Milviz Beaver, toolips don't work

Thread: Milviz Beaver, toolips don't work

Milviz Beaver, toolips don't work

Just got the Milviz Beaver, very glad I got it.
    Has anyone had a problem with the majority of the click-on tooltips not working?
    This is the only plane that tooltips don't work in. Just a few do work, such as the landing light switch and the fuel selector handle. most everything else does not tell you what the item is when it is pointed to.
    Its' something I can do without, but it's nice to have when learning a new plane.
    Thanks for any ideas.

What sim are you running it in Rudyjo? I have the exact same issue (in FSX) with their Bobcat.

I'm using FSX with Acceleration.

The landing light switch, fuel selector handle, most radio buttons, fuel handle cut-off lever and the yoke- hide tooltips work.
    There are probably another 20 items that can be pointed at and the hand will highlight it, but nothing shows as to what you are pointing at.
    I looked at the Milviz forum, nothing has been mentioned about them not working. Every other plane I have works fine.
    The Milviz Beaver is really a nice plane, I also got the expansion package with it, glad it's on sale.
    Hopefully someone can come up with an answer as to why they don't work.

Are you run the sim in full screen? The tool tips works in windowed mode.
    Eduardo

As you were told in the Cantina, you must install as administrator. It has been explained repeatedly, that is your problem.
    Sue
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...nistrator-quot

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    As you were told in the Cantina, you must install as administrator. It has been explained repeatedly, that is your problem.
    Sue
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...nistrator-quot
    If you read post #7 in the other thread I started, you will see that I did end up installing the exe.file by using "Run as Administrator". I also noted that it made no difference, the tooltips still do not work properly.

Are you absolutely sure the tooltips you are searching for actually exist? The do not appear by magic and have to be coded into the model by it's designer/development team. If Milviz didn't bother to add tooltips to all buttons and switches nothing you do will make the slightest difference. If they didn't code them in they will never appear for you.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    Are you absolutely sure the tooltips you are searching for actually exist? The do not appear by magic and have to be coded into the model by it's designer/development team. If Milviz didn't bother to add tooltips to all buttons and switches nothing you do will make the slightest difference. If they didn't code them in they will never appear for you.
    That is possible. I am hoping that someone else who has the Milviz Beaver will reply and let me know if their tooltips work as mine do or if they work on everything that is clickable.
    It would seem strange that they would make it work on Landing lights, but not nav lights or beacon lights, or panel lights.

I have the issue with the Bobcat. Evidently they were looking for a fix that never materialised.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I have the issue with the Bobcat. Evidently they were looking for a fix that never materialised.
    Looks like I may have spent the last couple of days trying to fix something that can't be fixed. If nothing else, I learned a little more about how the computer works.

Thanks for the reply, still hoping someone who has the Beaver will confirm that it is a known problem and not something in the way I installed it.

Would you be running it in DX10 preview mode? Although I don't have any of the Milviz aircraft, a similiar thing happened when I turned on the DX10 preview, my aircraft tooltips disappeared. After turning off the DX10 preview, they came back. I've got FSX Acceleration.
    Mark

Dx10 shows tool tips in windowed mode.
    SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    Would you be running it in DX10 preview mode? Although I don't have any of the Milviz aircraft, a similiar thing happened when I turned on the DX10 preview, my aircraft tooltips disappeared. After turning off the DX10 preview, they came back. I've got FSX Acceleration.
    No, DX10 preview is not on. Tooltips on all my planes work except for the few I mentioned on the Milviz Beaver.
    Either it is a case that was mentioned here that Milviz never set up the tooltip options on the majority of the clickable spots, or there is still something about my installation that went wrong both times.
    I would love to hear from someone who has the Beaver and let me know how their tooltips work.

. . . didn't materialise for the Bobcat, and the problem appears to have been repeated in the Beaver (and probably the Otter?). I haven't got the latter two products - even tho the aircraft appeal - because I'm wary of the publisher's support for their FSX users.

Quote Originally Posted by Portia911 View Post
    . . . didn't materialise for the Bobcat, and the problem appears to have been repeated in the Beaver (and probably the Otter?). I haven't got the latter two products - even tho the aircraft appeal - because I'm wary of the publisher's support for their FSX users.
    I have no inside information, but I feel that the aircraft were probably designed using a P3D sdk and modified for FsX use.
    SYSTEM :

I have no inside information, but I feel that the aircraft were probably designed using a P3D sdk and modified for FsX use.
    I suspect you're right, Roger - and that's all well and good, so long as the FSX user is not literally sold short in terms of what the product delivers.

Full disclosure: I am not a tooltips user and primarily sim in P3D.

Tooltips in the Milviz Beaver P3D are pretty much what has been described in this thread. Likely not an issue with P3D to FSX conversion.

More likely the visibility of tooltips is a function of which cockpit controls use default sim animations/variables, i.e., cockpit controls that use custom LVars or external programs will likely not show tooltips.

Theoretically, MS provided a way to code custom tooltips but no one I've heard of has been able to make them consistently work. I've seen nothing in any P3D changelog or version update that mentions improving or correcting this inconsistent behavior.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    Theoretically, MS provided a way to code custom tooltips but no one I've heard of has been able to make them consistently work. I've seen nothing in any P3D changelog or version update that mentions improving or correcting this inconsistent behavior.
    Tooltips are not rocket science and are basically just a text string added to a block of code. It only requires the addition of one single line of text when making the block of code for the mouse rectangle. If you add the line the tooltip will show, if you leave it out then nothing will show regardless of what the end user does. There is nothing inconsistent about it, it's either there (if coded) or it isn't.

It gets a bit more complicated if you also want the tooltip to display real time data as well as text but not overly so.

Some designers/developers/coders are very diligent about adding toolitips as they can be useful while others, unfortunately, can't be bothered to add it if it's not stock code they are using.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    Tooltips are not rocket science and are basically just a text string added to a block of code. It only requires the addition of one single line of text when making the block of code for the mouse rectangle. If you add the line the tooltip will show, if you leave it out then nothing will show regardless of what the end user does. There is nothing inconsistent about it, it's either there (if coded) or it isn't.

It gets a bit more complicated if you also want the tooltip to display real time data as well as text but not overly so.

Some designers/developers/coders are very diligent about adding toolitips as they can be useful while others, unfortunately, can't be bothered to add it if it's not stock code they are using.
    Glad you understand it better than me. As I mentioned, not a tooltips user here. Never a 2D panel user either.

Members who have read this thread: 0