F9F-6 Cougar for FSX-not Robs, though...

Thread: F9F-6 Cougar for FSX-not Robs, though...

Members +
    Blog Entries

F9F-6 Cougar for FSX-not Robs, though...

So we don't hijack the thread about Robert's WIP kitty cat.
    Attachment 56100Attachment 56101
    I took it back through the frobulator, fooled around with the materials, so there's three models to monkey with
    SATS-specular assigned to self, to the diffuse texture. Nice and shiny.
    FSX2- external spec maps no bump maps
    BFaS- Bump, spec and fresnel ramp assigned- those are 'blank' place holders.
    They all look good, the SATS model is the glossiest. All display just fine- see photographic evidence. The VC is set up for the Alpha Tiger, copy over the interior model, the texture cfg's are aliased back to the Tiger. I don't know what a reasonable freeware VC might be. The Swift, maybe? Has the right shaped windscreen and canopy, opening geometry is the same. The model never had a general release VC. Ito-San did do a VC, but kept it in a box, and he's impossible to communicate with, shame.
    Have not adressed flying characteristics, deck manners, hook or cat points yet, distracted with other things.
    It's not up to latest and greatest standards, but it runs super fast, easy on resources, fun, cat-scratches my Cougar itch(...should get that looked at 'Po city cougars, you know...) Fills the gap ( what? more innuendo?) for today.

Attachment 56102

'Visual model can't be displayed' CDT.

Cees

SOH-CM-2020
    I'm also having a model that doesn't display in the sim.

Same issue as the previous one from the other Cougar thread.

Pete.

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Okay. 'Visual model cannot display' error= no Virtual Cockpit.
    Merge a VC, check the model cfg, set the eye points, add textures. If you have the Alphasim Grumman Tiger, copy the interior model to the model folders. Check the names in the model cfg, make sure they all match the models.

Model cfg for alpha tiger VC;

[models]
    normal=F9F Cougar_FSX_SATS
    interior=ALPHA_F11F_Tiger_interior

If you erase the 'interior' entry

[models]

Run the sim, you get an airplane.

If you want to use a freeware VC, the only one I can think of off hand that's close is the alpha Swift, it's in the library.
    Install the Swift in your airplanes folder-needed for textures.
    Copy the swift interior model to the model folder. Adjust the model cfg thus;

[models]
    interior=ALPHA_Swift_interiorX

Adjust the texture cfg for all except the texture.shared cfg file thus;

[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\texture.shared
    fallback.2=..\..\Supermarine_Swift(Alpha)_FSX_Nati ve\texture.shared
    fallback.3=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
    fallback.4=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\textur e

(with out that mystery space in 'native' that isn't in the message editor...)

Copy over panel folder

Open aircraft cfg, change eyepoints to Swift eyepoints

[Views]
    eyepoint=9.5, 0.00, 2.80

I have not flown this config, but it should work.

Folks, what can I say. I know it runs just fine on my box- not using DX 10. Don't know if that makes a difference. My set up is basically a fossil, same install since 2010, no windows updates since that win10 infiltration attempt, a new mobo but same HD...
    But. I know the error is a missing VC, or fractured VC callout in the cfg, that's what that error message is.

Part of an article I wrote for the Wash, DC TAILHOOK Chapter regarding the Cougar. Hope this will get attached for folks to read --
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cougar Notes.pdf  

Very good job Laz! Really do appreciate all the models you have converted to FSX, all the more so as they can also then be adapted for P3Dv4. Have filled crucial missing holes also for scarce AI that work in P3Dv4. Will try a merge of the Vertigo Panther VC and report back.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Works great on my machine. Thank you so much Lazarus!

Brian

Got it working now! Thanks!

Cees

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Good good. Some of these old ones, once they're displaying properly and can use self-shadow, get a VC in, they're really very nice. Still have the excess darkening on the rounddowns and trailing edges, but it's the only game in town. I'm always impressed at how these guys do so much on such low poly counts; gods know, I can't do better. Might have to womp up a probe for it so I can prod the Tradewind. Now, but for a Fury!
    The Panther VC works fine, just didn't like seeing straight wings and tip tanks outside. Except for the frame behind the seat missing, the Tiger VC is a very close match- almost identical- the Tiger's design departure point was the Cougar. Does the job for now!

Didn't Daisuke Yamamoto do a Panther with VC back in the day? What about that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Part of an article I wrote for the Wash, DC TAILHOOK Chapter regarding the Cougar. Hope this will get attached for folks to read --
    That's the kind of nerd stuff and infrormation I love. Never stop posting things like these!

For those who don't mind flying with a 2D panel try this one. This Panther panel is closer to a Cougar panel than some other aircraft.

It can be found at Flightsim.com. It is the old AH Panther download. https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib...rchid=60354519

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fsx_F9F_panther-screenshots-VC new.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	56180

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Didn't Daisuke Yamamoto do a Panther with VC back in the day? What about that one?
    The one I found by him was for 2002. . .
    http://simviation.com//fs2002military40.htm
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Members +
    Blog Entries
    I'll look at that again. I think I looked over the panther a while back- the external is great, I seem to recall that the VC had a number of holes appear in it in X. I could slide a poly into the cougar external cockpit. It would give a rudimentary VC-gauges and external view-as much as can be seen from inside. Probably the better hack is another VC. Unless somebody's got the rare FS9 cougar with a VC model... Dave Woosters VC...very basic- not criticizing! Better than what I can achieve!Shame those externals won't export properly. Or, cross the fingers for Roberts little gem, and refrob the panel for X- something we've been doing for years.

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    For those who don't mind flying with a 2D panel try this one. This Panther panel is closer to a Cougar panel than some other aircraft.

It can be found at Flightsim.com. It is the old AH Panther download. https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib...rchid=60354519

Since your link goes to nowhereville (works for you only) here is the filename fsx_f9f_panther.zip at Flightsim.com
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    The one I found by him was for 2002. . .
    http://simviation.com//fs2002military40.htm
    That's the one.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Dave Woosters VC...very basic- not criticizing! Better than what I can achieve!Shame those externals won't export properly.
    I think MCX will be able to cope with it now.

sorry about that link...

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Essex View Post
    I think MCX will be able to cope with it now.
    Oh? I'll load up the latest and have a look. What's changed?
    The issue I had before was the landing gear geometry came out messed up. The Mercator had the same problem. I'd end up with things sticking up through the top of the wings, gear squashed up into the wings on the down stroke, stuff like that. The -5 Neptune, too. Very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    What's changed?
    Not certain, possibly;

13-09-2017

[ModelConverterX] * Make sure animations always have a keyframe at time 0.0
    Arno Gerretsen - 09:05:15 PM

Hi,

I have the Vertigo Studio Panther and i did the merge with this interior model : FINE!

Thank's Lazarus!

JMC

Members who have read this thread: 0