Douglas X-3 Stiletto FSX Native - Page 8
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Douglas X-3 Stiletto FSX Native

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    I'm loving these gauges, and the seal around the widows is first rate loving it all really..

Could you ask Mr. Thomas if he would be so kind as to extend the Mach speed indicater gauge out to Mach 2.5 Please?? My logic is the the plane was always intended to be a Mach 2 plane, and would have been designed as such, with gauges to support it.. Thanks in advance.

More soon ..
    ... snipped ..

Pam
    Scott and I talked about the Mach meter going to 2.1 but the original panel gauge, as all gauges we have now, are just like the real world panel. So, we decided to stay authentic instead.

With that said, the tool tip does read past the gauge markings to give actual Mach in a dive. I believe I got it to M1.1 on one dive.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Blog Entries
    well, if it follows the standard path for an eliptical wing then the lower pressure wave moves back to about 25% MAC while the upper pressure wave moves back to a little over 50% mac. the other phenomena observed during this time is that the pressure cone gets narrower/smaller (??)

Okay, correction on the Mach meter - the museum piece in Ohio has a Mach 1 meter.

As Pam has pointed out from the manual, the graphics show a Mach 3 meter. So, we will in fact upgrade our Mach meter to one that is "more authentic". :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Okay, correction on the Mach meter - the museum piece in Ohio has a Mach 1 meter.

As Pam has pointed out from the manual, the graphics show a Mach 3 meter. So, we will in fact upgrade our Mach meter to one that is "more authentic". :-)
    Thanks Milton.. That will be awesome.. Theoretically i actually have someone coming to visit me today. . So i'll be waiting till tomorrow to jump back on the fde..

Theresanother curiosity i wnt to play with at some point in the future.. The bottom of this plane is flat, in a way that almost mimics and F-14, Now, Nasa hadnt even thought of their first lifting body at that point, so they wouldnt have taken into account, the amount of lift generated by that flat space, like the engineers at Grumman did twenty years later. But that lift would be there. it'll be intreresting to see how it plays into the behavior of the plane..

Time available has been limited but some progress to report.

Found the sweet spot for hi-res gauges for the vc panels, and Scott continues evolving the 2D panel and pop-ups. Scott also added a Mach 3 meter as an option.

Did some tweaking of the main gear to stiffen suspension while ensuring proper ride height, tweaked yoke animations, and yoke handles appearance.

Working to map the VC panels and gauges now.

EDIT: adding a gmax view of the VC panel and gauges construction just for interest
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-may-5-002.jpg   ms-2018-may-5-003.jpg   ms-2018-may-5-005.jpg  
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; May 5th, 2018 at 08:55.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks Bob; no problem; we are having too much fun :-)

Just wrapping up exterior work so I can get started with exterior texture mapping, and hopefully get some textures started while work continues in the other phases of the project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-may-5-009.jpg   ms-2018-may-5-011.jpg   ms-2018-may-5-012.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Milton this project is looking excellent!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Milton this project is looking excellent!
    Minor understatement...

LOL Thanks for the comments. I do find it exhilarating to fly too.

Now working on the tedious task of selecting some 5376 polys of the fuselage and engines by hand to map for texture application.

Because of the fuselage and engines being one big complex part, it makes mapping a real challenge. I am now through the bulk of the poly selections with only another 276 polys left to assign to one of the channel groups. Once that is done and verified, I can begin the mapping process selecting one channel at a time, applying the map view, generating the texture template, then applying the template texture to the mapped areas. It's all part of the fun. :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-may-5-013.jpg   ms-2018-may-5-014.jpg   ms-2018-may-6-015.jpg   ms-2018-may-6-016.jpg   ms-2018-may-6-017.jpg   ms-2018-may-6-018.jpg  

ms-2018-may-6-019.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Think of how much fun making the sheet metal was!

T

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Minor understatement...
    LOL 000Rick000 strives for perfection in every way.

So much so, I am happy to announce the Rick has joined the X-3 team to take responsibility for textures.

Welcome aboard Rick, and thanks.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Think of how much fun making the sheet metal was!

T
    I cannot even imagine the skills and time required to hand shape the sheet metal.

Oh my aching hands! Not another piece ...
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

LOL 000Rick000 strives for perfection in every way.

So much so, I am happy to announce the Rick has joined the X-3 team to take responsibility for textures.

Welcome aboard Rick, and thanks.
    Gonna need my sunnies, I think....lots of alphas and specs....wall to wall metal...

Blog Entries
    Nahhh. Mines only gonna have metal wings, with mighty mouse painted on the nose below the cocpit

LOL Thanks for the comments. I do find it exhilarating to fly too.

Now working on the tedious task of selecting some 5376 polys of the fuselage and engines by hand to map for texture application.

Because of the fuselage and engines being one big complex part, it makes mapping a real challenge. I am now through the bulk of the poly selections with only another 276 polys left to assign to one of the channel groups. Once that is done and verified, I can begin the mapping process selecting one channel at a time, applying the map view, generating the texture template, then applying the template texture to the mapped areas. It's all part of the fun. :-)
    Seeing these pics I do believe the X-3 would wear the color red nicely! (Maybe some white accents with black trim like a Pitts but in a style to suit the shape! Perhaps the entire vertical being white with that tapering down to become a cheat line and terminating at a point at the tip of the nose and a Pitts style burst pattern on the wing.)

Blog Entries
    Welll, keep in mind this lady isntyour normal prom date. More like "Janeys got a gun". its latterally unstable below .85 mach and requires a steady hand and a lot more skill than any other plane youve flown to fly. and then of course theres the fact that at mack 1.05 its quite possible if will try to kill you.

Blog Entries
    Terribly sorry. Couldn't resist

Just sent the X-3 to Rick's Paint Shop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails paintshop.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

When 1940's and 50's aircraft come to the paint shop, they are bare metal. They leave with paint.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

It starts....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails x-3.jpg  
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Materials Test passed! Let the creative process begin!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018-5-8_22-3-35-610.jpg  
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    What a pointy looking beast!

Looking good Milton!
    Thanks! I like it 'cause its got dual exhausts! :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails duals.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

That is looking great, unsurprisingly. You know it deserves to be painted like a bird with that long beak and scowl of a cockpit.

Blog Entries
    ok, my miondis sufficiently blown..

i remember that fiberboard looking back panel from modern laundry rooms in the fifties..The headliner is amazing..

Members who have read this thread: 2