PDA

View Full Version : What's Up With This?

falcon409
December 19th, 2015, 12:16
Anyone have any idea why this is happening? I completed some art for the batting inside a cargo plane and converted it to dds format like the other textures but it looked really messed up in the Sim, so I figured I would save it as a bitmap and then load it into DXTbmp and do the conversion there allowing a bit more control. However when I loaded the bitmap into DXTbmp it looked like what you see below. The original on the left, the saved bitmap on the right in DXTbmp. Anyone seen this before?

falcon409
December 19th, 2015, 14:49
Must have been corrupted somehow. . .looks fine in PSP format, but converting it to any other format scrambles the image. Never had that happen before. Luckily I had a layer of it on another sheet that I was able to copy over and then recreate the full 4096x4096 texture sheet. Working fine now.

Jafo
December 19th, 2015, 15:26
Could very well have been an OOM error....both PSP and DXTBmp are 32bit....;)

Firebar
December 20th, 2015, 06:19
It's hard to tell with the images, as the quality isn't the best, but I've had issues with DXTBmp where the colour space information that some editors can save both shifts the image to the left by around 10% and also causes the colour matrix to shift (i.e R in the original is now G, G is B and B is R).

falcon409
December 20th, 2015, 06:26
It's hard to tell with the images, as the quality isn't the best, but I've had issues with DXTBmp where the colour space information that some editors can save both shifts the image to the left by around 10% and also causes the color matrix to shift (i.e R in the original is now G, G is B and B is R).
Please excuse me, as my age and lack of patience are showing here. . .while I appreciate your input, why is it even necessary to make a quick remark about image quality? I could have blown a section of those two up to 200% and posted that. . .would that have been better? Image quality is fine thank you and all one needs to glean from the image is that the original does not look like the one loaded in DXTbmp. . .which is obvious regardless of "image quality".

Firebar
December 20th, 2015, 07:36
Forgive me, I wasn't trying to be contentious. What I was getting at was that the image is a scaled down version of what you get on your screen, which reduces the information available. From what I could see there was a section that looked like it was a different texture to the rest, or shifted along somewhat, which is similar to the issue I have had in the past, however without a more detailed look at what is going on it was hard to tell.

falcon409
December 20th, 2015, 08:20
Forgive me, I wasn't trying to be contentious. What I was getting at was that the image is a scaled down version of what you get on your screen, which reduces the information available. From what I could see there was a section that looked like it was a different texture to the rest, or shifted along somewhat, which is similar to the issue I have had in the past, however without a more detailed look at what is going on it was hard to tell.
Well, I won't belabor the point but your saying that what I post as an image is not what everyone else sees when they look at the post?. . .because I can see both images perfectly.
But for you. . . .how's this?

falcon409
December 20th, 2015, 08:25
Could very well have been an OOM error....both PSP and DXTBmp are 32bit....;)
I have gotten those before with PSP. Not often, but you're correct in that they can ruin your day if you haven't saved prior to that. I did try to copy one section from one layered texture to another and got a warning that there was not enough memory to complete the process. I don't remember if I was working on this texture or not, but that could very well have been what caused this.

Firebar
December 20th, 2015, 08:50
But for you. . . .how's this?

Perfeck :P Looks like it's been compressed and tiled somehow doesn't it.