PDA

View Full Version : Mounting the TrackIR behind your head....

Navy Chief
March 12th, 2016, 05:23
Many years ago, when I attended the 2007 AVSIM Convention, the folks from Natural Point were there, doing demonstrations of the TrackIR. I had spoken with one of the reps, who mentioned setting up the device behind his head, and it worked fine. Never tried this, but am considering it..... It is difficult to place my TrackIR device on top of my LCD monitor. I have an older model with the flimsy metal stand. I do have one of the plastic mounting brackets that Natural Point sells, but it doesn't work. NC

https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=23167

Dangerous Beans
March 12th, 2016, 05:50
I'm still using a TiR 3 Pro and mounted on my monitor by bending the legs with pliers and uning a piece of gaffer tape to hold it in place.
Its a bit Heath Robinson but does the trick.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35962&stc=1

Navy Chief
March 12th, 2016, 06:11
I will try your suggestion if the behind-the-head setup doesn't work. I have a shelf located behind my chair, with a shelf at the perfect height. Will experiment. NC

MarkH
March 12th, 2016, 08:17
It is difficult to place my TrackIR device on top of my LCD monitor

Use a blob of blu-tack, the universal bracket!

stansdds
March 13th, 2016, 04:11
I am another TIR-3 user who affixed the unit to the monitor with duct tape.

Navy Chief
March 13th, 2016, 06:07
I tried the behind-the-head mount, but (even though it will work) the process to get it configured would take too long....for me, anyway.

I found out part of the problem I was having. I had been using the hat I got with my TrackIR 3, in addition to the clip on that hat. The sensor patch on the front of the hats bill was causing a problem (too many sensor areas?) I don't know.

But when I put the clip on a different ball cap, it seems to work MUCH better with the TrackIR3. I am able to look around the cockpit without the camera view jumping around and going nuts. And, most importantly, the camera recenters to the front view, where it would not previously.

Making more progress. Along with the EZDOK addon, this is becoming a LOT of fun!:encouragement: NC

Dangerous Beans
March 13th, 2016, 07:03
I used the track clip with baseball cap for many years, I had the same problem with the reflector on the peak too but fixed it by scraping the reflective layer off with a craft knife (I didn't have another cap to try).

I use this now http://www.trackhat.org/#!trackhat-clip/c6i2 and its a huge improvement over the cap and clip, it does mean I have to wear headphones now but Im sure my nabours appreciate it :)

Navy Chief
March 13th, 2016, 12:55
I used the track clip with baseball cap for many years, I had the same problem with the reflector on the peak too but fixed it by scraping the reflective layer off with a craft knife (I didn't have another cap to try).

I use this now http://www.trackhat.org/#!trackhat-clip/c6i2 and its a huge improvement over the cap and clip, it does mean I have to wear headphones now but Im sure my nabours appreciate it :)

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one. It cost me a little more as I am in the U.S., but their product is a lot sturdier than the one made by Natural Point.......NC

Naismith
March 13th, 2016, 23:55
Trackhat works great and imo & better & cheaper than TrackIR. I would not have jumped ship but my TIR flimsy as it was, snapped its legs and was velcro'd onto the monitor so when TrackHat emerged I thought I would give it a go. I was convinced by a couple of independent videos on YT by Froogle and a Mr Cobolman who both reviewed it in depth. You won't regret it I'm sure. It is robust and easy-ISH to set up. I am just getting my FSX set up again after a hiatus so I don't know yet how it functions within EZDOK or if it does at all.
My only regret if it is a regret at all is that I bought mine about 6 weeks before they went with a wireless option.:encouragement:

DickB
March 14th, 2016, 02:34
I can confirm that mounting TIR behind your head is a viable option. I used mine that way for a while because I had nowhere to fix the transceiver as I front project onto a large screen. As far as I recall, all that was needed was to reverse a couple of the axes. Afraid I can't confirm the detail as I don't use TIR any more.