Re Installing FSX Steam

Thread: Re Installing FSX Steam

SOH-CM-2020

Re Installing FSX Steam

I've finally got a new computer (ex leased machine) with Win10.

I'm slowly becoming familiarised with Win10 (up from Win7), but I have a query .....

I went to fire up FSX Steam and found I had to re register it and now I'm faced with a re install of the whole program.

Even though it's already on my system from having everything copied over from my old HD onto the new SSD hard drive.

So, am I correct in assuming that I do need to do a complete re install , and if so , should I keep a copy of the usual folders ( Aircraft, installed Scenery, Gauges, Effects etc ) in a safe place , and then delete the entire existing FSX from within Program Files (x86).

Thanks for any help.

Pete.

The short answers are YES, you need to do a full reintstall, but should save any add-ons, as you showed. All the Simobject folders, Scenery you may have added, and so on.

Mainly though, keep it OUT of C:\Program Files, or C:\Program Files(X86)
    Anywhere but those two folders. C:\ is fine, or if you have more than one drive, D:\, or whatever.

Does this answer your question?
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

I don't really know about this, but won't Steam install FSX into a Steam Library? Maybe you can rename the existing folder before a reinstall and then drag your addons into the new one. I don't know whether there'll be a Steam fsx.cfg somewhere which will object to this, though.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

SOH-CM-2020
    Thanks for your help.

I've reinstalled FSX Steam after re naming the existing Steam folder.

Now comes the fiddly task of copying lots of stuff across, including reinstalling about 80Gb of ORBX scenery.

Ahhh the joys of simming.

At least it keeps me off the street and out of mischief.

Pete.

Members who have read this thread: 0