PDA

View Full Version : MAIW packages to FSX

Navy Chief
March 10th, 2016, 17:55
I have never learned the process of converting MAIW packages to FSX. A couple of times I tried reading through the lengthy document (65 pages!) that details how to do this, but the confusion factor got so high I gave up each time.

But it keeps nagging at me! Today I downloaded MAIW's EP-3E package, AI Flight Planner, and Editvoicepack.

I had watched a youtube video about MAIW to FSX conversion by Desmond Burrell. Good video, but the AI Flight Planner illustrated in his video is apparently much older than the current version, and I was unable to figure things out.

AI must really add life to FSX, and the MAIW creations are quite amazing. But so far I haven't been able to solve the puzzle of installing them! NC

Victory103
March 10th, 2016, 18:14
NC, to get the most help, I would suggest a trip over to the MAIW forums and create an account. I did the initial set up from the guide, but do a manual install of each package now. So I unzip/run the installer to a temp folder that has the same FS structure (Airplanes, Scenery...). Then I manually move each airfield.bgl over to the AddOn Scenery/scenery unless there is custom scenery. Custom scenery is set up as per the guide. Same with the aircraft themselves, as with the guide I have a separate "MAIW" folder under my Simobjects. Effects are copied over the same, if any main folder textures (NBAI weapons.bmp), they get added.

I then fire up AIFP3, and do the conversion (Bulk Traffic..Convert FS9 files to FSX), pointing the newly converted file with the _FSX.bgl extension to my FSX Scenery/World/scenery folder. Finally I add the voicepacks in.

I also use AI-Editor 2.2x from Martin found on his site http://www.owlsnest.eu/ to check all my models and aircraft.cfg entries (as in renumber the fltsim.xx) or missing textures.

Navy Chief
March 10th, 2016, 19:34
I pretty much did what you had suggested, but where I hit the brick wall every time is using the AI Flight Planner. Might as well be talking about math, because I get confused with trying to use that program........

gavinc
March 10th, 2016, 23:56
NC,
What problem are you having with AI Flight Planner?

I find the easiest way to convert the AI (we can discuss the scenery separately) is to

extract the MAIW files to a temporary directory. They usually have an EXE file within the zip file you download
within the temporary directory you will see an aircraft directory and within that you will find a folder with the AI aircraft (ie MAIW_JAI_EP-3E NAS WHIDBEY ISLAND)
drag that file into your FSX\SIMOBJECTS\AIRCRAFT folder
fire up AI Flight Planner
Go to Files
select Open Traffic File
Use the Select Traffic File dialog box to navigate to the temporary directory where you extracted the MAIW files
Drill down to the Scenery\World\Scenery directory where you should see the traffic BGL file (ie Traffic_MAIW_EP3E.bgl)
Select the file and Open it
The Traffic file should now be open and you should see the flght plan list, the airport list and the aircraft list
on the left of the application (near the middle left) is a set of radio buttons labeled TARGET VERSION. This is the version of Flight Sim that the traffic file will be compiled for. Select FSX, if you only have FSX installed on the PC then that should be the only button that you can select.
Click FSX
near the bottom of the screen should be a compile button with a compile path beside it.
Make sure the compile path is empty (this sets the compile path to the Scenery\World\scenery folder).
Now press the Compile button
This should create an FSX compatible traffic file in your FSX\Scenery\World\Scenery folder
Fire up FSX and go to Whidbey Island . You should see the EP3-E aircraft. If you don't it may be because there isn't any parking spots. Download and install the great Whidbey Island Scenery WINAS-1.zip and you should see them.

There are more complicated approaches with dedicated folders for the AI traffic etc but this should get you the traffic you want.

Hope this helps
Gavin