Dll and Gau Compatibility

Thread: Dll and Gau Compatibility

Dll and Gau Compatibility

Speaking only of freeware FSX Native aircraft now. . .can we assume that any aircraft in that category that uses dll or gau gauges would need to either be completely redone with gauges contained in a "cab" file or simply eliminated completely? I'm sure many of us have tons of gauges from countless installations that have remained long after the airplane was removed. For P3D_V4 Only. . .should gau and dll gauges be removed? If gau gauges don't work and dll gauges for freeware probably won't be updated for obvious reasons then weeding those out would eliminate a lot of deadwood.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Speaking only of freeware FSX Native aircraft now. . .can we assume that any aircraft in that category that uses dll or gau gauges would need to either be completely redone with gauges contained in a "cab" file or simply eliminated completely? I'm sure many of us have tons of gauges from countless installations that have remained long after the airplane was removed. For P3D_V4 Only. . .should gau and dll gauges be removed? If gau gauges don't work and dll gauges for freeware probably won't be updated for obvious reasons then weeding those out would eliminate a lot of deadwood.
    Whatever the GAU or DLL does won't work but the rest of the plane will.
    The gauge could be something simple you can do without - a built in GPS for instance or it could be replaced with an XML gauge from another aircraft.

The killers are the DLLs that do something vital, like enable the visual model or make the engines and flight model work.

There is a freeware cockpit sound DLL that is used in a LOT of planes, free and payware, that is being redone by the author

Generally A2A, Majestic, (maybe) PMDG not worth trying, everything else worth a go

Cheers
    Keith

I've gotten Underway_p3d to compile natively 64 bit as a DLL and it seems to work - after a quick first test. There are some 70+ gauges contained in it so it'll take some time to verify that they all work as they should... but I'm betting that they will. BUT the DLL and Gau (the same thing, actually -.gau are in fact .dlls) will, I believe, all have to be recompiled into 64 bit. Naturally this will just about double the size of those files.

I would agree that getting rid of old 32 bit dlls is probably a good idea. With any luck you might find replacements with similar abilities. I know there are a few that are very important to me as an SH-60 "pilot" - one of which was a fuel status and another had double timers that was very useful in dropping sonobuoy patterns. I may have to actually use a real stopwatch - at least for a while. But I'm keeping the dlls I used a lot in reserve just so I know what I need for replacements. They may not work but at least they are reminders.

I wonder if Abacus? is going to recompile and re-release FS Panel Studio. That was one *very* useful piece of software.
    "Being good is not enough when you dream of being great"
    Author of NEUWUC family of programs

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
    BUT the DLL and Gau (the same thing, actually -.gau are in fact .dlls) will, I believe, all have to be recompiled into 64 bit. Naturally this will just about double the size of those files.
    They will, but they really won't double in size. Most have mine have only got about 30kb bigger, having been ~200kb to start with.

Well that's good news about the size for most gauges... mine alas looks like it'll be twice as big from a little over 1M to 2Megs. I suppose one should expect it - since my code does a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff like talking to a remote server - and not simply moving a needle on a gauge. Then again, memory is cheap. I strive to keep things as small and quick as possible.

It would be really nice if gauge developers who no longer want to maintain their gauges would post the source code so we could re-compile them for 64 bit. I'd be willing to do conversions if there is interest. And perhaps SOH could host those source codes/recompiles for future modifications should they be necessary. We could make them "Creative Commons Attribution Required" licensed. Just some thoughts.

Underway! #163 for Prepar3d is now available on http://navalengagement.net . This is the 64 bit version for v4 of P3D. It actually compressed 30K smaller - though when expanded the DLL is 4Megs, versus 2.1M for 32 bit fsx. My testers are going to start using it to ensure everything works ok. Just thought I'd give an update.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
    . . . . .I wonder if Abacus? is going to recompile and re-release FS Panel Studio. That was one *very* useful piece of software.
    Probably not, hasn't been an update for that program in years. I still use it, not sure why you refer to it as though it's no longer viable?
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Members who have read this thread: 0