PDA

View Full Version : weird MS error message

delta_lima
February 2nd, 2009, 09:29
Hello,

Out of the blue, when I try to launch either of my FS installs, I get a "stop error", citing a certain E5D141.tmp file .... anyone know what this is?

I've tried using an older version of my fs1958.cfg, nada.

Many thanks!

dl

Wh61
February 2nd, 2009, 10:33
Hello,

Out of the blue, when I try to launch either of my FS installs, I get a "stop error", citing a certain E5D141.tmp file .... anyone know what this is?

I've tried using an older version of my fs1958.cfg, nada.

Many thanks!

dl

Go to Google and type in the error. I just did and it will give you what you what it is and how to correct the issue.

delta_lima
February 2nd, 2009, 21:31
Go to Google and type in the error. I just did and it will give you what you what it is and how to correct the issue.

Well, I know it's a Macrovision file - deleted the program that uses it (an automatic updater in my program files/common programs/install shield folder. The problem is that any time I launch FS, it still gives me the message.

I've purchased a registry cleaner (Registry Booster), download CleanUp! and installed them them - nothing. The Registry booster keeps finding 10 traces - which get removed every time it sweeps, and after rebooting, they come back.

Utterly bizarre - new computer two weeks old, running Webroot Spyware and Norton Antivirus since day 1.

:help:

dl

Blackbird686
February 3rd, 2009, 02:33
Most (note, I say most) of these little querks that cause a "Stop Error" message are *.tmp files and shouldn't cause any problems if they are removed. A "stop error" is simply a message saying that Windows couldn't successfully close a certain application because of the file in question... (E5D141.tmp file). I had the same problem with the Macromedia (Adobe) Flash Player installed on my system. In all cases I have un-installed the program altogether, run PC Tools Registry Mechanic, remove ALL temp internet and cookie files and re-installed the Flash Player. This did the trick for a while but then the little problem came back. I have receintly installed the full version of AVG 8.0 and since then.... no worries.

BB686:USA-flag:

delta_lima
February 3rd, 2009, 06:45
Most (note, I say most) of these little querks that cause a "Stop Error" message are *.tmp files and shouldn't cause any problems if they are removed. A "stop error" is simply a message saying that Windows couldn't successfully close a certain application because of the file in question... (E5D141.tmp file). I had the same problem with the Macromedia (Adobe) Flash Player installed on my system. In all cases I have un-installed the program altogether, run PC Tools Registry Mechanic, remove ALL temp internet and cookie files and re-installed the Flash Player. This did the trick for a while but then the little problem came back. I have receintly installed the full version of AVG 8.0 and since then.... no worries.

BB686:USA-flag:

thanks BB!

The weird thing with the file is I delete it - even flushing it from the recycle bin ... and the moment I try to run FS, it spawns again.

I'll look into some of your tips later today.

dl

FengZ
February 3rd, 2009, 07:07
there are several ways for files to make re-make themselves:

1. strong copy protection software with a "rootkit" type installation. This makes themselves extremely difficult to remove and find. Registry cleaners can't do a thing. You have to manually get rid of all traces by booting into safemode (and sometimes this is almost impossible). These types of protection are usually installed with expensive 3D applications and certain games. Read this for additional info:

http://news.cnet.com/FAQ-Sonys-rootkit-CDs/2100-1029_3-5946760.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

2. the software was uninstalled, but not it's services. Type "services.msc" in the run command and look for any services related to this Microvision application. Then simply "disable" them. Becareful, don't disable vital services or windows might stop functioning.

3. a trojan/virus which has infected your fs9.exe. Each time you run fs9.exe, it spawns new .tmp files. Try using another virus scanner or even a free online scanner.

4. Microvision (btw i have no idea what this software does), replaced a core file in WinXP, which will auto "fix" itself if deleted - thus, the file returns each time. One way to solve this is to re-install Microvision and see if that fixes the problem. Then, don't use the uninstall feature, but simply delete the Microvision folder from Program Files

umm..that's all i can think of for now..hope it helps

-feng