PDA

View Full Version : How many hours do you spend on the SOH ?

huub vink
January 12th, 2016, 11:54
As the title of this thread already explains, I wonder how much time people actually spend here at the forums, compared with the time they actually spend in the flightsim?

For me it is simple I visit the forums several times a day. Normally early in the morning, in the early afternoon during my lunch break and in the evening I normally have the forum open in the back ground. I guess I'm on the site 2 to 3 hours every day.

I can't recall I have spend this amount of time in the flightsim. Sometimes I make a long flight, which lasts more than an hour and sometimes even a couple of hours. But I don't do this often and definitely not every day.

Nevertheless I have spend more money on the flightsim. Even when I don't look at the amount of money I have spend on a decent PC, I have invested a lot of money in payware over the years.

The odd thing is that I don't think I have invested the same amount of money in the SOH, although it play be a more important role in my life......

That's why a decided to make an extra donation for the SOH. And I hope you will too.

Thanks for reading,
Huub

T6flyer
January 12th, 2016, 12:42
I must pop in and about 4 times a day and stay for about an hour in total.

Probably do a lot more coming here than using the sim. Can't remember the last time I turned it on. May have been 10 days or so ago. My love of it has somewhat diminished but my interest in aviation is still there. People may think this is weird and to tell the truth I can't explain it myself. If it wasn't for my involvement with a forthcoming payware release, then I wouldn't use FSX at all. It is only this that has kept my interest 'going'.

And for the 4th year in a row I've made a contribution to this website. I have got so much out of it (was introduced to it by Tim Conrad years ago - before that I never knew it existed) and still find it an interesting place to visit. Must be one of the first places that I look at, when I log on. (But still am down for a 2015 Contributor - please can that be altered).

Best wishes,

Martin

glennc
January 12th, 2016, 12:43
Huub, my time in this forum is about like yours, a few minutes here, a few minutes there. In FSX, an hour or so four or five times per week. I'd like to fly everyday but don't quite make that.

Glenn

gman5250
January 12th, 2016, 12:46
Interesting question:

I'm working full time, developing a new line of payware scenery. I had done a short stint with ORBX, Tipella CBB7 Freeware and CYSE Squamish were the only two projects I did as a "contractor". I decided to move forward as an independent from that point, and plowed the capital from the payware sales back into my new endeavor.

My work day usually runs from 12 to 18 hours, most of which I spend devoted to designing, modeling and creating art.

Simulator time is 98% dedicated to beta testing, consisting mostly of short work intervals in the actual sim. I do try to fit in one short hop flight each day, just to remain proficient. Typical commuter flight, duration approx. 1-2 hours. Most of my free flight time is dedicated to flying within the regions I am developing.

SOH Homepage
I check into SOH about once an hour to check posts, private messages or make occasional posts, comments and an occasional rant.

I've spent most of my disposable income in the last three years building a state-of-the-art design studio, entirely dedicated to sim development.

Studio:
Computer approx: $4,600+
Specs are in my signature.

Studio software, Photoshop CS6, Autodesk 3D Studio Max 2015, Cyberlink Power Director Suite. Pricey...but worth it.

Sim Suite:
FSX, FSX ST, REX Suite plus Weather Architect, AS Next, OPUS, Aivla Soft EFB, ORBX FTX Global, Global Vector and various regions/airports, Prepar3D V3.1...and counting.

Thank you to all of the developers who have contributed their freeware, which we all rely on heavily.

I maintain a comprehensive library of payware and freeware aircraft, also quite a few payware airports as well.

I support SOH with donations along with pro bono contributions in the form of aircraft, skins and occasional technical contributions.

I live on an extremely limited, fixed income as do many of our members. The decision to produce an new product line is driven, in part, by a need to supplement my retirement, but more importantly by my passion for this work.

Most importantly, my wonderful wife is fully supportive of my work and is the inspiration behind my motivation.

jandmbear
January 12th, 2016, 13:31
I check it at least 3 times a day. Probably a total of 3 hours a week minimum. :a1310:

ryanbatc
January 12th, 2016, 14:04
I'm on a lot but for a short amount of time - maybe 1 hour total daily

Jafo
January 12th, 2016, 16:11
Auto-load home page....along with 4 others, 3 of which are admin-work related....;)

No Dice
January 12th, 2016, 16:32
Every free moment, great crowd around here, total about at least 15 min. a day

Funny though, I am just a mud pusher and panel maker for CFS1 and CFS2, don't
think I have flown in other than slew mode in a few months. Wife is away for a week
so, I may just do that.

Dave

gribouil
January 12th, 2016, 20:40
Not enough according to me... but far too much according to my wife!!!:ernaehrung004:
That being said, I'd say an hour per day...

stansdds
January 13th, 2016, 01:51
I do not sim fly every day, but I check the forums here at least once every day.

dhasdell
January 13th, 2016, 02:51
Not enough according to me... but far too much according to my wife!!!:ernaehrung004:
Sounds about right. Does the call from another room: "How much longer are you going to be on that bloody computer?" ring any bells?

SpaceWeevil
January 13th, 2016, 03:35
As the title of this thread already explains, I wonder how much time people actually spend here at the forums, compared with the time they actually spend in the flightsim?

For me it is simple I visit the forums several times a day. Normally early in the morning, in the early afternoon during my lunch break and in the evening I normally have the forum open in the back ground. I guess I'm on the site 2 to 3 hours every day.

I can't recall I have spend this amount of time in the flightsim. Sometimes I make a long flight, which lasts more than an hour and sometimes even a couple of hours. But I don't do this often and definitely not every day.

Nevertheless I have spend more money on the flightsim. Even when I don't look at the amount of money I have spend on a decent PC, I have invested a lot of money in payware over the years.

The odd thing is that I don't think I have invested the same amount of money in the SOH, although it play be a more important role in my life......

That's why a decided to make an extra donation for the SOH. And I hope you will too.

Thanks for reading,
Huub

I visit SOH every time I'm at the computer, say 40-60 minutes a day spread over 3 or 4 visits - maybe a little longer than I spend flying averaged over a week. SOH is always my first stop for FSX and P3D news, information & opinion - nowhere else has the depth of knowledge and passion combined with overall niceness (for want of a better word). I'm very happy to follow your lead and chip in again.

expat
January 13th, 2016, 08:33
If you ask me, not enough time. Ask my wife, you will get a very harsh and different answer, and much more rude than

"How much longer are you going to be on that bloody computer?" :adoration:

Dev One
January 13th, 2016, 10:25
And if my wife was a bit more tech minded she would blame me for being on line at the same time she is connected & blaming the computer for being slow to connect to the internet! Shssssss. Seriously, I look in about 3 times a day just to check some of the forums, but thats in between making my models.
Keith

huub vink
January 13th, 2016, 11:02
I'm very happy to follow your lead and chip in again.

I hope that more people will follow your example as you don't know what you miss until its gone.......

Cheers,
Huub

gribouil
January 13th, 2016, 11:08
Sounds about right. Does the call from another room: "How much longer are you going to be on that bloody computer?" ring any bells?

Oh yes it does!!! :wavey:

ChipShop
January 13th, 2016, 11:10
Generally, I like to visit the forum most evenings; then either before or after have a little fly around in something for 20mins or so.

If the mood takes me, post a few screenshots back on SOH!

A Great Community!:encouragement:

ChipShop:loyal:

Rami
January 13th, 2016, 13:34
Huub,

It depends how deep my pile of work is at my desk, or how much of a Mission Builder "bender" I happen to be on at the time. Sometimes, if I'm out all day, I have to manage the library from my IPhone.

Most of the time, I'm checking out the site, but largely fiddling in the library or answering CFS2 threads.

To answer your question, about five hours a week. But that's a guess. I donated when I got back from holiday, but I'll make another at the end of the month.

Good choice of being positive and subtle without resorting to browbeating, by the way! :very_drunk:

musterpilot
January 13th, 2016, 14:44
Been retired I look about 4 or 5 times a day.

The missus dose not care reckons it keeps me out of her hair.:applause:

Milton Shupe
January 13th, 2016, 16:31
Probably too much time here rather than building more freeware :-)

I subscribe to all threads where I have an interest so I check in frequently for short periods and that often times sends me off to prepare a response with some research or preparation before posting.

I also check lots of different forums as I try to make my finished products or the gmax source available for any sim that wants it. And on occasion I try to do tutorials for those who need help, whether posted here or not for public consumption. The beauty of that is getting to know contributors from CFS2, CFS3, FS9, FSX and work with some P3D simmers.

Since this is my "home", our products are always released here first and then later to other websites. This is done to show appreciation for all the help given by SOH members during product development.

SOH is a great place to be ... it just feels good here. :wavey: