PDA

View Full Version : A weird GSL conflict with Erafitti's Euro targets and Achim's Euro runways....

kelticheart
February 3rd, 2009, 14:56
A good day to everybody!

This is something really weird that I never saw happening before. I had just finished installing Ettico's European Targets when I wanted to take a look at some of them in flight.

I went to look at Kiel shipyard and decided to take off from nearby Holtenau airbase from Achim's European various airfields #1 pack and, as soon as I brought it up in Free Flight, I saw the airfield was bare naked, no infrastructures at all, while all the Kiel shipyard objects were there.

I wondered if I had somewhat screwed up installing Achim's GSL objects, so I installed them again via GSLman.exe utility.

Went to fly again and, to my disappointment, the airfield hangars, revetments and such were all there while the Kiel shipyard buildings were all gone! :banghead:

I put the Kiel GSL objects back in with GSLman and now Holtenau is bare naked again! :barf:

This is incredible, but one GSL installation deletes the previous one, as a matter of fact, the CFS2.gsl filesize increases when I install Achim's objects and decreases when I install Ettico's Kiel objects.

How can this be? Did anyone else notice this? :help:

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

PSULLYKEYS
February 3rd, 2009, 15:32
Me too Kelti, I never noticed it before. I was careful to put in all six eurotargets and the fix that were uploaded.

Rami
February 3rd, 2009, 15:45
Kelti,

This has been noticed and dealt with appropriately. Here is the GSL file you'll need to correct the issue.

(Just rename it after downloading)

This GSL file includes both the airbase and the Kiel EuroTarget.

This was one of the issues I was working on with a RCAF campaign, still in development.

If you want, you can even fly the mission, for kicks. Be aware that it's not 100% de-bugged, and there's no readme. You'll have to decipher what you need on your own.

Ravenna
February 3rd, 2009, 16:41
Thanks for the HU on this Stef, and thanks for the fix Rami.

Ettico
February 3rd, 2009, 19:41
It is a sad fact that installing GSL into a GOB area wipes out any existing GSL in that GOB area.

It's like whack-a-hole. Whack the Holtenau hole and the Kiel hole pops up. Whack the Kiel hole and the Holtenau hole pops up.:banghead:

There are ways to get around the problem, but it's too complicated to explain right now. Besides, Rami has already fixed it, apparently while having a baby.

Here. Have a beer and try to forget it ever happened.:icon29:

And don't blame me. Kiel was there first.:engel016:

kelticheart
February 4th, 2009, 03:15
It is a sad fact that installing GSL into a GOB area wipes out any existing GSL in that GOB area.....And don't blame me. Kiel was there first.:engel016:

Why should I blame you, Ettico?

This is another one of the thousands CFS2 quirks discovered over the years. This is also the reason that makes this forum alive: work all together to debug the fantastic potential of this great flight sim.

Let me grab the opportunity to thank you, Ettico for these great sceneries instead! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

I am trying to replace the water you used in your bmp's with Stiz's Euro water v.1, the one I use in my ETO theatre, so that the coast sceneries blends even better with the rivers/sea. If I succed, I'll post a few screenies.

Thank you Rami for the :welcome: fix...!!

Cheers!

kdriver
February 4th, 2009, 03:44
This is an unfortunate consequence of all the new fabulous gsl scenery coming out. The Port Moresby upgrades, first by Dog1 and now by Pen32Win is another example of scenery sharing the same gob area. Martin Wright's GobCheck and GSLEdit allow you to have your cake and eat it too - to some degree. GobCheck allows you to merge layouts as long as the total number of objects is a maximum of 500. I edit the layout file to get rid of some of the trees and keep the aircraft and infrastructure, if the number of objects is going to exceed 500. Using these tools you can, for example, preserve waterfront scenery from an earlier download and incorporate it into the latest version of a particular scenery which may not have any or not as much waterfront scenery.

Ettico
February 4th, 2009, 08:44
Why should I blame you, Ettico?

This is another one of the thousands CFS2 quirks discovered over the years. This is also the reason that makes this forum alive: work all together to debug the fantastic potential of this great flight sim.

Let me grab the opportunity to thank you, Ettico for these great sceneries instead! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

I am trying to replace the water you used in your bmp's with Stiz's Euro water v.1, the one I use in my ETO theatre, so that the coast sceneries blends even better with the rivers/sea. If I succed, I'll post a few screenies.

Thank you Rami for the :welcome: fix...!!

Cheers!

Thanks Kelticheart,

When you succeed in changing the water textures, feel free to upload or otherwise share them. The Eurotargets are open source.

When I edit the bmp's, I find I have to re-create the alpha channel (transparency) with DXTbmp, then use MS Imagetool to convert the bmp + alpha back to 8-bit.

Except for the ones with the fuzzy edges. You don't need to convert them to 8-bit, but you do have to load them into DXTbmp as an "extended" image. They were made by pasting the target image over a CFS2 cloud bmp, and then saving them with DXTbmp as extended16-bit 444-4.

Wulf190
February 4th, 2009, 08:50
Tanks for the fix Rami!

Rami
February 4th, 2009, 09:49
Don't thank me, guys. Thank Achim. He was the one who provided the fix to me.

In addition, if you guys (kdriver noticed this) have GSL conflicts, you can try combining the GSL files. :wiggle:

okm3rd
September 5th, 2009, 03:01
[QUOTE=Rami;103420]Kelti,

This has been noticed and dealt with appropriately. Here is the GSL file you'll need to correct the issue.

(Just rename it after downloading)

This GSL file includes both the airbase and the Kiel EuroTarget.

Where might one find that fix? Many thanks.

okm3rd

Devildog73
September 5th, 2009, 04:12
Yeah Rams, the link did not post. I ran my mouse over your entire post and there is no "fix" linked. :isadizzy:

Rami
September 5th, 2009, 04:31
Devildog,

Hop onto my site and Download the Royal Canadian Air Force campaign.

http://ramirez412001.wetpaint.com/page/Europe+-+Great+Britain

Jagdflieger
September 5th, 2009, 04:58
I took a look at the RCAF campaign readme and the various files contained therein, but I wasn't quite sure what was done to fix the problem. What was fix to correct the missing GSL objects when using the Euro Targets and Achim's airfields. Is the solution in the new .gsl files contained in the campaign?

Just curious with some time on my hands today.

Thanks!

Rami
September 5th, 2009, 05:14
I updated the site this morning...everything should be there. Feel free to browse around!

MaskRider
September 5th, 2009, 06:16
Another work around to this problem is for the designers to include the actual scenery layout file with the scenery. That way the layout can be installed using MB's built in GSL editor without having to worry about possible GOB over writing that can occur when using Martin's GSLMan and GSLEdit.

That way it matters not whatever other scenery objects may be present in the area.

Skipsan
September 5th, 2009, 06:29
Rami all I get to your web-page is the wetpain OOP'S! megs. same as for SC's page. My computer will NOT accesses wetpain.

So how can I get there :icon_lol:

Skipsan :kilroy:

Rami
September 5th, 2009, 07:08
Skipsan,

I'll send it to you. Send me a PM with your e-mail, because I forgot it. :redf: