Douglas C-47 V3 Beta Released - Page 30
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20222324252627282930

Thread: Douglas C-47 V3 Beta Released

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    Assuming you're using the same texture folder and just changing out the models, then I would say that there is a difference in texture parameters between the two models. Have you ever used ModelconvertX?

You could start two instances and compare texture options. My bet is that there is a bump map missing from the C47V3_2 model? So even though the bump map file is there, the model doesn't know it should read it.

There is a capability to write out a "template" of a texture option set from MCX, but you're probably better off going through it field by field if you're not familiar with it.

If I get a chance I could take a look at it, but I'm no expert and I can't say when I can get to it (I need to go cook dinner and look for my wallet, it's been missing for a few days... sigh)
    I have used MCX but only to open and look at mdl's - This is how I can look at the various mdls that are offered in the C-47 to see which one(s) have that Rebecca Yagi antenna.

Not able to read/compare texture options as you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    Using older textures will not get you the detailed rivets as the paint needs to be updated by the original author using TuFun's paint kit.

Joe
    True. But the point here is he is using the same texture set with different models. Right? This is the only way it works at all. It's not what he showed in the listing, but, I assume he did do that in his cfg file.

If that's the case, then the bump map file should have been read by both models, and the texture is the same, so, it should work. But it's not. Which probably means the two models are not mapped consistently.
    Last edited by FlyingsCool; June 22nd, 2020 at 18:35.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I have used MCX but only to open and look at mdl's - This is how I can look at the various mdls that are offered in the C-47 to see which one(s) have that Rebecca Yagi antenna.

And... the answer is... no.

You're comparing two different models. One is the PBR model, of which there is only a single model created, and the other is the v3.1406 model, with all its different models. They call out two completely different sets of files, and you can't share texture sets between the two. The filenames are completely different for the materials of the PBR model versus the original MJahn models. I'm not sure why the author did this. Must be reason. I imagine the Metallic file is different from a spec file in some way to make them incompatible?

For instance -
    Material #1 PBR -
    C47_1_albedo.dds, C47_1_metallic.dds, C47_1_normal.dds (normal being the bump map file)

Material #1 v3.1406 -
    C47_1_T.dds, C47_1_T_SPEC.dds, c47_1_T_bump.dds

Given this, you'd have to go through and remap all the materials to the new names to use the PBR texture sets for the V3.1406 models, or vice versa.

You can check this out yourself by using the "Object Heirarchy" menu (top icon row, icon #6) to go through and select parts of interest (like the fuselage) to determine which "Material" it is pointing to. Then go to the "Material Editor" menu (top icon row, icon #7), select the material of interest and scroll down to the "Textures" section and you'll see the associated files with the material. You can change these mappings through MCX and rewrite out the model. I imagine you can see how much work this is

You can save the whole material setup as a "template" so you can apply them to multiple models. But you'd have to do that for all materials.

Then I would check the names of the texture files to make sure they match for the newer mdl. If he is using the P3D (PBR) model the texture names are different from the fsx version.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post

But, you could try copying the the C47_1_Normal.dds files to C47_1_Bump.dds in the texture sets you want to use on the models you want to use, might work, keep the _T and _Spec files and perhaps you could be good to go... I dunno.

You might need to reduce them to 2048 x 2048, or increase the _T and _Spec files to 4096 x 4096 (using DXTBMP.exe)

But, you could try copying the the C47_1_Normal.dds files to C47_1_Bump.dds in the texture sets you want to use on the models you want to use, might work, keep the _T and _Spec files and perhaps you could be good to go... I dunno.

You might need to reduce them to 2048 x 2048, or increase the _T and _Spec files to 4096 x 4096 (using DXTBMP.exe)
    Guess I could have tried it out myself (eyeroll)...

I'll blame it on being late when I wrote it, haha

I'll try it out tonight.

Guess I could have tried it out myself (eyeroll)...

I'll blame it on being late when I wrote it, haha

I'll try it out tonight.
    Let me know how it turns out please. I'm sorta lost with what to do in MCX.
    All I wanna do is to have the rivet detail with no Rebecca antennas. Would of been nice to have a model specifically with that option so that I could pin other paints
    to that model.
    Thanks
    Butch

Ok, I went and tried this out and to be honest it's not worth it. It does work by renaming texture files.

Make a copy of the texture.KN660 folder and rename it to something like this: (texture.KN660-0), then rename these files..

C47_1_albedo to C47_1_T
    C47_2_albedo to C47_1_T
    C47_1_normal to C47_1_T_BUMP
    C47_2_normal to C47_2_T_BUMP

Next you will need to copy the model.C47_2 folder and paste it into the the root Douglas_C-47_PBR folder.
    Now open the aircraft cfg and make a new entry for the paint changing these below..

[fltsim.X] << change the X to next number in order
    title=Douglas C-47 RAF Dakota KN660 << add .0 to end (KN660.0)
    sim=Douglas_DC3_v1.5
    model=dak01 <<change to C47_2
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=KN660 << add .0 to end
    kb_checklists=C47_check
    kb_reference=C47_ref
    ui_manufacturer="Douglas"
    ui_type="C-47"
    ui_variation=KN660
    ui_typerole="Twin Engine Prop"
    atc_id=KN660
    atc_airline=Airforce
    atc_flight_number=124
    atc_heavy=0
    description:

You can copy the spec file for the v3 model and put it into the new texture folder, but it will not be a complete match as it
    doesn't have tufun's new rivet and panel lines added to it. You will at least get the shine that it gives in sim.

If you open the C47_2 mdl in MCX you will be able to see why it's not worth the effort. (the mdl you added to the PBR folder)
    Look at the top and bottom of the rear fuselage you will see the missing detail that was added to the PBR mdl.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    Ok, I went and tried this out and to be honest it's not worth it. It does work by renaming texture files.

Make a copy of the texture.KN660 folder and rename it to something like this: (texture.KN660-0), then rename these files..

C47_1_albedo to C47_1_T
    C47_2_albedo to C47_1_T
    C47_1_normal to C47_1_T_BUMP
    C47_2_normal to C47_2_T_BUMP

Next you will need to copy the model.C47_2 folder and paste it into the the root Douglas_C-47_PBR folder.
    Now open the aircraft cfg and make a new entry for the paint changing these below..

[fltsim.X] << change the X to next number in order
    title=Douglas C-47 RAF Dakota KN660 << add .0 to end (KN660.0)
    sim=Douglas_DC3_v1.5
    model=dak01 <<change to C47_2
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=KN660 << add .0 to end
    kb_checklists=C47_check
    kb_reference=C47_ref
    ui_manufacturer="Douglas"
    ui_type="C-47"
    ui_variation=KN660
    ui_typerole="Twin Engine Prop"
    atc_id=KN660
    atc_airline=Airforce
    atc_flight_number=124
    atc_heavy=0
    description:

You can copy the spec file for the v3 model and put it into the new texture folder, but it will not be a complete match as it
    doesn't have tufun's new rivet and panel lines added to it. You will at least get the shine that it gives in sim.

If you open the C47_2 mdl in MCX you will be able to see why it's not worth the effort. (the mdl you added to the PBR folder)
    Look at the top and bottom of the rear fuselage you will see the missing detail that was added to the PBR mdl.

Joe

So as I suspect, the best thing to do is add the rivets to the C47_2 mdl or like what was done for the dak_01 mdl or try to get Tufun to make one
    or someone that knows how to add rivets like that.

Float plane???

Hi all
    Sorry to get this old thread up but I think it is the correct one.

All of a sudden I realized that my logbook was getting big amounts of floatplane hours.... at a time when I was flying almost exclusively Manfred's C-47, and certainly no floaters.

Then, yesterday, I had to repair the logbook because corruption and decided to check those flights in C-47 out of curiosity...surprise! Using "logbookeditor v 0.3" the C-47 is listed as a floatplane!

So, again, out of curiosity and obviously not criticising a wonderful job (far from it, it is one of my preferred aircraft to fly ) Has anybody found something similar? and if so, does anybody know how to convince FSX that a C-47 without floats is NOT a floatplane?

I have checked the .air file, the cfg, dug into the SDK but cannot find the code line or the switch to indicate the correct type of plane...

As I say, it is just out of curiosity and will not change anything... But that question is itching me...a lot!

Thanks in advance and do not worry to say you don't know...at least I know I'm not the only one!

Saludos
    Born to Fly

SOH-CM-2023
    Well. you could have a floatplane DC-3 if you have the old MAAM-Sim C-47 package...

I can't redistribute it but I did run mine through MCX and have a native version.
    You can't take the sky from me...

Nope Brian, I'm just curious about why it is considered a float plane and where the setting to modify that could be, but that is about it.

Apart from changing that setting (if somebody does know where it is) I do not want to do anything else (maybe another one or two repaints)

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway

Saludos
    Born to Fly

Members who have read this thread: 9