Sikorsky S-58 FSX native alpha test (mebe the Wessex, too) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sikorsky S-58 FSX native alpha test (mebe the Wessex, too)

Laz, I am having mostly good success running your conversions to FSX native models in P3Dv4. What will preclude that is where the files include 32 bit dll's or gauges ending with ".gau" I encountered this - only once so far - with your conversion of Wolfi's SB2C. No worries though as want this for AI in my P3D Solomons set up and I won't need the panel files. Again, keep those MDX conversions coming. Won't ask if you take requests (think I just did though, lol!).
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Panels...those are easy to fix up, so I don't worry about 'em much.
    The poor old Wessex... at this point, and probably for the foreseeable future, is looking like a non-starter. Many of the folding rotor head bits are on the same hierarchy node as cockpit seats and other interior bits, with no way to break those out. It's not impossible, it would simply require a rather involved rebuild- a new rotor head, pitch links, seats, cockpit frames and overhead consoles. Haven't binned it, but...it's right at the point where it's almost easier to start from scratch. Never say never, though it's going to take more ambition than's available in the bunker at this point, damn me.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Many of the folding rotor head bits are on the same hierarchy node as cockpit seats and other interior bits, with no way to break those out.
    The problem here is that inanimate parts of the same material are merged together when exported to a FSX mdl. This wasn't as easy to resolve as I had anticipated!
    As ever easy in theory.
    1. Delete all of the materials except the one you want, in this case also the other 'sideb' material.
    2. In the hierarchy editor delete the remaining animated parts. Don't worry about empty nodes, they will be lost.
    3. Save as a .X file in case you make any mistakes.
    4. Now delete the unwanted rotor head parts.
    5. Export as a FSX mdl for merging back later.

Please note, this is only possible with some fs9 mdls, but hopefully useful anyway.

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, used that method a few times to sort things out. Not sure if the Cab's will yield to that, there's a lot of stuff on that node, and the folding rotor head must have the rotor still visibility condition- that node has cockpit and consoles, tail fold bulkheads, a lot of stuff...but! Some good news. The RAF Wessex's are a straight-ahead job- no blade fold.
    This is good, and I'm trying to get in touch with Mr. Franklin. Some Wessex's are better than no Wessex's!
    From a start with the RAF machines, it is then quite doable to butch out a new folding rotor head, isolate the folding blades- they're on a unique node! merge those and the new folding head into the RAF machine interior node, and (probably) combine with the RN Cab's hulls. That's the mid-range plan. It looks doable, but the RAF machines would be enormously welcome, and would sub in for the Cab's quite nicely. I be monkeying with that over the-ahem-'early winter, politically incorrect, offensive to leftists and genocidal religionists of the eurabian union's new state religion December non-celebratory non-holiday period formerly known as XXXXXXmas'...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy92 View Post
    Thanks for this great conversion Lazarus! (P.s. the word 'Lazarus' in Dutch is slang for being drunk)
    Now if someone has the time to do a Royal Netherlands navy paint I would be even more happy

Cheers,
    Randy
    Well, if there is a Paintkit I'm willing to do it.
    I already did a quick and dirty repaint of the Alphasim S-55.

Cees

This one....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Westland-2018-sep-10-001.jpg  

Any Further Progress on this model? I've been Busy is all...

(The Numbers have been corrected on nose of '63)
    any news would be appreciated

Kind Regards,

Hooky
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thumbnail_1.jpg   thumbnail_2.jpg   thumbnail_3.jpg  

Hooky,

Do you have a paintkit for this model? Or can you point me in the direction where to download this kit?

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Hooky,

Do you have a paintkit for this model? Or can you point me in the direction where to download this kit?

Cees
    I'm Afraid not Cees, at least I don't know of one. These were made using the Original textures underneath as a basis and working from there. Its an awkward way of working (with lots of trial, error and swearing involved) but I'm reasonably pleased with the results, I used the same Technique for the paints I made for the FS9 version years ago. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Hooky

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Lookin' good, Hooky. Never seen a paint kit, though. I'm a MS Paint sort of graphics hack.
    Haven't been doing much hobby stuff this year; had to turn the flame thrower on the marxist infestation eating our civilization - a large chore! Fortunately, it is also a lucrative task; the market for conservative-libertarian scribbling has exploded as the leftoids lost the initiative and the soyboys/mooks/trigglypuffs made themselves such easy ( large, slow, dumb ) targets. Good times, and street fightin', too.
    All the projects are stashed on BU drives. can't say when I'll feel the urge for passive recreating. Some day, once these pussy-hatted dorks have been chipped down to size.

Fair enough Lazarus hope you have a chance to get back to it soon. I'll keep these handy until then.

Members who have read this thread: 2