Revisiting Bede BD5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revisiting Bede BD5

Revisiting Bede BD5

Jez G. BD5-J full retexturing early WIP

As well with a VC rework, using only freeware gauges (Garmin G5, FP's Davtron, Mudpond autopilot ...etc)

VC early WIP (retexturing to come)

L'iguane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.jpg   5.jpg  

Interesting!

I'd forgotten all about that one!

Good choice! Both the BD-5B and J are regulars in my simming for a long time now.

Joel

Very interesting indeed, as Mick says

Have any of you guys checked out my rework of the BD-5 on simviation that I did a number of years ago. There are a lot of real-world repaints, panels and gauges I did that are free for your use, if you wish. Check out Erwin Welker's freeware panel, too.

PierreJC, good to know I'll go and check !

I moved on with airframe texture. Still have to work on VC texturing.
    VC gauges set up is finished. a few things from aircraft.cfg adjusted (fuel consumption, wingspan...)

I'm having bunch of fun with this tiny bird. To say, as small as fun !

Cheers
    L'iguane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9.jpg  

When you finish this sometime would be great to see a coors light paint..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 30839799764_53af353c8d.jpg  

Thank you for your Bede Tribute Pierre! Those are the 5s I have been flying in the sim for a while now.Great work!

Hi Darren. Peirre's BD5 Tribute includes the Coors Silver Bullet as well as the Bud Light Microjet.You might want to check it out.
    It can be found at Simviation and Flightsim. Just "Bede".

Joel

Both VC and cockpit texture from external view in progress

@Darren, with refreshed texture, yes it looks a bit different

Cheers
    L'iguane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10.jpg   11.jpg   12.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by PierreJC View Post
    Have any of you guys checked out my rework of the BD-5 on simviation that I did a number of years ago. There are a lot of real-world repaints, panels and gauges I did that are free for your use, if you wish. Check out Erwin Welker's freeware panel, too.
    I had completely missed that!

I have it now!

Thank you!

Now I wonder if anyone ever modeled the original piston powered BD-5 for FS9...

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Yes Mick.It is included in the above mentioned Tribute pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Yes the piston version has been done, back in the time, the original BD5 A&B had the Hirth 80HP engine, A being a short winged aiming at aerobatic & higher speeds and B with long wings having quite an impressive range. A wings were quickly abandonned as they made the flying quite difficult with a significant crash rate at the first flight...
    Hirth going bankruptcy shortly after Bede started delivering kit, a wide range of engine have been scratch-adapted by kit owner willing to complete their BD5.
    As Bede went bankrupt too, a few third parties companies are now offering kit manufacturing and building assistance.

Depending on time I'll have, I was thinking about modifying the aircraft.cfg to simulate the BD5-T turboprop powered by a Quantum micro turboprop like it has been experimented on reality. (The tuboprop version is 3 bladed prop while the sim version will still have a 2 bladed one, only difference)

Cheers
    L'iguane

Quote Originally Posted by HorusJ View Post
    Yes Mick.It is included in the above mentioned Tribute pack.
    Thanks! I downloaded the package yesterday but haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by l'iguane View Post
    Yes the piston version has been done, back in the time, the original BD5 A&B had the Hirth 80HP engine, A being a short winged aiming at aerobatic & higher speeds and B with long wings having quite an impressive range. A wings were quickly abandonned as they made the flying quite difficult with a significant crash rate at the first flight...
    Hirth going bankruptcy shortly after Bede started delivering kit, a wide range of engine have been scratch-adapted by kit owner willing to complete their BD5.
    As Bede went bankrupt too, a few third parties companies are now offering kit manufacturing and building assistance.

Depending on time I'll have, I was thinking about modifying the aircraft.cfg to simulate the BD5-T turboprop powered by a Quantum micro turboprop like it has been experimented on reality. (The tuboprop version is 3 bladed prop while the sim version will still have a 2 bladed one, only difference)

Cheers
    L'iguane

Interesting! I seem to recall having a prop BD-5 in an older sim, maybe FS2002, that didn't translate into FS9. Lost it's prop, I suppose, like so many other older models, though I don't remember for sure.

Interesting information about the real plane too.

I don't usually pay any attention to anything nearly as modern as the BD-5 and -5J. My interest starts to fade rather seriously some time around 1960. But some modern planes have some appeal to me, and the BD-5 and -5J are among them.

@Mick,

BD5 first flight, september 12 1971....not too far from your period of interest

L'iguane

@Mick,

BD5 first flight, september 12 1971....not too far from your period of interest

L'iguane

Indeed!

I've got the two BD's installed now. Next time I load up my Jet Age sim I might even fly one of them!

N358BV Ale Plane (very early) WIP

L'iguane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14.jpg  

Some more progress.
    Quite tricky livery, time-consuming adjustment

l'iguane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 15.jpg  

L'iguane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 17.jpg  

L'iguane

Nice work!

L'iguane
    The AlePlane was at EAA this year. The wood texture of the barrel painted on the back half was extremely well done. (I found four BD5Js and one with the piston engine. Don't know if it was an A or B.) I do have the IRIS BD5 but I think I'll get the tribute pack too just so I can have the Silver Bullet scheme.

I recall reading an article, in the EAA magazine back in the 80's, about adapting the Kawasaki 1300/6 m/c engine for the Bede. From memory there were a couple flying with these powerplants. Would sound good.

N51AP Silver Bullet

WIP

L'iguane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 21.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0