New 3D sound set for Manfred Jahn & Team's C-47 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 3D sound set for Manfred Jahn & Team's C-47

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    I remember a guy name Adam Murphy did a C-47 set using the [prop] command years ago. Seems he was right in doing it that way.
    Yep, and the result is here: https://library.avsim.net/search.php...root&Go=Search

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    I'm not sure how you are doing it wrong....but this conversation piqued my interest...so I added the new sound set [as a parallel setup to the original] and it works just fine.
    Startup sounds....and all the others.
    People who develop new Panels for a/c often have multiple panel files in an a/c config, just as sound devs do. It's not rocket science [more aircraft eng - pun]...

BTW....am still wondering what or where the 'DGSounds.ini' file is as nothing such was needed to be edited...

In the DGSounds ini file, the path to each sound is Soundxx=\panel\DGSounds\
    If you rename the panel folder to panel.something else, that path is then to the
    panel folder still, so either you do not hear the new sounds, as they are being read
    from your original folder or if you have renamed all your panel files, they will not
    be read at all and there will be no sounds.

I suppose the fix of making a new panel.something else file would not actually stop
    the sounds, if there is still a folder named panel but the new start up files would not
    be played unless the ini file was edited to reflect the new path to them.

As before, the user is entitled to do whatever they want to with the files and adding
    a new sound folder and referencing it in the aircraft.cfg entry is entirely valid.
    There is however this small issue of the engine cranking sounds, which in the case
    of this aircraft are not inside the sound folder.

For this reason, it was my suggestion that it would be simpler all round just to have
    two installations of this aircraft, if both sound sets are to be installed together.
    Regards,
    Nick

Nice one Nick
    Regards

TE

Again, where the heck is this 'DGSounds.ini' file?
    I don't have one....and I didn't misplace it as I looked in the archived download as well.
    I keep an 'original' so as I don't screw up modding installs with new panels [or in this case also reworked paintkits and my own paints]...

Edit....I think I found the one you mean, but it's not that...it's 'Cockpitsounds_C47.ini' ...and redirecting that is a 5 second job.
    [took longer to find it]...

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Again, where the heck is this 'DGSounds.ini' file?
    I don't have one....and I didn't misplace it as I looked in the archived download as well.
    I keep an 'original' so as I don't screw up modding installs with new panels [or in this case also reworked paintkits and my own paints]...
    No one mentioned a DGSounds.ini file.
    This is what I wrote:

In the DGSounds ini file
    If you look in the DGSounds folder, you will see only one ini file.
    Regards,
    Nick

Nick....if you had said 'the ini file in the DGSounds folder' all this grief would be averted...
    If you stick your ear close to the monitor you'll hear all these new sounds working just fine.....on the only C-47 I've flown in in the past 63 years....[though there was another one when I was 2 weeks old]

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gooney.jpg  

As I said, one can do anything one wants with the files, even edit the ini file.

Before "all this grief" my suggestion was that the simplest way to have all of both sound choices working
    would be to have two separate folders for the aircraft, each with all the files from each choice in them.
    In this way, if an aircraft from the folder with Ted's sounds was selected, all the sounds from the original would be played.
    If an aircraft from the new folder with Mike's sounds in it was chosen, all the files from Mike's alternative would be played.
    No editing would be required.

Since then, there seems to have been a small avalanche of posts suggesting the obvious method but it takes no account
    of the engine crank sounds.
    If one does not notice or indeed care that the new engine crank sounds are not being played, then so be it.
    If one does, then simply renaming Mike's sound file and referencing it in the aircraft.cfg file will not play them.
    If one copies the new engine crank sounds over Ted's, then again there will be a small mismatch with Ted's engine sounds
    because his engine crank sounds will be gone.

If one wants to add a second panel.new name folder with the new engine crank sounds in it, all the file paths in the "ini file in the DGSounds folder"
    must be edited to reflect the new name for the panel.new name folder, or the aircraft will continue to play the sounds from the panel folder.
    This is not "rocket science" either but is far more long winded than having two C47 folders, obviously with different names and each with
    a full copy of the engine and bespoke sound sets in it.

Regards,
    Nick

Ah, but 2 full installs of the aircraft still requires the name-changing of each and every aircraft entry in the [second] aircraft.cfg file, and is also going to be wasteful space-wise and incur marginally longer load times [as there are now more aircraft] - a particular concern for the painters as we'll end up with 'squillions' of them...
    I have 28 paints, 26 of whom are my own.

If you wanted to have the choice of both versions of the sound in each aircraft, whichever way
    you chose to do this would require a new aircraft.cfg file entry for every repaint and a new name
    for each one.

This would not seem to make sense.

The idea would be to choose which aircraft repaint you wanted to have each version
    of the sound, not to have either version of the sound in every aircraft.

Then ensure that there are no identical aircraft repaints in each of the two folders.
    You would have no more texture folders than before, one more panel folder and one
    more sound folder.
    This cannot be avoided.
    The only duplications would be the model folders, 120 mb and maybe not all of them,
    the aircraft.cfg and .air files, 56kb
    Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I've always keep his sounds in the mix... though I call it (sound.AM). I've never posted this one, but it does have the [prop] calls and changed the (rparams) on the cruise sound... slowed it down compared to the original sound. All sounds are the same as the original, just now converted to [prop] instead of [combustion]. Wasn't sure shutdown would sound ok doing it that way, but a few simple changes made that work to. This will be implemented in the Monty's C-47.

So now we have what 8+ DC-3/C-47 sound to play with!!!

Something to do since I couldn't fly out of here do to the horrilbe weather back east (USA), so stayed home with the flu.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

I've always keep his sounds in the mix... though I call it (sound.AM). I've never posted this one, but it does have the [prop] calls and changed the (rparams) on the cruise sound... slowed it down compared to the original sound. All sounds are the same as the original, just now converted to [prop] instead of [combustion]. Wasn't sure shutdown would sound ok doing it that way, but a few simple changes made that work to. This will be implemented in the Monty's C-47.
    Feel free to post it. I'd use it, if I ever get my DC-3 out of the shop again.

Oh dear, I feel responsible for all this, so sorry for any negative waves, I have both sound sets with in the C-47 v3.14 folder, one sound, which is Mike's, and the other sound.old, which is TuFun's, I have 30 C-47's ( the only way to replace a C-47 is with another C-47!) 15 of the are pointed to sound= file and the other 15 are pointed to sound=old in the aircraft cfg, it does work for me, with no problems, I do take your point Nick and I'm on the lookout for anything odd!

Adam Murphy's sound set power my FSX DC-3's and Manfreds C-47 v1 and v2, now all we need is an inertia starter like all the DC-3's and C-47's that I've heard start up in the Movies!!!

I have Monty's DAK!!!, that sounds fantastic too TuFun!!!, looking forward to it coming out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wringoon View Post
    Oh dear, I feel responsible for all this, so sorry for any negative waves, I have both sound sets with in the C-47 v3.14 folder, one sound, which is Mike's, and the other sound.old, which is TuFun's, I have 30 C-47's ( the only way to replace a C-47 is with another C-47!) 15 of the are pointed to sound= file and the other 15 are pointed to sound=old in the aircraft cfg, it does work for me, with no problems, I do take your point Nick and I'm on the lookout for anything odd!

Adam Murphy's sound set power my FSX DC-3's and Manfreds C-47 v1 and v2, now all we need is an inertia starter like all the DC-3's and C-47's that I've heard start up in the Movies!!!
    That would be the Wright R-1820 Cyclone radials (9 cylinders). Adam has a set in the works (2014), but I think it never got released. He's having a hard time for awhile and hope life gets better for him. I used his PW R2800's for the Howard 500.

His video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXhKcpb_Oa0

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

That would be the Wright R-1820 Cyclone radials (9 cylinders). Adam has a set in the works (2014), but I think it never got released. He's having a hard time for awhile and hope life gets better for him. I used his PW R2800's for the Howard 500.

His video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXhKcpb_Oa0
    Check his channel, he confirms in his latest video that he's basically back on track. Hope he'll have time to do more soundsets for FSX.

Thanks TuFun, you learn something new each day, hope Adam all right, his work is amazing, as is your, sound just as important as looks!!!

1830 Sounds

Mike
    This is a truly outstanding sound package. I'm now adapting to P3D V4 and in using the Jahn C-47 / DC3 and as others have mentioned I no longer hear the cockpit sounds. In addition I don't hear the engion cranking sounds either although everything else seems fine. Do you know if there is a fix for the cranking sounds.
    Thanks
    Warren (aspen31)

Hi Warren,

I think you need to install the 64-bit version of Douglas S. Dawson's XML for all the cockpit sound effects...

Haven't done it myself because I'm still using P3Dv3, but it shouldn't be that hard

Check out this thread --> http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ased?p=1090009

Cheers,

Mike

Mike
    Thanks. I do recall reading that thread but of course almost immediately forgot about the new gauge. I'll have a go at fixing it.
    Take care
    Warren

Members who have read this thread: 2