Milviz Otter or Beaver?

Thread: Milviz Otter or Beaver?

Milviz Otter or Beaver?

I was planning on getting the Milviz DHC-2 Beaver, but now the DHC-3 Otter has been released. I most likely would not buy two somewhat similar planes.
    My taste is towards older, simple planes for flying in the back country.
    For those who have both Milviz planes, what advantage does the Otter have over the Beaver?
    If I get the Beaver, I would also get the expansion package.

Rudyo - Interesting question with no immediate answer except it will come back to your personal preference. The Beaver is a marvellous aeroplane and the MILVIZ version is amazing but I think you will not get the expansion pack but you get wheels, floats, amphibian, ski and tundra versions the expansion pack is the Beaver with a STOL kit and the spray boom version, which were later after factory mods to get them down even slower and into shorter strips. The MILVIZ Otter is also a high quality aeroplane and again the MILVIZ version is very good.

The Beaver is your six seat aeroplane but with a big load capacity the Otter is just a lot bigger with nearly double the load and a 11 pax capacity. Same wing aerofoil, same basic design flat floor tank, under floor, high strut wing and radial engines. They both basically fly and handle almost identically, the sound packages for both are excellent and the paint and texturing jobs excellent. Both will give you old fashioned instrumentation or more modern fit outs which you can alter easily via the MILVIZ load menu.

Both are ideal for what you have in mind in the sim, which is what they did in real life, undeveloped mountain or bush regions with no major facilities but a bit of dirt or water to land and take off from. The sort of environment where it took 15 or 30 minutes to get there (sometimes a lot longer in Alaskan and Canadian artic regions) by air but if you went by foot or land it would take days or where there was no land road access so fly in was the only option. Most of this work later went to helicopters which is why they basically stopped making them but a helicopter could never replicate the loads these aircraft could carry.

My view is they are both excellent models and both allow you to explore bush flying to ones hearts content but more importantly if you really want to get to know about STOL aeroplanes and STOL flying they both are the best on the market. And no I have no interest in MILVIZ or had no part in their development. I am a retired RW professional pilot who spent probably about 5000 hours in this type of aeroplane, down low, in the bush, over water and into and out of tight short strips. They allow me to indulge my interest in this type of flying or bush bashing anywhere in the world I can think of thanks to the simulator.

I have both but then again I am a sucker for de Havilland aeroplanes. I would probably go with the Beaver first really get to know it and push the limits in some bush flying, then go to the Otter and do the same thing.

FWIW both aeroplanes have the distinction of being the only single engined STOL aircraft operated by two major airlines, Qantas and Trans Australia Airlines (TAA) in Papua New Guinea, so in their day they were regarded very highly for being able to service remote bush areas to an airline safety standard.

BendyFlyer..... Thanks for the great reply. I will probably go with your suggestion and get the Beaver. I'll check YouTube and see if any new items have turned up with regards to the Milviz Otter.
    I remember when I got my first Microsoft F.S. ...I spent most of my time with the Beaver.

Members who have read this thread: 0