New Threads; to be or not to be, that is the question...

Thread: New Threads; to be or not to be, that is the question...

Icon5 New Threads; to be or not to be, that is the question...

For CFS1, my simple answer is YEAH!!!

Why?

1- I use RSS feed to keep informed on all sorts of subjects and, after a short while, CFS1 spot comes to show an empty square... you see; SOH RSS feed is limited to new threads.

2- Some threads (like Conspicuous by Their Absence) are turning into smörgåsbord of this and that, which makes casual reading impossible and specific research rather arduous.

3- Human nature being what it is, we tend to read the titles then, if our curiosity is aroused, we go read a bit more, not the reversed.

This is a phenomenon common to many SOH sections but CFS1 General Discussion being "our virtual home" at SOH, it would like to see it as lively as it really is.

So, if you're digressing; make a new thread.
    If you're not sure; make a new thread.
    If a thread is getting too long to follow; make a new thread.
    If a specific point needs more specific discussion; make a new thread.

Please!
    Conspicuous by Their Absence
    Torture numbers and they'll say anything.

Hubbabubba, Touche à tout.

Hello Hubbabubba,

Well... then that gives me an idea to un-clutter the Conspicuous thread a bit, and it may be a good idea to ask Smilo the following:

Hello Smilo,
    If I were to open a new thread for the Heinkel He-162-A2 jet, would it be possible to move out all but the first two posts related to the jet to the new thread once I create it? I shall do so if it is in effect possible to undertake such a transfer.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

SOH Staff
    short answer, yes, i can.
    among other things.

long answer,
    tell me the thread title where the post is located,
    the post numbers you want moved,
    (post numbers are in the upper right corner of each post)
    and finally, exactly where you want each post moved.

i agree with hubba's evaluation
    of the "conspicuous by their absence" thread,
    BUT, have let it go, simply because
    i don't feel it's my place to tell people
    how or where to post their topics.
    (at this point, i'm happy to see any cfs activity)
    i considered asking Stephan
    to start a new "Heinkel He-162-A2" thread,
    but, was waiting to see how far
    his discussion would go.
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Hello Smilo,
    Thank you so much, that will be wonderful!
    I have just opened the new thread, which is called:

"Heinkel He-162 "Spatz", 1944.

I have also just put in a very amusing and interesting English pilot´s report I´d found, which I´m sure you will enjoy.

Initially I hadn´t expected the thread to go beyond a couple of posts after your invitation for a Hainkel "Sparrow" upload after I had suggested it. I had been rather in doubt about it because jets have no propellers!!

Then, I had left it in the Conspicuous thread for the jet-engine flight dynamics, because I know Ivan is, or rather is going to be working on an Me 262 twin jet, and will probably benefit from the Heinkel jet´s engine parameters - it has the same turbojet.

So, very good then, if you agree, the posts that could be transferred from the Conspicuous thread are all those ranging

from No. 1363 to No. 1369.

The first two, 1361 and 1362 can perhaps be left in the Conspicuous thread as a reference, because the thread topic does refer to models that are of CFS1 interest.

Anyway, thanks again, Smilo, and if I do anything else that could be done better, or put my foot in something or other, do let me know - I am always open to useful suggestions and I don´t mind criticism.

Cheers, and thanks again!
    Aleatorylamp

SOH Staff
    .......done
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Hey Guys,

Sorry I have not been paying much attention to keeping up with the threads here for a few weeks. Other events took priority and there are even more new things going on now.

I suppose I have been the most to blame for the way that the Conspicuous thread has strayed.
    It started off innocently enough and I do believe the original topic is still worthy of discussion.

I also have debated on starting a new thread when a new subject comes up.
    Yes, it makes threads easier to search to SOME extent, but sometimes, there may not be a great amount of content.
    Is it better to have a single all inclusive rambling thread that one can ignore if one wants to or is it better to have about a hundred threads with three or four posts in each one but no significant content?

As an example, note that if I had posted a new thread for the Lavochkin La-5 that I last mentioned in Conspicuous, there would have been just one or two posts in their entirety. Perhaps there will be more, but not until I really get around to reworking the project.

Another significant issue is that this message area is shared by a few good friends who post on a regular basis and a bunch more who probably read along but seldom post.
    We generally go off-topic at least a few times in every single thread which is great for keeping up with each other but is pretty horrible when it comes to keeping focus on a subject.

As I see it, because this community is getting to be so small, the forum should serve the members in whatever whay we believe is best. Now we just have to figure out what is best.

Take Care.
    - Ivan.

Hello, Ivan, hello all!

I actually quite like the Conspicuous thread. It is very versatile, great for comments on aircraft and building in general (that´s why it was created, as far as I can see), and it´s handy for questions and announcements regarding different models, perhaps of interest to the community. Of course, if a topic starts getting too long.... that´s another matter! It´s difficult to tell at first, though.

Then, if the sequence gets a bit longer, it would deserve to move to its own newly created thread. I took a bit long to realize this with the wooden Heinkel jet (well only the nose was made of wood in reality...), and Smilo kindly moved 9 posts into the new thread.

I tend not to see new threads... I only notice them after a couple of weeks... Bad habit of mine, not to look and see. It has happened more than once, too!

Anyway, if anything gets too rambling and extense, anyone can mention it, like Hubbabuba did in the case of the wooden jet (which only had a wooden nose), and things get straightened out quite smoothly.

The Baltimores´glass noses are giving me a headache, and my FS spaceship is of no interest in CFS1.... Ha ha, off topic - just joking.

Keeping on the topic requires a strict discipline - which argumentably may not be obligatory 100% in a hobby, so I´d vote for permission for small digressions. Humans are social animals and need to communicate.

Not to worry. The important thing is to enjoy oneself.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; August 16th, 2016 at 11:53.

Members who have read this thread: 0