the knobs for tuning felt better and were more precise than the Saitek built ones.

(I seem to recall that was an issues that spoilt the product).

Oh, here it is: -

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for the link, it gave me the necessary confidence to order the Radio Panel again and we will see where we go from there re further additions. Plus there was a $20 off sale price from New Egg.

Got me a new Hub too while I was at it.

There should be a fingers crossed emoji. Thanks again.
    Corsair 850W PSU
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Blimey New Egg are good. Less than 48 hours and I am in possession of a brand new Logitech branded Saitek Radio panel - and it seems to be working better than the original.
    Corsair 850W PSU
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Members who have read this thread: 0