scenery objects creation help - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: scenery objects creation help

Quote Originally Posted by shphawk View Post
    I just wanted to let everyone know that Wolfi was absolutely correct as I now have FSDS 2.24 running on Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    I’m glad that I could help! I hope it works properly on your system.As I said before, I run FSDS2.4 as administrator only, because I’ve trouble with assigning and viewing textures in the normal (non Admin use) use.
    On my system it works properly, I hope on other systems also!

I’m not a PC freak at all, but in this case I didn’t like to switch from 64bit system back to an 32bist system only to run FSDS2.4, so I figured it out how to use FSDS2.4 on 64 bit systems.
    I like to mention that FSDS3.x will work on 64 bit systems without any registry work, and FSDS3.X is backward compatible. The only reason I use FSDS2.4 is, that I can compile my model direct into our old CFS2

wolfi

One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

I consider myself a pc freak and I didn't think it would work, or even know where to begin to try. Everything I read said that 16 bit programs will not run on an x64 operating system. I really appreciate everyone's help and advice. You really hit it out of the park Wolfi and taught us all something. Thank you.

Chuck

Btw, I'll be uploading the Wolfi Palms/ Gavin Cole gsl soon.

I'm glad you got it all working. I look forward to seeing your work.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Quote Originally Posted by shphawk View Post
    I consider myself a pc freak and I didn't think it would work, or even know where to begin to try. Everything I read said that 16 bit programs will not run on an x64 operating system. I really appreciate everyone's help and advice. You really hit it out of the park Wolfi and taught us all something. Thank you.

Chuck

Btw, I'll be uploading the Wolfi Palms/ Gavin Cole gsl soon.
    FSDS2 it self isn't a 16 bit program, Its 32 bit. My guess is that somthing about Win7 and the registry keys that FSDS2 tires to make are not compatable.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Also dose/can FSDS3 make a FS2004 aircraft _0.asm file? I ask this as I wa able to get a FS2004 aircraft _0.asm to be usable to make an object or weapon for CFS2.

FSDS2 works on a 64 bit system if you are able to install it, (Windows 10 64bit makes some problems), but you can’t activate the program that means, you can make models but you can’t compile them to MDL, unfortunately if you like update to FSDS3.5 you need a installed and activated FSDS2 version.
    FSDS2 can make FS2002 and FS2004 models directly,
    FSDS3 needs “make MDL” (an external compiler ) and you can also create FSX aircraft

wolfi

wolfi

One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

makemdl.exe is made by MS and is in the FS02, FS04 and FSX SDKs. As long as FSDS3 supports the FS04 makemdl.exe and the makemdl.cfg's keep option you should be able to make objects and weapons with FSDS3.

I'm also going to guess that FSDS3 won't work with the FS02 makemdl.exe as that would cut into FSDS2.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    FSDS2 it self isn't a 16 bit program, Its 32 bit. My guess is that somthing about Win7 and the registry keys that FSDS2 tires to make are not compatable.
    I think the installer might be 16 bit?

So, I had it working last night. Today it launches the software, but it cannot load textures or background images. I double checked everything and I'm stumped. The exe is set to run as administrator, I tried compatibility for xp sp2 and no compatibility. It's path is C:\ program files\abacus\fsds2\.
    I tried putting the textures in the abacus folder. I checked all of the registry entries. I'm lost.

ShpHawK

The installer is.

Try this fix. Seem to be hit and miss but worth a try. http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/fsds.htm

Just look into your preferences, and look where the texture folder is, sometimes FSDS2 moved the backdrop files into the texture folder.
    I generally set up my model in a separate Folder like below.
    Modell Folder
    Inside the model folder:
    Backdrop folder
    Textures folder
    Templates folder
    And if necessary a Library folder (SCA files for scenery objects)
    You can setup these folders in the preferences also the sim version FS2000/FS2002/FS2004/CFS2 and the design units (meters / Feet)
    There is also an Fsds2 patch from Martin Wright (link below)
    http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/fsds.htm

wolfi

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    The installer is.

Try this fix. Seem to be hit and miss but worth a try. http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/fsds.htm
    Thanks Allen, I'll give it a shot and post the results.

Wolfi, it's asking me to find my backgrounds through the Explorer box, and when I select them they still won't display. Same with textures.

Chuck

Look if backdrop “View” than “Backdrop” than “Hide” is checked, if it’s checked uncheck it! Or try to load the backdrop again. I never had any problems with the backdrops, but with the textures in the 3D view window, for me Martin Wright’s fix did it.

wolfi

Thanks for the help. I seem to be back in business. I have to realign and scale my backdrops because they won't load through the prompt that I'm getting, but they load from the menu. Hopefully, once I fix them they stay fixed.

Thank you both, Wolfi and Allen very much.

ShpHawK

Thanks for the help. I seem to be back in business. I have to realign and scale my backdrops because they won't load through the prompt that I'm getting, but they load from the menu. Hopefully, once I fix them they stay fixed.

Thank you both, Wolfi and Allen very much.

ShpHawK

Making CFS2 Scenery from GMax models

Hi all
    I have been trying to make a ship as scenery model for Wake Island to avoid the problem of the number of ships in the Ship folder.
    The Multi-LOD model is complete.
    In GMax, With the ship models I export as 'Flightsim Aircraft model' and then go through Allen's DOSmdlc or DOSmdlc 2.0 program to make the CFS2 model.
    I can use GMax to convert the model to a Flightsim 'scenery model but that is it.
    I use Windows 10, which may be a problem.
    Cheers
    Stuart

You need the gMax FS2002 plug in or MDL Commander to make .bgls

MDL Commander info.
    https://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15771
    http://www.docmoriarty.com/msfs/en/mdlcommander.html

Hi Allen

I've tried using Robert John's Exploding Objects using MCX & FS2002 to generate the bgl but it keeps adding an extra empty LOD. This means the wreck disappears as you get close to it. I've scoured through the asm file & can't see anything obvious.

We can use the ship mdl as is, it just seemed a shame to tie up a ship model slot with a static wreck ...

Are you placing the ship as non-damage-able/non destroy-able scenery using the FS2002 MakeMDL.exe or as destroy-able object?

If your using FS2002 MakeMDL to make non destroy-able scenery object I really haven't done much with it.

If your making a place-able in Mission Builder and destroy-able object. From my experience you need to make the normal and destroyed version of the object have the same number of LODs. If the normal and destroyed version don't have the same number of LODs extra empty LODs will be made.

If you still get extra empty LODs clone the LOD of the object closest to the empty and give it the number of the empty LOD. Make sure you do the same for the destroyed model as well to make the normal and destroyed models have the same number of LODs.

If need be send me what your working on and I can have a try at it.

Hi Allen
    Thanks for that.
    I do not have FS2002, so that is out.
    I tried MDL Commander without any success.
    I hope you had a great Christmas and I wish you all the best for the New Year.
    Cheers
    Stuart

PS UncleTGT will read this, but I will email him anyway.

Question

Stuart,
    You can get the plugin without having Fs2002. Not teaching you ''how to suck eggs'', but the first link is the correct GMax set up structure, just so you can check you've got it correct, the second link is to the FSDevelopers site resources section which has everything you need....

http://woodair.net/Flight_Sim/tutori...stallation.htm

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/

Also FSDeveloper is the place to find the answers to issues.

UT,
    It will be possible to scasm out the empty LOD, Mav is the scasm guru, give him a shout, or post it and I'll take a look.

Also fellas, I know it's in the way of CFS2 to have LODs but how many ships/polys are we talking about? As all the scenery ships could be made as one simple non-LOD bgl, if not too many polys.

Cheers

Shessi

Hi Mark,

It's down to me, I'm trying to fake it by exporting from MCX & convert a ship mdl into a scenery bgl using Robert John's "Making Exploding Objects using MCX & FS2002", without actually reinstalling G-Max & trying to get to grips with it (for the umpteenth time )...

attached zip has the bgl made this way, the damaged texture & a whole load of working files... I've made a few "new" objects successfully this way, but for some reason this time it puts an empty LOD into the bgl (that doesn't seem to be in the x or asm file)...

Shout out to Allen, with his help I got this sorted. And Stuart has sent me another APD model to play around with too

Of course it involved installing GMax again, which might open up a whole new world of pain for me ...

Have fun with gMax!

Icon4

Hi UT

If you load it up in the MCX.... then go to "Hierarchy Editor" to delete LOD 220... then compile to scenery mdl... should come good....also smaller cos it was double for some reason???

Cheers mav

Mav

Thanks for chiming in. The reason there are 2 models is I was using Robert John's Exploding Objects using MCX & FS2002 batch files - it's configured to give you a damage model. The aim was to have a wreck mdl, then after it takes even more damage - an even more wrecked model... It's during the batch process that the extra LOD was being added, the MCX export didn't contain the extra LOD.

Allen's steer to configure gmax & use the FS2002 gamepack seems to have fixed this.

Incidentally, the only reason why I was using Robert John's tutorial was that I assumed that MCX exports of FS2004 scenery bgls just didn't display in CFS2 - am I wrong? Or do you have your export from MCX set up differently? I'm using MCX140.

Members who have read this thread: 7