WIP: Pitoe Drome. Morotai

Thread: WIP: Pitoe Drome. Morotai

SOH-CM-2018

WIP: Pitoe Drome. Morotai

Hi All!

I have not been a very active member of this community, largely because I feel I have little expertise to offer. I enjoy the forums and am flabbergasted and amazed at the talent I see displayed here. You guys are true artists!!!!!

Inspired, I have decided to undertake a project that is dear to me and probably above my skill level. My dad was stationed at Pitoe (among other places) during WWII and I have always been intrigued with the "double" base there: Pitoe with its 2 runways and Wama with its one.

Construction was started in October 1944 even while the Battle of Morotai was still going on. This base was home to both bomber groups and fighter groups of the 13th Air Force with all the associated support units. The was also a navy PT boat base, dock facilities and tank farm.

This was the last place my dad was stationed in the Pacific.

Below are some screen captures of the base so far. Mainly it is just the 3 runways, ramps and hardstands. Some place holders objects are put into the scenery now just to give a sense of more of a base.

This shows a placeholder harbor facility that currently hides a bridge that just won't be excluded. I will continue to try to exclude it.

In this shot you can see Pitoe to the left with its 2 runways and Wama to the right with its single strip. Pito was used for B-24s and Wama primarily for fighter and cargo aircraft.

Here is a shot looking down the Gila peninsula. Here was most of the unit bivouacs for this large base plus ancillary units as phot, medical etc. I have to yet to change the Gila to rainforest LC.

Here is a shot on approach to Pitoe from the east.

I am sure that this will take awhile to get done, but I am excited about doing something that I can give to the community. I hope that there is some interest, especially as there are other bases done for the pacific. Some authors of libraries have already given their permission to use their objects, and I thank them again.

All comments, questions and/or criticisms are welcome. After the taxi links and parking spaces are done perhaps someone will be interested to test them?

Well, off I go,

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2017-nov-2-004.jpg   -2017-nov-2-003.jpg   -2017-nov-2-002.jpg   -2017-nov-2-001.jpg  

Great! I'm waiting !
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

SOH-CM-2018
    Thanks YoYo, It will be a long slog. Although the learning curve is not too steep, it is a big job.

Joe

Looks good! Having a personal connection helps a lot to inspire creativity. Don't hesitate to ask for tips and tricks if you get stuck anywhere. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Please do compatible with P3Dv4 also (few tips are here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...4-(no-taxiway) ).

Nick, from FTX Team did detailed instruction: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1103942 .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

SOH-CM-2018
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Please do compatible with P3Dv4 also (few tips are here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...4-(no-taxiway) ).

Nick, from FTX Team did detailed instruction: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1103942 .

Uh Oh !! The learning curve just became steeper!

I will check out the links, most definitely.

SOH-CM-2018

Work Progresses

Work progresses on Pitoe and Wama. Currently working on 307th BG area. luckily I have John Boeman's book Moroatai a memoir of war. He was a B-24 pilot with the 307th and there are some good pictures.

307th HQ and squadron HQs

enlisted area

Although the 307th area is not exact, I think it conveys the "spirit"

Pitoe Bay harbor facilities and tank farm. Can't find any definitive pics so this is conjecture. In the distance above the tanks is the 307th area.

I tried getting taxi paths to work with progressive taxi, but no go. I have parking spot linked to taxiway, taxiway linked to runway link (I'm pretty sure). Do I need to take the runway link and connect it to the runway start point?

Well anyway, progress made. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jm f-2017-nov-4-004.jpg   jm f-2017-nov-4-005.jpg   jm f-2017-nov-4-006.jpg   jm f-2017-nov-4-003.jpg  

SOH-CM-2018
    Hi All!

It has been a month since I last posted on this, but I have not been slacking. I have been busy repainting B-24s in the squadron colors of the 307th BG and I redid the 868th Snoopers. I also this morning did a quick Flight Plan for all the repaints done so far (33) so that they can be shown in their squadron parking spots.

Here are some screenies with Milton Shupe's beautiful A-20.

View from the 868th squadron area.

Repainted snoopers with new logo and light gloss black from archive photo on 307th web page.

Pool planes not assigned to a particular squadron and for use by all squadrons.

A+ with mission markings. Am currently working on named planes without art. I am not sure if I will place mission markings on all planes or just named planes of which I have pictures.

Thanks,

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jm f-2017-dec-5-007.jpg   jm f-2017-dec-5-012.jpg   jm f-2017-dec-5-015.jpg   jm f-2017-dec-5-010.jpg  

SOH-CM-2018
    Some more screen grabs.

A variety of numbering styles have been used to reflect all the differing styles used by the group, although they don't necessarily reflect the style used on a particular aircraft.

Work continues.

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jm f-2017-dec-5-008.jpg   jm f-2017-dec-5-019.jpg   jm f-2017-dec-5-017.jpg   jm f-2017-dec-5-014.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0