Carenado D18 released - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carenado D18 released

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Thank you Sir

RCAF C-45 Expeditor

Another master piece for sure, a float version is an excellent idea.

Jankees , as always a big fan of yours !! ....... how bout C-45 Expeditor in Royal Canadian A/F markings ?? ( FSX )

We had a couple of training squadrons of these in 50"s and 60's.

Here's hoping !!

Cheers for now
    Last edited by Aircanuck; July 8th, 2018 at 12:52.

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

beautiful shot, thank you for posting!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Maybe we can see a repaint of this one some time??

-- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Okay, how about this one for a repaint... ??

-- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

How is it on framerates? My system is a bit old and the last planes of Carenado are very "heavy" (Fokker F50 and Saab340). So i am sitting on the fence to buy it - do not need another one for the hangar

All the Best

Dirk

WarHorse47
    Ooooo, I'd like that one too! Almost an exact copy of ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball6 View Post
    How is it on framerates? My system is a bit old and the last planes of Carenado are very "heavy" (Fokker F50 and Saab340). So i am sitting on the fence to buy it - do not need another one for the hangar
    All the Best
    Dirk
    Dirk, I don't know your system specs but if you have some planes where it takes 8-10 seconds or more before the textures even appear on the plane in the aircraft preview screen you should consider what frame rates you get with those planes before you buy the Carenado D18. It is a beautiful plane but I had to reduce the size of the main texture, bump map, and specular DDS files to get it to fly on my system without getting the "your system has run out of memory" prompt at some point in the flight. Even then I was getting just 10-14 FPS over downtown San Diego, flying out of Miramar. Certainly not a fault of the plane, but rather my own dated system. When I update my system I'm sure it will perform like it should and look great.

TARPSBird, thank you very much for the information - i think that i have to do the same with the textures. But it is looking so good ...... . Maybe, later this year i need to buy a new system .

All the Best

Dirk

ok before I pull the trigger on this can anyone tell me how it renders and performs on an I7 @3.6 in FSX/A with a 1050Ti card ?

even better - does anyone have this Beech 18 AND the new Bulldog and can compare performance on any rig (the same rig) regardless of horsepower ?

The worst thing in the world lol to me is buying an FSX plane I can't use because of poor performance, render lag, etc..
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Skip it - rather than take a chance (and already having Milton’s Beech) I’ve gone a different way.
    besides, anytime there is even a hint of a ‘problem’ with FPS or render lag I’ve finally learned to just opt out.
    The Bulldog looks good but I’ve already got the Fury and I never use it.

Bought the DHC3 from JF because AH never lets me down - I dont need all the systems modeling if a flight means an average of 15 FPS...get me in the ballpark and let me have my 30 every time
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

[COLOR=#222222]
    Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47[/COLOR

Quote Originally Posted by tailspin45 View Post
    Ooooo, I'd like that one too! Almost an exact copy of ours.
    Guess I screwed up the image link. This was what our bird looked like. I'd love to have a repaint of it.

Note that ours was painted silver, where the army version above was painted gray. Either way, much easier to keep it looking nice than bare metal!

US Army D18S Repaint

I might give the U.S. Army one a go. It's a ton easier than the USN ones in Intl Red Orange I was looking at. A lot different than the USN one they include. It looks too like the USAF can be done at the same time with just a different layered marking. Let's see how I can apply Bill Womack's layering technique and start with Carenado's background PSD file. Watch for my progress unless I go nuts and scream. LOL. Just kidding. I've painted a T-44 from their C-90 a while ago so its off to the paintshed.

Icon25 D18s

Quote Originally Posted by doublecool View Post
    All they need is an amphibian model and they will most likely have the top seller Carenado ever had!
    Yes, it's great! I agree it could be their bestseller! (I must admit that I am biased, being a round engine nut ). I hope they develop the theme, E18 (hightop), floats etc. I have just downloaded Martial Feron,s F.A.F. And I must admit I like the slightly weathered aluminium look.Any chance of a average working type texture?J.K. Any chance also of repaints in FSXMany Thanks

U.S. Army Repaint

Well, good news and bad news, I was able to locate the U.S. Army TM 55-1500-345-23 which is really cool. Anything you every wanted to know precisely with every marking and stencil too. http://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/So...500-345-23.pdf

Bad news...I tried to paint this according to Bill Womack's utube video for aircraft with no layered paintkit and it didn't work for me. One of you guys a lot better at me than repainting please do this for him and the rest of us.

Set the layer with the white textures above your paintwork, and set that layer to multiply, that should do it
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

thanks for the hint

I still can't get this to work so I'm not going to work with it. Jan please create the U.S. Army repaint for the DS18 for him. Thank you for trying to help me anyway.

Just Finished NAF Detroit

NAF Detroit's most challenging part was the tail artwork. The textures otherwise were beautiful to work with as are all of Milton's G7 aircraft. Now THIS ONE! this is a whole lot more challenging with all the dirt and ding layers incorporated into the background only layer provided.

I am going to try again and see if maybe I just got frustrated too soon. Like the man says, if it was easy anyone could do it, right? I'm going to fly for the rest of the week hopping around the Med' in a mission set I downloaded last night and then tackle the U.S. Army again on Monday early nice and fresh. Thank you Jan for the tip. I will go at it again, wish me luck.

Monday's Efforts

First, thank you Jan for your advice. I started a little late on this because I was trying to do something else and got wrapped up all morning and most of the afternoon on it and after all that it was a bust. Bummer!!! Anyway after that even though I wasn't as fresh as I would have liked to be, I decided to tackle the U.S. Army repaint for the D18 or a C45 as its called. Here are my two hours of repainting though it doesn't look like much, I'm learning and learning and.......
    I am pleased with results so far though. Both cowlings are painted. I thought I was doing both vertical stabs/rudders but not so. I guess that the starboard one is on the other psd file. That'll be fun trying to exactly match the yellow areas but I got an idea that should work. Hey Jan, how would you do it to be sure they both match exactly? I'm open to advice before I try.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Army D18 Repaint.jpg  

Working on an Air America repaint here. It's a real challenge to find all these bits and pieces on these texture maps!

Cheers,
    Mark

My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Isn't that the truth

Working on the U.S. Army C45 above I so know what you mean! But then, when we have completed our work, and yours is really nice, it will be a satisfaction and a job well done. When I first looked at it as you can tell from one of my posts above, I was undaunted and confused with nothing but a "background" in the psd where I am used to finding layers that can be identified in the model in MDCx but the nice thing IS that the psd is exactly the same layout as the DDS's which is 10x easier than a psd that is nothing but a profile of the entire airplane side view and the DDS files are bits and pieces. I like this a whole lot better. All that has to be done when a texture has been painted is DXTBMP upload of the 32bit and "flip the image and alpha" and voila!!! load it into the texture folder. I am off to the paint shed. Looking forward to your completion and add into the Warbirds Library as I will do with mine when completed.

The repainting itself is easy, but you have to make your own layer structure on top of the original psds. That's quite a challenge, especially when you have to take care of a custom diffuse alpha channel and the spec map + alpha in a mixed flat paint and polished aluminum scenario.
    I worked into the evening and had a (one!) beer while doing so. That was enough to mess things up :-) Don't drink and repaint, lesson learned.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Surprised

I was surprised I did as well as I did last night starting late but I was blessed and got it all right. Thank you for the tips. I have learned in THIS psd how to outline and flood in Paintshop Pro when it works. Sometimes it floods the whole screen and then its paintbrush time. That works too though. I also learned from Bill Womack how to use "color legacy" equal to color burn in Adobe to allow the detail layer to come through. I am giving you a link to a really cool site I just found. I ran across one of the Beechcraft Restorations newsletters and just found another. A Google Search took me to their site which I am sharing here:

https://beechrestorations.wordpress.com/about-us/

We just "keep on truckin'

Richard

Members who have read this thread: 1