W10 upgrade today - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: W10 upgrade today

No issues here...everything running perfectly...
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    These PC problem crashes are becoming a bit too frequent, and I detest the idea of having to save my work every three or four minutes in lieu of MS barging in, uninvited, to grace me with yet another process to gobble up more of my workspace.
    I feel for you Gordon! It is a major PITA when hours of work are lost. While it is annoying to have to remember to save one's work frequently while still in progress, it beats the hell out of losing everything.

It's funny that several freeware programs I use will gracefully auto-recover any opened files should something go tits-up, but an expensive program like Photoshop doesn't have such a handy feature!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    I feel for you Gordon! It is a major PITA when hours of work are lost. While it is annoying to have to remember to save one's work frequently while still in progress, it beats the hell out of losing everything.

It's funny that several freeware programs I use will gracefully auto-recover any opened files should something go tits-up, but an expensive program like Photoshop doesn't have such a handy feature!
    Thanks Bill, I'm sure you've had it once or twice yourself. I normally just automatically save out files when I come to a place where I've finished one or two operations. I save out my days work to an external every day, and usually create as second backup...especially with something like a VC or complex landing gear animation.

The one this AM, it was very early and I was kind of down the rabbit hole with the brushes. Forgot the time and got caught out with the hard crash. Oops.
    But...like I said the work I did the second time was probably better.

I actually like Win10 as a work space, especially with the new SDK's, but I could live without the "bling" updates.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Oh well they got me as well. Child windows errors, compatibility settings changed on several programs same with run as administrator settings and that stupid account control turned on yet again. FSX/Steam won't run at all FS9 oddly enough running fine. Checking through all my stuff now to see what will work and what won't.

Blog Entries
    Just noted today that FSUIPC was DOA along with the issues I covered above. Only noticed it when I went to fly the A-20 and the ground handling was not like I had set it up. I checked FSUIPC and it was a complete vanilla install. No axis assignments, no key assignments, no switch assignments and all of my custom profiles were gone.

I probably had thirty or forty custom setups for different aircraft. Nothing there.

I had to set up a generic and start from scratch. Nice.

Bump:

OK...I don't want to sound like a complainer but this is the kind of thing that sends me straight into leg breakin' mode.

I went to shoot some video tonight, and found that now all of my settings, shortcuts and hot keys for Shadowplay have been returned to default.

So...

It would appear that weeks, if not months of fine tuning and setting up my sim and numerous peripherals have all been borked because Windows wants to add more smileys, puppies and kittens to my frickin' OS. I can't begin to calculate how much time, work and energy I have lost in the last three years, due to MS cavorting about my workspace with zero regard for my valuable time.

What grinds me is understanding that YouTube, Google, Twitter and the giants are currently working at a frantic pace, tweaking algorithms for reasons I shall not discuss on this discrete forum. I will assume that MS is working feverishly to accommodate them, thus the rather frequent invasions I am experiencing. At this stage I can't assume that there will be any stability in my work space for the immediate future and I can anticipate more of what I am experiencing now.

I have this fantasy about the afterlife, where I get ten minutes in a locked cage with each of the invisible hacks who perform these invasions that cause me so much consternation. It's a rather enjoyable fantasy...kind of like a Happy Gilmore "Happy Place".

Sorry for the rant, but I'll sleep better having said my piece.
    Last edited by gman5250; November 4th, 2017 at 20:04.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Blog Entries
    I thought I would run a test today.

I updated my NVIDIA drivers this AM and had a short shakeout flight in V4. Nothing blew up, went south or bought the farm..so I figured that went OK.

Following an NVIDIA update, it is my practice to re-boot. I did a text book system shut down and let the system sit for a couple of minutes. I booted back in through BIOS and set the rig for my daily work settings, no boost on the CPU or GPU. The system booted and went to idle on desktop. I had to make a run to town for a few things, so I let the system just sit at idle for about three hours. No screen savers, no sleep settings...and I hadn't opened any programs. After the initial boot it was just running it's background processes.

I came back to my desktop as I had left it, but as I expected, the HD was purring and grinding away at something. I went to the keyboard and mouse...they were locked up.

It appears that just the background services, left to run for a period of time and asking nothing else from the system, is adequate to grind the resources to a halt in what behaves exactly like a memory leak or low resources situation. The only solution at that stage is a cold shutdown using the "hold start button for five seconds" escape valve.

If I run Photoshop or 3D Studio Max I can get to the memory crash fairly quickly. If I run them both at the same time, I'm re-booting quite a few times a day.

Thought the results of my little test were interesting, so I figured I'd share the results here and see if anyone else is seeing these same anomalies.
    Last edited by gman5250; November 5th, 2017 at 15:16.
    Thomas Jefferson

After putting it off for 10 years (I hate change), Linux is looking better and better.......

Well, XP still serves as my primary box. I will likely upgrade to Win/7 next year for development and primary. No problems here for many years.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Well, XP still serves as my primary box. I will likely upgrade to Win/7 next year for development and primary. No problems here for many years.
    I look back at the graphics company I built back in the late nineties. We had a custom built Xeikon 5 Station digital press and a huge Zund plotter. It was a sophisticated production system that ran the front end websites, order processing, prepressing, press, plotting, packaging and shipping. It was a real state of the art deal.

I did most of the preliminary work in Windows 95 and Windows 98, then we moved to XP when we had the Xeikon built. We ran the office, my studio, the Zund and marketing on the XP systems. The Xeikon shared a clean room with another Xeikon owned by a partnering company. That ran on XP, but all of the design work station computers were Mac G4.

We never had any mandatory updates, major systems errors, problems, memory crashes, invasions, hacks or viruses and we never had a down day. I still have two of the original XP boxes, but they need some TLC.
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm sorry to hear about the trials and tribulations Windows 10 users are experiencing. On three of my pcs I have Windows 7, but I do have a laptop on Win10 (inherited), with nothing too important on it. I wonder what Microsoft think the majority of owners believe their computers are used for? Do they think they are used mainly for music and smart phone type apps and maybe Office activity? It seems that there needs to be another operating system for more complex, dedicated design programs. "One size fits all" seems to be Microsft's dream and by all accounts they are failing drastically to accommodate the more sophisicated user.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

I totally agree. I have a computer, not a giant cell phone. I run programs, not bleeping "apps". Which is why I have a separate "experimental" computer for Windows 10, and my nice Win7 Ultimate computer as my flight sim rig.
    Sue

i really dont understand all of this,ive been using win10 for some time now,and i never seem to have any problems,it will do one of the updates and i check everything and never seem to lose any of my settings ect.

one thing though,when im done on the pc for the night,i not only shut it down,but i have a toggle switch under my yoke that cuts the power to everything at the wall plug.i wonder if that might have to do with anything?...why its so stable i mean.

Just got off the phone after an interesting call.

Coincidentally with the "Fall Update" my sim computer died with many of the dreaded post-update issues. It is a relatively new and capable custom box. Tried most of the reported fixes, interrupted by a several-week holiday, then the Christmas season, then other annoyances. Finally gave up and took it into the retail shop to have them attack the Windows repair/reinstall/whatever process.

The call was from the tech who confirmed all my trouble-shooting finds, then said he tried my drive in his bench machine and it booted fine. Next he check the rest of the drive, then the bits in my box (primarily the RAM).. all fine-- UNTIL he tested the CPU -- FAILED!

So, no indication that M$ is at fault but an amazing coincidence of an update coming on the same night my CPU (i7-6XXX) decided to go into cardiac arrest.

Thanks Intel

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Smells Fishy To Me

I would ask for a 'second opinion' if I was you. They might just be after your money. Friends? At a repair shop? I don't think so. Or at least I don't 'BELIEVE' everything they tell me. I need 'proof'! Maybe you should ask if they have a USED 'i7 6xxx' for sale and see what happens. Ha!
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    My new gaming rig will have Win 7 64bit. That's as far as i'm willing to go because i've had no major issues with it . Why can't MS leave well enough alone !

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    My new gaming rig will have Win 7 64bit. That's as far as i'm willing to go because i've had no major issues with it . Why can't MS leave well enough alone !
    Because they don't build it for us, they build it for them. Shareholders insist on 'growth' and new products. Hypothetically Win10 IS the last version, but with never-ending(?) updates - have to justify all the twinkie-munchers living in the basement at Redmond - so it's a safe bet that, at some time, Win7 hardware will cease to work or install as the updates get more profound.

We, as users of 'legacy' software (and hardware), are a small crumb of the pie. It's the new adopters that fuel their business in the long run. No, I'm not happy with the philosophy either, but that's the world we live in.
    Remember, in a free enterprise system, nothing is free.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    Because they don't build it for us, they build it for them. Shareholders insist on 'growth' and new products.
    Nailed it. Short, sweet, quotable, and true.

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    Remember, in a free enterprise system, nothing is free.
    [rant]
    -clipped-
    [/rant]

you know this stuff already

Last edited by boxcar; February 19th, 2018 at 11:58.

​.

About the time windows 10 came out, I got a message every day from MS telling me that I could switch over from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free. This went on for over a half a year, I was happy with W7, FSX works fine. I think the time will come though when enough new programs will only work on Windows 10. Some of the new car racing games require Windows 10.
    I'll stick with what works for me.

Members who have read this thread: 1