Douglas X-3 Stiletto FSX Native - Page 7
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Douglas X-3 Stiletto FSX Native

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    thats great Milton.. Thank you..
    With the RF-61 released to beta, I should be able to switch over and focus on the X-3 more intently within the next few days.. It's going to be a major amount of fun ..
    Thanks, but no hurry Pam; lots to do yet. :-)

Take care of the P-61 for now.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Nose gear is done and tested.

Now trying to get a basic VC panel in place so it is available for Scott to populate temporarily for testing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vc1.jpg   vc2.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Nose gear is done and tested.

Now trying to get a basic VC panel in place so it is available for Scott to populate temporarily for testing.
    Ohhh those images.. With all Respect Ito-Sama.. eat your heart out ..

Maybe it's the way I fly it, I often have to bob my head around in the cockpit to see the runway on approach. Not so different from landing some of the hog nose radial powered fighters!

Cheers: T

Ohhh those images.. With all Respect Ito-Sama.. eat your heart out ..
    +1 Looks like a rocket on wheels.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Pam, Tom, and Scott: Updated package available for you.

Added a bit more infrastructure to the basic VC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-apr-28-005.jpg   ms-2018-apr-28-006.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Maybe it's the way I fly it, I often have to bob my head around in the cockpit to see the runway on approach. Not so different from landing some of the hog nose radial powered fighters!

Cheers: T
    With Miltons X-3 its easy, with Ito-Sama's, not so much. Like with everything i do, I use a mental image of the approach i'm making, once i'm pretty sure i'm lined up on a runway. That image plays out in my head, while i'm adjusting speed and watching my altitude.. As long as my hands dont start trembling, i'm in good shape ..

Blog Entries
    The X-3 over Fuji-Sama at Yokota AFB,,

Life hates me some days!

The X-3 exterior model is pretty much completed now with all the access doors and speed brake done. A few tweaks now and cleanup as necessary are left before moving forward.

Here we show the speed brake and the pilot's entry/exit door, also completed in the VC.
    Scott has made great progress on the 2D panel and popup panels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-apr-29-014.jpg   ms-2018-apr-29-007.jpg   ms-2018-apr-29-010.jpg   ms-2018-apr-29-011.jpg   ms-2018-apr-29-012.jpg   ms-2018-apr-29-013.jpg  

ms-2018-apr-29-006.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Ah yes, Fuji Yama from Yokota. The X-3 must have gotten there in one of the C-130's parked behind! We used to fly "stuff" from Travis to Yokota and back. No X-3's however... Or at least we can't confirm or deny...

Blog Entries
    I need so much more stick time in this it isnt funny. Its still like taking it out on its first date, every time i fly it. I just havent had th time to get to know it ell enough.. Thats definitely going to get fixed though..

I need so much more stick time in this it isnt funny. Its still like taking it out on its first date, every time i fly it. I just havent had th time to get to know it ell enough.. Thats definitely going to get fixed though..
    Take off: Flaps 3
    Climbout: Full AfterBurner to altitude
    At 250, begin rotate
    At 280, Flaps 2
    At 350, All flaps up
    Cruise less than 350, Flaps 1 (LE 10)
    Descent: Below FL180, less than M.92
    Appoach: Slow to <350 for long approach
    Below 350, flaps 1
    Below 300, gear down, flaps 2
    Below 260, full flaps
    Maintain 250 to short final
    Landing: slow to 240-255 over the fence for touchdown contact

Speed brake may be used anytime, any speed, any altitude - affects only drag (I rarely need it)

See chart
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Approach Technique.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

NACA pilots are clamoring for a ride :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-apr-29-018.jpg   ms-2018-apr-29-019.jpg   ms-2018-apr-29-020.jpg   ms-2018-apr-29-022.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Loving the progress of this aircraft from "Shupeworks" ! Mike

Blog Entries
    Here's my curiosity.
    What will the difference between the two sims be, in the way they handle the adverse yaw/pitch at Mach 1.05?? That could be a bit of a challenge making them both behave the same..

Blog Entries
    OK, so late last night/Extremely early this morning ( 2AM) I started blending in the NACA/Nasa Data with the FDE provided by Milton. I even added the seemingly backwards CG Aft and forward limits. I also saved off Miltonsairfile and replaced it with the one I had started while working on Ito_Sama's version, into which i added the Naca/Nasa data relevant to the Air file. I think youll agree after watching this that i need to reloacate all the Naca/Nasa airfile data, over to Miltons airfile. After inserting all the data, I turned on shadow play and recorded the very first flight of the full, base fde. I've never broken a horse before, but i imagine it must be something like your about to see. The recording was at 6AM this morning. Since then, Ive gotten light years beyond this.. Truth told, this is one of the best first flights, i have ever had in an aircraft. Usually they spin wildly out of control or bounce up and do back flips.. This is a good start.. Enjoy..

Nope...you didn't crash and burn...

Making some progress on several fronts ...

Exterior: Window seals, wheel chocks, wheel and tire textures

Interior: Yoke, X-3 Emblem on the yoke, VC interior windows (no outside reflections) in rubber seals, side wall insulated covers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-apr-30-001.jpg   ms-2018-apr-30-004.jpg   ms-2018-apr-30-005.jpg   ms-2018-apr-30-006.jpg   ms-2018-apr-30-007.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    was just flying this .. .. Thats looking so good in so many ways, it ain't funny. Beautiful job on the flaps too and speed brake too.. hell, i'm in love..

Still working on blending things. Currently the elevator has a bit too much authority and the plane complains at anything over 4G's. I'm tempted to practically flatten out the angle of attack rate. This thing wasnt exactly an aerobatic plane anyway, and at seven hundred mph, i imagine the G's pile on real fast. Should have something by the end of the week though..

Pam

was just flying this .. .. Thats looking so good in so many ways, it ain't funny. Beautiful job on the flaps too and speed brake too.. hell, i'm in love..

Still working on blending things. Currently the elevator has a bit too much authority and the plane complains at anything over 4G's. I'm tempted to practically flatten out the angle of attack rate. This thing wasnt exactly an aerobatic plane anyway, and at seven hundred mph, i imagine the G's pile on real fast. Should have something by the end of the week though..

Pam
    Pam, I believe the best description of handling and stalling characteristics is described in this NACA test document I sent:

STABILITY AND CONTROL CHARACTERISTICS OBTAINED DURING
    DEMONSTRATION OF THE DOUGLAS X- 3 RESEARCH AIRPLANE

I believe the pos G no flaps was set at 6.5 which was attained during one test flight. I have the cockpit shaking and rumbling starting at 5G's I think; that can be changed.
    Attached are the Load Factors from data I sent.

AoA at cruise was 2 degrees, I read somewhere but can't find it at the moment. At speeds less than 350IAS, the LE flaps need to be set at 10 degrees.

RE: Elevator authority, see attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails loadfactors.jpg   controls.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    thanks Milton..I'll have another read through. The load data i am very grateful for. I've been looking for that for some time. Now i can put everything into its right place. Caan even almost begin visualizing the chain of events leading to the coupled effects. I'm still working on getting the nose to not bounce when the elevator is used. otherwise, the plane is currently in a stable and controllable configuration for the moment. I'm currently working on all the coefficients in the air file and weeding my way through those. It may take a while but hopefully not too long. Tonight, I'm taking off work to get a little rest. I've been pushing both ends of the candle with the P-61 and X-3 and i'm a little tired.. Gonna get a good nights rest.
    I'm still trepidatious about making the plane reach out and bite you at exactly 1.05 Mach. Still unsure how to go about doing that, but hoping perhaps once i have everything else correct, it'll do it on its own. I'm considering adding in the various station weights and locations as well, like i did with the OzX goose redux. Currently its a great plane to fly.. Lots of fun.

thanks Milton..I'll have another read through. The load data i am very grateful for. I've been looking for that for some time. Now i can put everything into its right place. Caan even almost begin visualizing the chain of events leading to the coupled effects. I'm still working on getting the nose to not bounce when the elevator is used. otherwise, the plane is currently in a stable and controllable configuration for the moment. I'm currently working on all the coefficients in the air file and weeding my way through those. It may take a while but hopefully not too long. Tonight, I'm taking off work to get a little rest. I've been pushing both ends of the candle with the P-61 and X-3 and i'm a little tired.. Gonna get a good nights rest.
    I'm still trepidatious about making the plane reach out and bite you at exactly 1.05 Mach. Still unsure how to go about doing that, but hoping perhaps once i have everything else correct, it'll do it on its own. I'm considering adding in the various station weights and locations as well, like i did with the OzX goose redux. Currently its a great plane to fly.. Lots of fun.
    Pam, there is no hurry. Project is just getting started. Model has a long way to go yet, then textures, VC, sounds, docs, etc.

No need to punish yourself here. Focus on the things that are important now; put this at the end of the list.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Making some progress in the VC with 3D gauge cages and bezels. The gauge code is 2D same as the 2D panel so they will be changeable by those who wish to do their own thing.

Thanks to Scott Thomas for all the new gauge works. Great stuff!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vc panel gauges.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Making some progress in the VC with 3D gauge cages and bezels. The gauge code is 2D same as the 2D panel so they will be changeable by those who wish to do their own thing.

Thanks to Scott Thomas for all the new gauge works. Great stuff!
    Cool...I like messing with 2D panels...

Blog Entries
    I'm loving these gauges, and the seal around the widows is first rate loving it all really..

Could you ask Mr. Thomas if he would be so kind as to extend the Mach speed indicater gauge out to Mach 2.5 Please?? My logic is the the plane was always intended to be a Mach 2 plane, and would have been designed as such, with gauges to support it.. Thanks in advance.

More soon ..

Addendum:
    FDE v Alpha 1.0 is ready to go to the devs for their perusal and testing. I will get that out to Milton in the next five minutes..I'm calling it the "Easy Chair" version. Really, a 747 should be this smooth. The reason I made it this smooth and stable was to get a controllable state to start the real work in. As is, the real plane made 43 flights, of which it experienced Adverse yaw/pitch in only three of the flights. I need to get the plane to the point where given the right amount of everything, including weather and wind, it will experience that same adverse yaw/pitch with the same freaquency as the real aircraft, and at the same speed.. Now that it's stable, i can do that. Time to do some more research and reading..
    Milton, Tom, Scott! I do hope you enjoy my humble offering. Turn off limited fuel and enjoy the view through those big panes of glass.. Milton? ould you please forward the fde to Mr. Thomas?? Thank you..

Pam

Members who have read this thread: 2