Milton's Douglas A-20C Havoc conversion uploaded! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Milton's Douglas A-20C Havoc conversion uploaded!

RAAF Bostons

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    It is good too see my skins in use in good old CFS2. I have too admit that I haven't had CFS installed for many a year now. I have a few skins that will fit this model and for the G model. I have mainly been painting Soviet VVS, French and Allied schemes leaving the USAAF too Huub and Wellis. If anyone wishes too have DXT3 versions of them I am happy to convert and release any of my paints for CFS2.

If your interested you can find the fs9 paints I have released so far on the Douglas A20 Havoc thread over on the fs2004 forums. My paints start becoming available from page 34.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...0-Havoc/page34 If it has a Drop box link then its available.

Steve
    A brilliant model and lovely paints. The RAAF skin made me wonder whether the nose could be textured to appear solid. A lot of the RAAF A-20s were modified in the field, with a painted nose and 50 cal brownings in the nose. Most of those were A-20A aircraft, but I can't see any external difference between the A and the C variants.
    Many thanks for this brilliant addition to CFS2.

Icon25

Just amazing! Thank u guys again!!
    Hit hard, hit fast, hit where it hurts and keep hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    A brilliant model and lovely paints. The RAAF skin made me wonder whether the nose could be textured to appear solid. A lot of the RAAF A-20s were modified in the field, with a painted nose and 50 cal brownings in the nose. Most of those were A-20A aircraft, but I can't see any external difference between the A and the C variants.
    Many thanks for this brilliant addition to CFS2.
    Ravenna, the "C" nose is textured glass and although mapped separately, the opacity is set for 45%.

If Dave et al can copy that model, and change the opacity to 100%, then the nose glass can be painted.

However, the plexi was not mapped for painting with the fuselage, only from the side, so textures would be stretched across the top and front of the nose.

I will consider doing a properly mapped plexinose (separately from the fuselage) if there is interest and time to do the conversion to CFS2.

This is the way it is currently mapped for textures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails noseplexiglas_t.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Dave,

Excellent work on one of my favorite birds! You wouldn't happen to know if the model is multi-lod, would you?

And...if it is multi-lod, is there any chance an early (1940-era) DB-7 can be had with Pratt & Whitney R-1830-SC3-G/R-1830-S3C4-Gs for use in France?

Performance was a little more modest: http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...-7_France.html

If not, we can always stick with this steady stable hand...

Rami, this is not a multi-LOD model. Sorry 'bout that. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Dave,

Excellent work on one of my favorite birds! You wouldn't happen to know if the model is multi-lod, would you?

And...if it is multi-lod, is there any chance an early (1940-era) DB-7 can be had with Pratt & Whitney R-1830-SC3-G/R-1830-S3C4-Gs for use in France?

Performance was a little more modest: http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...-7_France.html

If not, we can always stick with this steady stable hand...
    Hi Rami,

No, it isn't multi-lod. For that I would stick with TR's variants.

It is good too see my skins in use in good old CFS2. I have too admit that I haven't had CFS installed for many a year now. I have a few skins that will fit this model and for the G model. I have mainly been painting Soviet VVS, French and Allied schemes leaving the USAAF too Huub and Wellis. If anyone wishes too have DXT3 versions of them I am happy to convert and release any of my paints for CFS2.

If your interested you can find the fs9 paints I have released so far on the Douglas A20 Havoc thread over on the fs2004 forums. My paints start becoming available from page 34.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...0-Havoc/page34 If it has a Drop box link then its available.

Steve
    Actually Steve, for CFS2 my experience has your paints and others looking their beast formatted to 16 bit 565. Otherwise the bitmaps start to show color bleeds. Pinks and reds especially in the underside.
    I've been downloading yours and saving them this way. Thanks for the info on where they start showing up in the thread. This helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by misson View Post
    Just amazing! Thank u guys again!!
    You're welcome Mario.

Cheerz, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Ravenna, the "C" nose is textured glass and although mapped separately, the opacity is set for 45%.

If Dave et al can copy that model, and change the opacity to 100%, then the nose glass can be painted.

However, the plexi was not mapped for painting with the fuselage, only from the side, so textures would be stretched across the top and front of the nose.

I will consider doing a properly mapped plexinose (separately from the fuselage) if there is interest and time to do the conversion to CFS2.

This is the way it is currently mapped for textures.
    Hello Milton,

It would be easier for me, possibly you also, to do the P-70A1 minus the radar antenna. ???

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dvslats View Post
    Hello Milton,

It would be easier for me, possibly you also, to do the P-70A1 minus the radar antenna. ???

Dave
    I agree and I thought about that option as well.

It would have been simple on the "C" had I not added the _T specular capability for the plexiglas but I needed some shine in FS9 for the glass appearance.
    I could change the "C" back to that as it was originally, but it still needs to be remapped for better paint application, as will the A1.
    At any rate, either will require a separate model but the A1 will be easier.
    So, that is what I will do. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hold On Milton

I tried your suggestion. With SteveB's RAAF texture things look pretty good IMHO.
    Extra gun barrels can be added through CFS2's damage profile. Oldwheat has a file on these.
    Staying with the RAAF scheme I really see no need for a newer mdl.
    It will save you some time also.

Thanks for the offer though!
    Dave

Very odd jobs man and MiGaholic
    That there mod do look nice, better not let the fs2004 guys see it or there gonna start wanting it in fs9 then the fsx lot will want one .

But that nose sure looks clean, i'll be happy too add some dirt and stuff too it if required, I have cfs2 sitting on my desk awaiting installation once I've had a coffee.

Steve

That there mod do look nice, better not let the fs2004 guys see it or there gonna start wanting it in fs9 then the fsx lot will want one .

But that nose sure looks clean, i'll be happy too add some dirt and stuff too it if required, I have cfs2 sitting on my desk awaiting installation once I've had a coffee.

Steve
    Be very, very quiet.

If your offering Steve, than I'm accepting. A little dirt is always welcome here. Lol
    I'll attach what been done so far. Bitmaps that is...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Field Mod

Going to use this picture as a reference for the extra .5 bmg's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8Douglas_Boston.jpg  

Hi Dave
    One nose job being played with this afternoon.

Nose mounted MGs

Going to use this picture as a reference for the extra .5 bmg's.
    A good pic, but the field mods were made using .303 calibre machine guns ( Fairly sure they were Brownings). The modifications tended to be either three guns abreast or two abreast X 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DB-7B-02_S.jpg   DB-7B-03_S.jpg  

22 Squadron

This pic shows the 2 x 2 guns, if a little grainy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RAAF 22 sqn Boston IIIs_New Guinea Feb 43.jpg  

This pic shows the 2 x 2 guns, if a little grainy.
    Hi Ravenna,

2 x 2 guns in .303 should be no problem.

In this type configuration, correct?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails raafmuseum9.jpg  

Preliminary On the Barrels

First take.

Now off to get some sack time in.
    Dave

First take.

Now off to get some sack time in.
    Dave
    Whoah! Su-wheet!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Move the lower guns a few inches backward and it would be perfect.

Here is the current state of play still WIP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-cfs2-a20c-raafnose.jpg  

Hi Ravenna,

2 x 2 guns in .303 should be no problem.

In this type configuration, correct?
    Hi DV,
    Yep. That looks like the restored Boston in the Australian War Memorial's collection. Guns staggered so that the lower barrels are less prominent than the higher ones. It is interesting to see the Boston photo collection from the AWM. The nose gun configuration in some pics is higher than the ones in your photo. Looking at the photo dates I think that the higher arrangement is on A-20G aircraft taken in 1944. Given the attrition rate of 22 squadron it seems more likely that resupply would have been with the later variants.
    Cheers, Michael

Hi DV,
    Yep. That looks like the restored Boston in the Australian War Memorial's collection. Guns staggered so that the lower barrels are less prominent than the higher ones. It is interesting to see the Boston photo collection from the AWM. The nose gun configuration in some pics is higher than the ones in your photo. Looking at the photo dates I think that the higher arrangement is on A-20G aircraft taken in 1944. Given the attrition rate of 22 squadron it seems more likely that resupply would have been with the later variants.
    Cheers, Michael
    OK, the lower barrels will be moved back a bit, then this will be the configuration I'll go with. You are correct about the location between the C and G, the G being built from the start with a dedicated strafing set up in the nose.

CheerZ,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Whoah! Su-wheet!
    Thank you Milt, glad it "makes the grade".

Here is the current state of play still WIP.
    That's looking very good Steve!

Thanks for putting in the time on this one.

What say the masses? Boy, that a dangerous question.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2x2_2.jpg  

What say the masses? Boy, that a dangerous question.
    The groundcrew is well pleased, the aircrew can't wait to try her out and the IJN is staying in port.

Members who have read this thread: 0