PDA

View Full Version : Joystick is making me crazy

davido53
January 25th, 2016, 13:41
I have an old MS Precision Pro, which I"ve always loved...

for the past year or so the throttle control has been acting up in FSX...it is fine in my other dozen flight sims, no problem.

In FSX the throttle will sometimes start to shake...the throttle in the a/c will be shaking violently and only putting out about 30% thrust

So I ended up buying a used Saitek FLY5...it didn't work, money down the drain.

Then I bought a new SAitek FLY5, one button didn't work so I sent it back.

Then I bought a brand new Precision Pro, thinking my old one had just gone bad...

the new Precision Pro does EXACTLY the same thing in FSX

I have to unplug the USB port which will sometimes make it work, but sometimes it doesn't

I have no clue what is going on with this joystick and FSX

Navy Chief
January 25th, 2016, 13:59
I did a quick search for any forum talking about this problem. I have always had a problem locating specific threads on SOH. Way too much gets listed, and I don't understand how to filter the search.

However I did find one rather quickly on Flightsim.com from 2010. Maybe try some of their suggestions? NC

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?224288-Saving-FSX-amp-Control-configuration-files

Firebar
January 25th, 2016, 14:16
It might not be useful for you but I've had some success with a program called vjoy and the universal joystick remapper. If it's just fsx not liking the stick you can make it appear to be a different one, with some nice tweaking controls.

It it also allows you to start the game without your stick plugged in and just plug it in and go, as to the engine the virtual control that it creates stays plugged in the whole time.

Willy
January 25th, 2016, 16:42
I've been using the same old Precison Pro since it was new about 15 years ago (have several parts sticks that I picked up in yard sales etc.). No issues in any flight sim (FSX SE in Win 8.1 now) but I'm wondering if that might end with Win 10. MS hasn't made these sticks in years and years. Sooner or later Windows is going to conflict with them. The good thing is that you can't hardly wear one out.

Edit: Is your's force feedback or regular? Those force feedback ones gave a lot of folks problems back in the day. There used to be websites on repairing the things. Most of my parts sticks are force feedback. The one I've used all these years isn't.

davido53
January 25th, 2016, 16:43
thank you gents

Willy
January 25th, 2016, 16:57
Just a quick ID guide to MS Sidewinder Precision Pros

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34295&stc=1

Precision Pro Force Feedback. Note the raised area on the upper right corner of the base

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34296&stc=1

Precision Pro Regular no raised area for the force feedback guts to fit in. And it weighs about half as much as the FFB stick.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34297&stc=1

MS Sidewinder Precision Pro 2. Not even the same stick. MS replaced the original with these which have totally different electronics and do not last as long as the original Precision Pros. Like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Chevy. The 2 was much cheaper to make and they originally sold it for the same price as the better stick.

My first Precision Pro was Force Feedback. The FFB power supply connecter broke so I soldered the wire up inside the stick. Then several months later the PS went dead. So much for a $140 stick that didn't last a year. I'd picked up the one I have now on clearance when the 2 came out for $75. (normally about $100) Best $75 I ever spent.

BrittMac
January 25th, 2016, 17:41
The X-55's have issues with the throttle if the throttle sensitivity slider is not maxed out. I know it's a different stick, but, maybe a similar issue?

davido53
January 25th, 2016, 20:27
I believe I have found the culprit.

The force feedback was ticked on in FSX and this is not a FF stick...so I unticked it and so far so good...thank goodness!

Navy Chief
January 26th, 2016, 06:55
Dont'cha just love the simple, unexpected solutions? :encouragement: NC

davido53
January 26th, 2016, 07:14
omg it's still busted

Navy Chief
January 26th, 2016, 07:39
As W.C. Fields would have said, "Drat!"