CV-9 USS "Essex" WWII for FSX/P3D - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: CV-9 USS "Essex" WWII for FSX/P3D

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Well done, YoYo, thank you!

YoYo, looking forward to putting this creation to work with you on the F-4U beta program. Outstanding tool for testing, vids and pics!

Fantastic work YoYo! This will certainly be a great staging base for all these great WWII carrier planes coming forth. Thanks for such nice work.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Oh that's so nice! Thanks. Finally a very good carreer for my Salomon area 44'!

DG

Outstanding work! And I like the sound on deck. That's indeed payware quality you share. Thank you for additional sim experiences also in the historic past!!!! BTW: Does anybody know a good US Navy freeware carrier aircraft to do some exercises, please?
    Last edited by Manschy; May 31st, 2017 at 13:23.
    Best regards, Manfred.

Quote Originally Posted by Manschy View Post
    And I like the sound on deck.
    Thx, it's a nice feature I was hoping,
    and thx for all kind words.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Manschy View Post
    Outstanding work! And I like the sound on deck. That's indeed payware quality you share. Thank you for additional sim experiences also in the historic past!!!! BTW: Does anybody know a good US Navy freeware carrier aircraft to do some exercises, please?
    A few choices accurate to the period Yoyo's package:
    Trainer - where I'd start:
    Warwick (Wozza) Carter's SNJ variant of his T-6 trainer

Fighters:

If you lose the Corsairs and imagine it as a Korean War-to- mid 50s era ship, then you could add

Trainer:
    • Tim Conrad's T-28 Trojan

Fighter:
    • Tim Conrad's A-1 Skyraider

This is not an exhaustive list - just the ones that come to mind that are (within 10 years) accurate to that boat. I'm sure DaveB, Expat, and others will chime in with the ones I'm missing.

dl

Mivilz (work in progress) FG-1D "Corsair" over this package with CV-9 "Essex" (FSX/P3D), it will be a good connection:

Enjoy .
    Last edited by YoYo; August 28th, 2017 at 13:11.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

At the risk of sounding silly, is this available for download as yet?

Looks fabulous.

This new Milviz F4U owner would like this please.

guess you haven't looked in the download section under "ships"?
    Three great things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life where you get to experience all three at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    guess you haven't looked in the download section under "ships"?
    No, brother, Im new to this forum, cheers.

Yes this was a great addition P3D, I was used in the development and testing of the Milviz Corsair, and rather essential to that project!

For the ship modelers out there, Any ship pouring out black smoke from the stacks would have the engineering officer standing on the bridge undergoing a rather harsh tirade from the Captain. Blowing the stacks is done periodically but with permission! Night would be good time.

YoYo, this is an excellent package. Your attention to detail is extraordinary. I found out the hard way that when the announcement, "Clear the deck, incoming aircraft", shortly thereafter, my aircraft was swept off to the side and in some instances into the drink. That was funny. I enjoy the opportunity to share the experience of late 40's carrier practices.. Very different than modern practices. Thank you for sharing with the community..terry

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Yes this was a great addition P3D, I was used in the development and testing of the Milviz Corsair, and rather essential to that project!

For the ship modelers out there, Any ship pouring out black smoke from the stacks would have the engineering officer standing on the bridge undergoing a rather harsh tirade from the Captain. Blowing the stacks is done periodically but with permission! Night would be good time.
    "landlubbers" should understand what "blowing tubes" (not stacks) is. Soot builds up on the collection of heating tubes inside each boiler as fuel is burned, despite best efforts to burn fuel in the most efficient way by controlling fuel-oil mixture. If soot builds up it creates 'hot spots" on tubes which can cause a tube to rupture, which requires boiler shutdown and repair - thus losing full power capability for a considerable length of time.

A more common reason is that, even with even, light soot distribution on boiler water tubes, efficient heat transfer to the water is impaired. Boiler powered ships burn a LOT of fuel - anything to increase fuel efficiency was important. One reason you hear about "Navy showers" and "cold water showers" is that it takes fuel oil to distill salt water - if fuel got critical, these measures would help.

Blowing tubes consists of venting high pressure steam in a controlled fashion within each boiler to clean the soot off, which then goes up the boiler flues along with the normal stack gasses. It could be quite spectacular at times!

From CV-60 through CV-67, 1200 psi "D-Type" boilers were used (8 of them), using very high pressure superheated, or "dry" steam. A rupture in a boiler tube -any one of them -was a big deal to just plug, if possible, let alone repair or replace, typically a shipyard job.

These "oil burners" did not necessarily have all boilers lit off or producing propulsion steam at all times, so bringing up steam from say six of eight to increase speed created a lot of soot buildup due to the rich mixture required for fast buildup, created a lot of internal soot as well as stack smoke from combustion

"Blowing tubes" might be done running downwind between recoveries if flight ops were in progress. The Engineering Officer of the Watch would request permission from the Bridge, the Officer of the Deck would alter course to keep stack gas slightly to starboard to avoid the sulfides settling on parked aircraft. Following the ship's SOP, he would then give permission to "blow tubes". Blowing tubes was a routine, required boiler maintenance/operational procedure.
    Last edited by Mike71; May 15th, 2018 at 17:55.

Good explanation! The thickness of the black sooty "smoke" is rather amazing. Today, or even since WWII not as a big a deal, but in the days of active and present submarine threat smoke on the horizon could be a real give away. Often coal fired merchantmen were given away by their stack effluent while otherwise over the horizon.

Cheers: T

Didn't quite escape.
    There's an excellent description from one of the ships that was part of the Falklands Task Force, on the way South, where a reporter was standing on deck and every now and then the (civilian... Elk, from memory?) ship's engineer would appear on deck, look up at the stack, wait a while, a puff of dark smoke would come out, he'd emit a loud expletive and disappear again. A few minutes later, lather, rinse, repeat.

Sorry, I know that's off topic, but the thread reminded me of it.

Ian P.

Members who have read this thread: 2