Flight Sim World: Closure Announcement

Thread: Flight Sim World: Closure Announcement

Hybrid View

Not the right forum but whenever a sim closes it is newsworthy to all simmers.

APRIL 23 - DTG CRYSS
    It is with great sadness that we announce the future closure of Flight Sim World.

As you know, we always had a strong ambition to bring a new experience into the
    established world of flight simulation, one that deliberately overhauled both the flying
    experience and the graphical fidelity, offering new ways to fly.

Unfortunately, after many detailed discussions, we regrettably don’t see a clear
    direction that will allow us to keep to the development time we’d want, alongside
    the player numbers we need.

So, slightly before a year since we first launched into Early Access, we have
    made the intensely difficult decision to fully scale back all future development
    on Flight Sim World and remove it from sale on 24th May.

Well that’s a surprise! I had thought dovetail was being too ambitious but did not think they would give up.

they should have been more incremental but then they would still be in the shadow of P3d
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

WOW!! A bit sudden to hear tho. Never good news to hear about another resource for FS going away.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Honestly, this is no surprise to me whatsoever. It's precisely what I said would happen about a year ago. Always sad and unfortunate because these are peoples lives and livelihood, and I hate to see people out of work. But on the sim side, I just never understood how they would compete with P3D.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

I thought the had a chance, if the had built a sim that was 64 bit, as stable as FSX and compatible with it (as comparable as p3d is) and maybe upgraded the scenery and ATC I think they could have had a success, with steam to distribute and LM handicapped by the fiction that there software was not for entertainment purposes the had an opening. But the tried to do too much
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Blog Entries
    I had high hopes they would make it. Competition is good for everyone...as it makes everyone else try harder and keeps prices reasonable.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

It's sad. However, I think that the dwindling user numbers, the delay in releasing the SDK and the lack of any significant update since the introduction of trueSKY last year meant that the writing was definitely on the wall for them - trueSKY had so much potential!

Members who have read this thread: 0