Payware C-54

Thread: Payware C-54

Payware C-54

Okay...so I'll admit it-- I'm suddenly going classic prop crazy...

So we have the marvelous Jahn/Javis DC-3 (with an updated version somewhere in the pipeline)....We have the released several (3?) years ago JF DC-6 as well as PMDG DC-6 somewhere out on (I'm guessing...) a medium to long final approach after it's conversion from X-Plane...

However, since Jens B. Kristensen's freeware C-54 (which is nice...but getting a bit long in the tooth)...I have not seen a payware C-54/DC-4, nor do I know of any in the pipeline. Does anyone know of one?

Just wondered.

Thanks,

Kent

Icon25

Flight Replicas just released a Canadair North Star/Argonaut and it has a DC-4 C-54 in the pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by diegoxs View Post
    Flight Replicas just released a Canadair North Star/Argonaut and it has a DC-4 C-54 in the pipeline.
    That is GREAT news! Thanks for the heads-up....

Kent

ColoKent, just remember the main role of a DC-4 when Qantas had them was to fly new and busted engines around after the Constellation.

Blog Entries
    I might add that Mike's Argonaut is nothing less than remarkable in it's authenticity. I mainly fly A2A aircraft for payware and a lot Milton Shupe's aircraft for non-payware. I'm a nut for as real as it gets! You will not be disappointed in the Flight Replica's Argonaut, very stable, great gauges, and just fun to fly!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Interesting tidbit related to the C-54...the Berlin airlift ran from 24 June 1948 – 12 May 1949, and I always remembered the C-47 and C-54s were the primary US haulers. What I didn't learn until yesterday was this: "Another decision was made when it was realised that it took just as long to unload a 3.5-ton C-47 as a 10-ton C-54. One of the reasons for this was the sloping cargo floor of the "taildragger" C-47s, which made truck loading difficult. The tricycle geared C-54's cargo deck was level, so that a truck could back up to it and offload cargo quickly. Tunner decided, as he had done during the Hump operation, to replace all C-47s in the airlift with C-54s or larger aircraft, which went into full effect after 28 September 1948."

So the C-47's were only used for about 4 months of the airlift.

Back on topic-- I am delighted to hear of the high quality of the Argonaut...It will be great to have a high quality DC-4/C-54.

Kent

Errr ... let's not forget that the Berlin Airlift was an allied operation... so while it is true that the U.S. C-47's were withdrawn to allow increased C-54 operation (for the reason given), the British civilian and air force Dakotas (C-47's by another name), and plenty of them, went on up right to the very end, with time on their hands to fly out little kids like YT.

Manfred-- I didn't think of that-- you're right. Totally forgot about the allied C-47 Dakotas. Good catch!

BTW--- WONDERFUL C-47!!!!!

Kent

SOH-CM-2021
    Don't forget also, the RAF's HP Hastings and Avro Yorks in the Berlin airlift. They lost 5 aircraft and 18 men in the operation.

Den.

There was quite a hotch potch of aircraft on the Airlift. Including Sunderlands flying in salt

Yes, in addition to the ubiquitous C-54's and C-47's there were:

Consolidated Liberator
    Douglas C-74 bug-eyed Globemaster I
    Boeing C-97A
    Lockheed C-121A
    Fairchild C-82 Packet
    Avro Yorks, Lancastrians, Tudors 1 and 2, Lincoln,
    Bristol Freighter/Wayfarer (legend has it that a US pilot misheard this as "Mayflower")
    Handley Page Halton, Hastings
    Sunderland
    Viking

Most of these have been modelled or are at least flyable as AI. With some retro airports and maps added, Operation Plainfare could actually be simulated nicely on FSX...

Of course, the Russians also showed their hand by deploying fighters such as the Mig-15. And the Americans had this big stick lurking on UK bases, thankfully they were not put to use:

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    Yes, in addition to the ubiquitous C-54's and C-47's there were:

Consolidated Liberator
    Douglas C-74 bug-eyed Globemaster I
    Boeing C-97A
    Lockheed C-121A
    Fairchild C-82 Packet
    Avro Yorks, Lancastrians, Tudors 1 and 2, Lincoln,
    Bristol Freighter/Wayfarer (legend has it that a US pilot misheard this as "Mayflower")
    Handley Page Halton, Hastings
    Sunderland
    Viking

Most of these have been modelled or are at least flyable as AI. With some retro airports and maps added, Operation Plainfare could actually be simulated nicely on FSX...

Of course, the Russians also showed their hand by deploying fighters such as the Mig-15. And the Americans had this big stick lurking on UK bases, thankfully they were not put to use:

wow!!!.. B-50 Superfortress that???

From the serial it looks very much like WB-50D (converted from the Boeing B-50D-110-BO series) 49-0285.. :-)

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Oh... so Manfred Jahn B-50 Superfortress now announced??

CalClassic has a scenery for Tempelhof 1962. temphf62.zip at flightsim.com. Its for fs9, but I'm sure it could be adapted for fsx. I know its for a later time period, but it could still work. And let's not forget Lt. Gail Halvorsen, the "Candy Bomber". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gail_Halvorsen I wonder if we could rig an AI C-54 to do that? Mark
    "Even the best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there, and even then, they're still not sure."-- Frank Bama

Oh... so Manfred Jahn B-50 Superfortress now announced??
    I'd say that looks like Tom Kohler's ("Gnoopy") B-50.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Members who have read this thread: 0