PDA

View Full Version : How does FSX work with Dual GPU boards?

William
January 7th, 2016, 02:15
I know FSX does not like SLI, atleast not in its normal usage. But i got myself a sweet new machine from part off EBay and its going to have a MSI GeForce 9800GX2 in it. Basically its a dual PCB card acting as one GPU.

I actually have a question regarding the CPU too. Basically i can go with a high clocked Core 2 Duo or a 2.3 - 2.6 GHz Core 2 Quad. I know FSX likes high single core performance. This build is more or less for show but its also going to be my main gaming rig for when im in my bedroom for older games such as FSX so im trying to make sure it has enough horsepower for that. Heres what the build will look like:

Optiplex 755 Motherboard and Case (ATX Case, not the SFF version)
Undetermined Wolfdale or Yorkfield based Core2
Optiplex 755 stock semi-passive cooler (users of dell machine will know what i mean and As an expelled high school student i have no budget for proper cooling and yes im aware that probably makes me the youngest non troll here, but i still know a Sequentially Geared Turbocharged Allison V3420 when i hear one so dont think i dont know my stuff :) )
Shark Technologys 650w PSU (generic PSU, no way im going to push it past 450)
4GB DDR2 Memory
MSI NVIDIA GeForce 9800GX2 (basically 2 underclocked 8800GTS PCBs on 1 PCI-E Slot, 512MB per board)

That sounds pretty underspec'd but i run FSX with mostly stock scenery (US Cities X is my only scenery addon) and my planes are usually older single engine prop monoplanes + the monitor ill be hooking this up to
only accepts a 720p video so im thinking the GX2 should handle my usual near max settings fine (after the usual 2 months of various config tweaks lol) not that ill be able to notice with my eyesight in its current state.

So cant anyone here offer insight as to what to expect from that dual PCB GPU or over advice on what CPU to get?

Anyways can anybody whos been in the simulator word

stansdds
January 7th, 2016, 02:28
FSX with SP1 or later actually likes fast, multi-core CPU's. Only the original release version of FSX was single core optimized.

My first FSX rig was a Core2Duo 3.0 GHz CPU and an Nvidia 8800GT OverClock video with 512 MB VRAM, and 2 GB of DDR2 RAM. I quickly discovered that I had to overclock the CPU in order to get good performance. I've upgraded to a Core2Quad overclocked to 3.8 GHz, a 1 MB Nvidia 560Ti Super OverClocked video card, and 4 GB of DDR2 RAM and it performs much better.

wombat666
January 7th, 2016, 03:00
FSX is quite happy with SLI but it certainly needs a hefty CPU.
:encouragement:

Hdguy
January 7th, 2016, 07:56
I had stutters and lags with a 4870 X 2 card.. never could get it smoothed out...

That said I went with a new build with a Radion R9 200 series card and never been happier. CPU is a quad OCed to 4.5 AMD.