PDA

View Full Version : Kawanishi H8K Emily

Shessi
February 6th, 2016, 02:18
Hi Folks,
Just about finishing a re-vamp of an old FS2000 Emily. A great basic model back from 2002 by Aidan McCaffrey (thank you!), but no cockpit, VC etc. So added those, new crew, made multi-LOD, new texs and tweaks.

Also Stuart kindly did me/us a seaplane tender, the Akitsushima for CFS2. A new lick of paint and made it into some Fs9 scenery to go with the Emily. Just bits and pieces to go.

Cheers

Shessi

Blackbird686
February 6th, 2016, 03:40
Excellent revamp Shessi, especially since that was FS2000 era. Those big Japanese flying boats were lumbering and slow, but had some impressive range from what I have read. Japanese pilots got into trouble if they strayed too far over the oceans in those big giants... they were sitting ducks for allied pilots in Hellcats and Wildcats on patrol...

Keep up the good work, and the interest in FS9, mate.... :encouragement:

BB686:US-flag:

gaucho_59
February 6th, 2016, 06:33
Hi Folks,
Just about finishing a re-vamp of an old FS2000 Emily. A great basic model back from 2002 by Aidan McCaffrey (thank you!), but no cockpit, VC etc. So added those, new crew, made multi-LOD, new texs and tweaks.

Also Stuart kindly did me/us a seaplane tender, the Akitsushima for CFS2. A new lick of paint and made it into some Fs9 scenery to go with the Emily. Just bits and pieces to go.

Cheers

Shessi

The attention to detail and execution are great! I am still hoping for a He 115!!!
Cheers,
G.

Shessi
February 6th, 2016, 07:02
G,
Two things, yes the He115 is still there being worked on, now and then, and will arrive...sometime....

And no doubt you'll turn your art skills to a new Emily 2d panel, it needs your touch (I wish you'd get yer finger out and learn how to produce finished panels!..;))

Cheers

Shessi

SSI01
February 6th, 2016, 10:37
Looking forward to this one, it had a lot of respect from US pilots due to its armament and speed. I read somewhere two of these things made a little visit to Pearl Harbor one evening in the spring of 1942, they were supposed to have refueled from a submarine at French Frigate Shoals NW of HI and flown down for a damage assessment for the Pearl Harbor attack the previous December.

Hurricane91
February 7th, 2016, 04:45
Looking forward to this one, it had a lot of respect from US pilots due to its armament and speed.

Yes, beware of that tail gun.

Blackbird686
February 7th, 2016, 07:43
Shessi --

Check your email, mate. :running:

ViperPilot2
February 7th, 2016, 08:38
Very nice Emily, Shessi! Thanks again for thinking of us Niners, and for keeping these great flying boats alive!

Alan :encouragement:

GO BRONCOS!

norab
February 7th, 2016, 10:57
:applause::jump::jump:

SSI01
February 7th, 2016, 12:25
This thing was a flying porcupine similar to the Short Sunderland, although larger, faster, and handier. I read somewhere its defensive weapons were CANNON, not machine guns. One sees a lot of the Shin-Mei-Wa in this bird, in particular in the hull profile. Speaking of which - there's a subject for an updated FS9 model.

Shessi
February 7th, 2016, 12:29
Folks,
Please don't forget, the original model was made by Aidan McCaffrey, and I agree he made a cracking job of the external mdl, also the Emily is one good looking bird. I've just dragged it into the 21st with a VC, external cockpit and crew etc. Funny though, in his original readme back in 2002(!), he states that he intends to make a VC for it....obvious the 'force' didn't stay with him..which is a shame really, as he was a good modeller.

Alan, I only 'do' for Fs9 and CFS2, obviously some/most of the stuff can be used just as well in FSX, but as the two sims are quite compatible it makes life easier.

Cheers

Shessi

gaucho_59
February 8th, 2016, 16:54
Folks,
Please don't forget, the original model was made by Aidan McCaffrey, and I agree he made a cracking job of the external mdl, also the Emily is one good looking bird. I've just dragged it into the 21st with a VC, external cockpit and crew etc. Funny though, in his original readme back in 2002(!), he states that he intends to make a VC for it....obvious the 'force' didn't stay with him..which is a shame really, as he was a good modeller.

Alan, I only 'do' for Fs9 and CFS2, obviously some/most of the stuff can be used just as well in FSX, but as the two sims are quite compatible it makes life easier.

Cheers

Shessi

HI Shessi,

I got a very nice detailed panel on the works... should be ready very soon...
G.

zswobbie1
February 8th, 2016, 22:02
There is some great CS2 stuff out there. How difficult is it to mod them for FS9?
Is it just a case of making sure all the gauges are there & modding the config file?
Or some darker magic involved?

TARPSBird
February 9th, 2016, 00:35
One sees a lot of the Shin-Mei-Wa in this bird, in particular in the hull profile. Speaking of which - there's a subject for an updated FS9 model.
Granted the Shin Meiwa PS-1 by Tomohito Unayama is more dated than Aidan McCaffrey's Emily, but I'd still like to see this flyable in FS9 with (at least) visible props. I'm surprised it hasn't already been updated by somebody in Japan. Also Unayama's turboprop P-2J.

p3aewguy
February 9th, 2016, 13:00
This thing was a flying porcupine similar to the Short Sunderland, although larger, faster, and handier. I read somewhere its defensive weapons were CANNON, not machine guns. One sees a lot of the Shin-Mei-Wa in this bird, in particular in the hull profile. Speaking of which - there's a subject for an updated FS9 model.

Amen to the Shin Meiwa. Would love to see the amphibian Shin Meiwa's! in FS9

Dave

zswobbie1
February 9th, 2016, 21:31
There is some great CS2 stuff out there. How difficult is it to mod them for FS9?
Is it just a case of making sure all the gauges are there & modding the config file?
Or some darker magic involved?

Anyone? :jump:

Shessi
February 10th, 2016, 13:27
Zswobbie,
As you described. Going from CFS2 to Fs2004 is easy, most will work straight off with the CFS2 airfile/aircraft.cfg files, the only tweak is to add the manufacturer id details to the aircraft.cfg file, otherwise it will only show up in your Unspecified list of ac. The basic animations will work ok. The gauges will work straight off, as they're old gau files, if you want better quality/action then re-populate the panel with xml gauges

Give it a go!

Cheers

Shessi

zswobbie1
February 10th, 2016, 21:06
Thanks for that. I thought so, I just was a bit concerned how easy it was..

I'm off to the CS2 libraries now.... :running:

gaucho_59
February 11th, 2016, 19:08
G,
Two things, yes the He115 is still there being worked on, now and then, and will arrive...sometime....

And no doubt you'll turn your art skills to a new Emily 2d panel, it needs your touch (I wish you'd get yer finger out and learn how to produce finished panels!..;))

Cheers

Shessi

Shessi: I answered your PM... here is the result for now...

Something to accompany your new upcoming redo ... available as usual... Comments and/or suggestions welcome..
yoke on separate texture for a pop-up...

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1473/24339106814_1c12302b05_o.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1586/24969749345_b1e39771b2_o.jpg

:ernaehrung004:
G.

Shessi
February 11th, 2016, 23:46
Great work there G! :applause:

Cheers

Shessi

gaucho_59
February 12th, 2016, 13:17
Great work there G! :applause:

Cheers

Shessi

I am answering your PM here so I can attach a photo...
[as you can see in this photo... the panels are nowhere near black... you are right, the yoke and wheels are indeed different... (jut noticed it as they are turned to one side)
granted that there were probably different versions around in real life... as usual... no real "official" colors... I have an artist's (Japanese)
version wherein colors are different too... The pics you sent me are mostly "colorless"... lol
I'll send the artist rendition later today...

Cheers,
Carlos

gaucho_59
February 13th, 2016, 05:56
Instead of the artist version... I decided to follow through with your suggestions...
here is the corrected version...

If it is OK.. I'll send you the bmps...

Cheers,
G.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1491/24631881029_73e1c6272c_o.jpg

Shessi
February 13th, 2016, 09:26
Really good there G :applause:

Looks spot on to me, thank you.

Yes, fire them over, layered etc, and I'll put some gauges in, and we should be at upload.

Cheers

Shessi

gaucho_59
February 14th, 2016, 19:42
Really good there G :applause:

Looks spot on to me, thank you.

Yes, fire them over, layered etc, and I'll put some gauges in, and we should be at upload.

Cheers

Shessi

Rather stupid of me... I deleted your email after I opened the files you sent and with it your address...
write me a short note just to be able to answer your note and enclose the textures...
G.

Blackbird686
February 20th, 2016, 14:09
This project is well on it's way to becoming a real stunner. The "Emily" is definitely a rare bird... don't think anyone has done one for FS9, and this one will fit into my sea faring flight plans nicely. Keep up the good work and thanks for "Keepin' em' Flying".

Shessi
February 23rd, 2016, 02:09
Hi Folks,
Just uploaded the Emily, along with the Akitsushima seaplane tender scenery.

Cheers

Shessi

wombat666
February 23rd, 2016, 02:20
Out-Bloody-Standing!:triumphant:
A welcome addition to my collection of 'boats'.
Thank you.

Shessi
February 23rd, 2016, 03:44
Rippaa maaate!

Doing this I came to really appreciate just how close the Japanese got to Aus. The location of the Akitsushima and Emily ops at Shortland Is, Bougainville was less than a 1000 miles from Cairns!!! :redfire:

Cheers

Shessi

Blackbird686
February 23rd, 2016, 09:42
She's a real beauty, Shessi. Outstanding work, mate! :encouragement:

Seahawk72s
May 22nd, 2016, 14:46
Are there plans to incorporate a 2D panel with a yoke window..?
I see the bmps for both in the panel folder but no entries in the panel.cfg.

The bmps and the panel screen shots in the forum look great..!

Thanks,
Tony

Seahawk72s
May 24th, 2016, 11:41
Are there plans to incorporate a 2D panel with a yoke window..?
I see the bmps for both in the panel folder but no entries in the panel.cfg.

The bmps and the panel screen shots in the forum look great..!

Thanks,
Tony

I found an updated version of the panel along with Japanese gauges for a 4 engine aircraft. All set...:jump:

zswobbie1
May 25th, 2016, 00:40
Please share where you found a panel? (if possible)

Blackbird686
May 25th, 2016, 11:57
An update can be found here:

http://simviation.com/1/browse-Vintage-66-0

Fourth down from the top on that page, however it is for FSX. Not sure if it's the same one that Seahawk72 is talking about in his post.

Seahawk72s
May 25th, 2016, 19:42
BB686 is correct, my mistake for not having included the link.

I am doing some testing to see about giving Emily active 4 engine gauge capability, modified the panel bmp, borrowed the "MAPE_Jap_4Eng.gau (by Mike (MoparMike) Wagner) and swapped out the air file with a Sunderland so the gauges worked. Not sure where the gau came from.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38302&stc=1

zswobbie1
May 25th, 2016, 23:11
Many thanks for your link, & I look forward to your 4 engine mod as well.
:applause::jump::encouragement: