Too much, Too fast..

Thread: Too much, Too fast..

Blog Entries

Too much, Too fast..

As many of you know, I havee an attraction to flying in really bad weather.. Well, this time I maybe bit off more than I could chew.. Truly, it made me wish i was with the gentleman in the other post, relaxing in british columbia..

I took off from the Dominican republic.. The first airport i tried was just inside the outer ring of Hurricane Maria, and my plane was quite litterally, and immediately flipped over on its back by the 130 some MPH winds. I next tried a little airport called Cabo Rojo, which was was west of the storm, and headed due east into its maw.. I thought i'd take some photo's from inside the storm. Sorry. There was no time. Most of the time my IAS was pegged at 700MPH, and i was working my butt off just to keep the plane flying. I do admit, that there were a couple times when I wished my mommy was there.. This is a horrifying storm, even in FSX. The eye was gorgeous tough. Calm as calm could be, but then, it was back into the teeth of that thing, and a fight to stay the air. What an amazing flight it was.

I wonder how a larger aircraft would fare in such storms? I.e. P-3s? NC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I wonder how a larger aircraft would fare in such storms? I.e. P-3s? NC
    OHHHHHH, Just absolutely horribly.. Horribly I say ::roflmao::
    Believe it or not, the P-61s were the first weather research aircraft as the aircraft used in Project Thunderstorm.. At nearly thirty thousand pounds, it seemed a good bet that they could stand up to whatever a thunderstorm threw at them, but they were never flown into the teeth of a hurricane.. Still, I'm crazy as a loon and just cant resist a challenge,..

Which P-61 is that?
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by docjohnson View Post
    Which P-61 is that?
    Thats a P-61C modrel. Externally its almost identical to the P-61B with the main differece being different engines and havig the inlet for the oil cooler placed below the engine nacelle..

Members who have read this thread: 1