Fun Flying

Thread: Fun Flying

Hybrid View

Fun Flying

Sometimes we forget the idea that that this is something we do for recreational purposes.
    Recently I decided to take out one of the older projects for a few circles around the island airfield where most of my testing is done.

One picture that amazed me a bit was how well the P-40F camouflage blended in with the background.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P-40F_Camouflage.jpg  

Hello Ivan
    Yes indeed!
    This is one of the recent downloads champions with 71 hits.
    Very fine looking!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    "Why make it simple if you can also make it complicated?"

SOH Staff
    it's a great image and beautiful model, Kwong.
    funny you should mention fun flying.
    the other day, after a post by Guy,
    i went looking in my archives for the DB lancaster.
    while i was there, i stumbled across an old scenery
    we used in multi player games. it's called zrcanyon.
    basically, it's a maze like race course
    with 3600 foot high walls and tight corners.
    needless to say, i had to give it a go.
    'twas fun stuff.
    i just might have to take your p-40f over there for a little spin.
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks Guys,
    I was actually in the simulator trying to get a couple screenshots to post and afterwards, I just kept playing for a while.
    I like the look of this aeroplane because of the way the camouflage pattern turned out and because it really had not been done before in all the years Combat Flight Simulator has been around.

This is actually very funny how things turn out because years ago, I would never have called myself a fan of the P-40 and yet I probably now have more versions come out of my workshop than anyone has before.
    There are actually a couple more P-40s in the workshop in various stages that are stuck because of the very unreliable Development machine. For completeness there really should be about another three models at least and a substantial correction to the visual model of the P-40K that I released earlier.
    One thing that needs fixed is the dead gauge from the stock P51D that is included in all of the panels. That task does not need the AF99 Development Machine to accomplish.

I actually had not noticed that the download count had gotten so high. I am not really convinced that download count has much to do with the quality of a project though. I suppose that this is really a rare bird though. I don't believe there is another Merlin P-40 that isn't just an Allison version minus the Carburetor Scoop.

Time for more Fun Flying.....
    It is a lot more relaxing than doing more research.

- Ivan.

Flying a P-38 Lightning....

Saturday evening I spent a couple hours looking for some rather obscure information about the early P-38 Lightning.
    I ended up getting distracted as usual and ended up watching a wartime training film for the early P-38 by Milo Burcham.
    (Not really off topic, but I didn't need to watch the whole film.)

Afterwards, I felt inspired to take my own P-38F up for a spin in the virtual skies to finish up the evening.
    We had to get up fairly early Sunday and were expecting a long and busy day.

The Game Machine was on. ....But my P-38F was not loaded on it! Apparently I had never loaded my P-38F though the P-3J was there.
    It was well past midnight, so there was no point in looking for it on the Development Machine.
    I ended up checking out several other P-38's without any particular purpose in mind.

The one I ended up spending the most time with was not an early model but was the model I used to develop the flight model for my own Lightning.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LightningTestFlight.jpg   LightningFunFlight.jpg  

I spent about a half hour late last night in testing and looking over a new Merlin P-40F.
    One of the most annoying things was wobbling all over the runway on take-off; Engine torque is high and Directional control is low.

I decided to end the night on a more pleasant note with an aeroplane that doesn't have any noticeable engine torque or directional trim changes. The interesting coincidence was that this was the same aeroplane I used for my last post in this thread over a year ago.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails StraightTakeOff.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 1