PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Got Scasm ???

Mick
January 21st, 2016, 14:17
There's a scenery issue here that might be fixed by someone who has the Scasm program, which I do not have and I don't think my rig can run it.. This is a request for help from anyone who might be capable of offering aid.

If you haven't been reading the NAS Glenview thread, it's a CFS-2 scenery that works in FS9, but there's a problem where the underlying ground textures bleed through the runways and ramps at certain view angles. We've tried to fix it with a flatten file and by fiddling with the airport elevation in AFCAD, but with no success.

The problem of ground textures bleeding through airport ramps and runways was common in FS2002. Page C. Cline and Hans van Wyhe released a series of "apronfix" sets that fixed the problem at various airports. The solution required a bgl file that they made for each airport plus three texture files, two that we all have in FS9 and one that they provide in their downloads.

It's probably possible to reverse engineer one of their bgl files and make one for Glenview, but I can't open one. I've tried with Notepad, AFCAD, Sbuilder and Resource Hacker, and none of them will open the file. although Notepad shows a heading that says that the bgl was created with Scasm.

I downloaded the latest version of Scasm only to find that it's installer is a DOS program, which I don't understand, so I can't even install it to open the file with it. And my present confuter doesn't have DOS or virtual DOS anyway, so I don't think I could install the program even if I knew how.

If someone here has Scasm and knows how to use it, I'll bet they could open one of those old files, see how it works, and produce a fix file for Glenview.

Lane Street
January 21st, 2016, 14:35
SCASM is a scenery compiler, it will not decompile anything.

It runs from the Command Prompt or you can drag and drop an appropriate file on it.

Take a look at BGLAnalyzer- http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=27375

cheers,
Lane

Willy
January 21st, 2016, 16:01
I'd be interested in this too. I've got an old custom CFS 1 Scenery that was made for the members here that I got into FS9, but it had the same issues. I did AFCADs and every other trick I could think of but the original runways and taxiways would still ghost in at certain angles when flying above it. I've just lived with it but never uploaded it for FS9 because of the issues.

Edit: I've made AFCADs, adjusted the airfield elevation, tried to paint out the runway & taxiway textures in pure black to make them invisible, but nothing worked.

Mick
January 21st, 2016, 16:04
SCASM is a scenery compiler, it will not decompile anything. It runs from the Command Prompt or you can drag and drop an appropriate file on it. Take a look at BGLAnalyzer- http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=27375
cheers, Lane

I forgot to include BGL Analyzer on the long list of programs that won't open those files.

I thought that a file made in Scasm could be opened by Scasm. Is that not so? Is it something in the manner of BGLcomp - it will complie and save a file, but you then need a different program to open it and read it?

Lane Street
January 21st, 2016, 17:46
I forgot to include BGL Analyzer on the long list of programs that won't open those files.

I thought that a file made in Scasm could be opened by Scasm. Is that not so? Is it something in the manner of BGLcomp - it will complie and save a file, but you then need a different program to open it and read it?

All you need to know- http://www.scasm.de/

Mick
January 22nd, 2016, 05:46
Willie, it sounds like we've tried all the same things to solve the same problem, with the same lack of results.

Lane, thanks for the link. That's where I downloaded Scasm, thinking I could use it to open one of those files, only to find that the installer wouldn't even run on my confuter.

So, is there no program that will open a Scasm file? Are we just out of luck?

Does anyone know how to make a fix for the problem from scratch, without having to open and reverse engineer one of those FS2002 files?