P3d 4.2 now available
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P3d 4.2 now available

ya beat me to it

this is what ive been waiting for

• Added helicopter AI capabilities
    • Added helicopter autopilot functionality

So, if I read the instructions correctly, I have to uninstall 4.1 first, prior to installing this update?

If true, that stinks.....I have so much configured/installed. Am I reading that correctly? NC

Yay...just ordered a new rig, which should be here Wednesday. Alienware Aurora R7 with an Intel i7-8700, 16GB memory, 8GB NVIVIA GTX1080 and a 2 TB hard drive. Looking forward to turning up the sliders (finally).
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    So, if I read the instructions correctly, I have to uninstall 4.1 first, prior to installing this update?

If true, that stinks.....I have so much configured/installed. Am I reading that correctly? NC
    No need to uninstall the entire program. Uninstall the "Prepar3d v4 Client" using the Add/Remove feature that comes with your OS (in Windows 10 they call it Apps) and then install the newer client...you will need to re-activate the install, but no need to uninstall any scenery, etc.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

you do a full uninstalled all your settings will be saved on your system and wont be overwritten when you reinstall unless you delete the folders in your users/appdata and program data on c drive

its save to do a lot

if you only do the client, you wont get the new aircraft and rain fx, so you need to install the content for those, i can confirm the new aircraft arent in the client

just make sure you deactivate it first otherwise when toy are finished your activation will require a reset from LM and that can take up to a few days

sometimes its easier to just do the lot, that way you capture all the new content

if you do a full reinstall you will need to reinstall FTX global and your rex addons

regardless there will be several aircraft that wont work including tacpack if you have it

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    you do a full uninstalled all your settings will be saved on your system and wont be overwritten when you reinstall unless you delete the folders in your users/appdata and program data on c drive

its save to do a lot

if you only do the client, you wont get the new aircraft and rain fx, so you need to install the content for those, i can confirm the new aircraft arent in the client

just make sure you deactivate it first otherwise when toy are finished your activation will require a reset from LM and that can take up to a few days

sometimes its easier to just do the lot, that way you capture all the new content

if you do a full reinstall you will need to reinstall FTX global and your rex addons

regardless there will be several aircraft that wont work including tacpack if you have it
    Matt,

Thanks for your reply. So if I do a complete uninstall/reinstall, I would have to reinstall everything I currently have in P3DV4.1?

So much work. Wish there was a simpler way. LM calls it a "update", but having to completely uninstall/reinstall V4 seems to me more like a completely new version. Argh....

NC

Matt,

Thanks for your reply. So if I do a complete uninstall/reinstall, I would have to reinstall everything I currently have in P3DV4.1?

So much work. Wish there was a simpler way. LM calls it a "update", but having to completely uninstall/reinstall V4 seems to me more like a completely new version. Argh....

NC

no you wont, just ftx global and rex textures (sorry not programs)everything else will remain as you left it

There's lots of tutorials and videos all over the internet. This the tutorial from the P3D forums that I used for the first
    update to v4.1. I don't think anythings changed:

https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120861

Hope that helps - Rob

Well, I installed the client and I'm told that F1 GTN 750/600 needs to be updated! Now I have to wait GTN 750 is updated!

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by sidler View Post
    Well, I installed the client and I'm told that F1 GTN 750/600 needs to be updated! Now I have to wait GTN 750 is updated!

Dick
    But if I understood Matt's comments correctly, if I simply choose the "Client" option, the new helicopters will not be installed? NC

just do client and content and you will get 100% of all the new features and if developers do updates with the new content you are covered

if you want to cover all bases do the lot, LM normally recommend do the lot, but everyone whines, so thats why say as a bare minimum you can get away with just client

I will certainly be waiting until obrx and activesky make there 4.2 updates. Last time I deleted my P3D folder and re-installed but orbx did not like that so I will running uninstal when the time comes. They stated updates in all three parts although the client has the most so there is advantages in doing a complete uninstall.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

just do client and content and you will get 100% of all the new features and if developers do updates with the new content you are covered

if you want to cover all bases do the lot, LM normally recommend do the lot, but everyone whines, so thats why say as a bare minimum you can get away with just client
    Got it, thanks. Promised wife we would go to Valentine's Day dinner early this evening (we never celebrate such things on actual days, i.e.Mothers Day, etc.... WAY too long wait times at restaurants!) But most likely tomorrow I will attempt the update! Thanks. NC

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    I will certainly be waiting until obrx and activesky make there 4.2 updates. Last time I deleted my P3D folder and re-installed but orbx did not like that so I will running uninstal when the time comes. They stated updates in all three parts although the client has the most so there is advantages in doing a complete uninstall.
    hmmm im reverting back to v4.1 for a while, she a bit stuttery for me, theres definitely a conflict somewhere with the new content and dlls

however the first aerosoft airbus is due in the next week, they are saying you will need 4.2

that did the trick

with a full install of 4.2 then uninstall only the 4.2 client then reinstall of the 4.1 client, ive kept all new content and no more stutters and sime is running smooth and all my addons work fine

in the next week or so when every one updates their dlls, i will reinstall the 4.2 client

that did the trick

with a full install of 4.2 then uninstall only the 4.2 client then reinstall of the 4.1 client, ive kept all new content and no more stutters and sime is running smooth and all my addons work fine

in the next week or so when every one updates their dlls, i will reinstall the 4.2 client
    Ok, now I am confused all over again. I think perhaps I need to take a break for a few hours, and revisit this topic. .NC

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    They already have. Just sign up to FastLane and let FTX Central update itself. All done.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/...d-v42-support/

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

"Ask and ye shall receive" (and "the best things come to those who wait"): http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=123106

I've gotta say that LM are brilliant at listening to their customers.

Now, who will be the first to upload a video of AI helicopters?!

"Added support for ground based waypoint and wingman AI"... now those are gonna be phenomenal!

I've also gotta say the download of the full ~12Gb is extremely fast!! :-)

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Yes, the "added helicopter autopilot functionality" caught my eye. I wonder if that can be extended to non-default choppers,
    including FSX port-overs, or if it's only for the LM default helicopters.

Anyway, I will be waiting a day or two for the dust to clear and third party devs to add patches (I see Active Sky now has a
    beta compatibility patch out, with the proper release patch to follow in a couple of days).

- Rob

For anyone that's updated the content part along with the client part, have you noticed any ill effects on your v4.2 SimObjects,
    Effects, Gauges, etc. folders?

I was just re-reading the tutorial on updating, and was reminded (and I quote):

"Note: Completing a Content Update will possible overwrite files like effects, Simobjects, sounds and textures that have been Modified
    by 3rd Party Software (Add On's)"

I just did do my regular everything-including-the-kitchen-sink system backup, so a good time to upgrade, but I was wondering if anyone
    had anything to report. I didn't upgrade the content last time, but I might do it this time for the new default helicopters.

Thanks - Rob

Wow! Mixed news at best, seeing all the challenges that are accompanying the update. I think I will wait till the developers catch up to modifying all their stuff to 4.2 or risk losing some features that currently are working quite well right now.

Thanks for the news.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    Wow! Mixed news at best, seeing all the challenges that are accompanying the update. I think I will wait till the developers catch up to modifying all their stuff to 4.2 or risk losing some features that currently are working quite well right now.

Thanks for the news.
    Yep, am in agreement for now. I have things working ok, and if something can go wrong, it will happen to me. Speaking for myself..."patience, Grasshopper"

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    For anyone that's updated the content part along with the client part, have you noticed any ill effects on your v4.2 SimObjects,
    Effects, Gauges, etc. folders?

I was just re-reading the tutorial on updating, and was reminded (and I quote):

"Note: Completing a Content Update will possible overwrite files like effects, Simobjects, sounds and textures that have been Modified
    by 3rd Party Software (Add On's)"

I just did do my regular everything-including-the-kitchen-sink system backup, so a good time to upgrade, but I was wondering if anyone
    had anything to report. I didn't upgrade the content last time, but I might do it this time for the new default helicopters.

Thanks - Rob
    none with the exception of orbx and Tacpack, everything works fine, dynamic lighting works better as for effects etc i use >https://www.fsreborn.com/ai-lights-reborn-free-edition

its a handy freeware addon that improves many lighting fx with next to no impact, i now can run ai with dynamic lighting at 100% at major airports light FSDT LAXv2

while most people only say install the client, you are missing the bulk of the updates as they are contained in the content. so far i havent had a content update ruin P3D, right now even though i did a full install and then just reverted the client, I have all new simobjects, fx and fixes, i will do a client update when the tacpack is ready or i get my airbus in the next week, orbx have already patched 4.2

the client just updates the version number and any problems in the core dlls and cfgs, it doesnt add anything additional, every update p3d they have added additional features, aircraft, fx in the content.exe, your shooting yourself in the foot by missing out new features if you ignore the content updates

i use the p3d FB grou, they were telling everyone last update to only install the client, it was only after a few weeks of the new content they all rushed to install it, it pays to read the update details from start to finish as they normally highlight the new stuff towards the end of the war and peace post

mind you the nemeth CH53 that is included is horribly dated, but the new Romeo and hawk helo arent bad, and the several plus additional simobjects are pretty cool

Members who have read this thread: 0