PDA

View Full Version : Lodestar VC 01-04 repaint in fsx?

bpfowler
December 17th, 2015, 18:08
Hi All,
I tried to change the color in the vc01-04.bmp fileset, and used dxtbmp to save the images as dxt1 with no alpha.
The result inthe fsx sim was a shiny mirror-like texture; I am stumped. :O|

Any tips how to work correctly to change the vc panel colors?

thx
brady

Milton Shupe
December 17th, 2015, 18:20
Hi All,
I tried to change the color in the vc01-04.bmp fileset, and used dxtbmp to save the images as dxt1 with no alpha.
The result inthe fsx sim was a shiny mirror-like texture; I am stumped. :O|

Any tips how to work correctly to change the vc panel colors?

thx
brady

Save any panel texture as 24-bit.

bpfowler
December 17th, 2015, 18:40
Thank you Sir! Will comply.

Tom Clayton
December 18th, 2015, 15:25
If I'm not sadly mistaken (Milton can correct me if I am), VC textures respond like exterior textures when in the Sim. DXT1 only has two options for alpha - on or off. In your case, it sounds like the alpha came out all black and that's why your VC came out mirror-shiny. As Milton mentioned, the 2D panel files need to be pure 24-bit.

Milton Shupe
December 18th, 2015, 15:40
If I'm not sadly mistaken (Milton can correct me if I am), VC textures respond like exterior textures when in the Sim. DXT1 only has two options for alpha - on or off. In your case, it sounds like the alpha came out all black and that's why your VC came out mirror-shiny. As Milton mentioned, the 2D panel files need to be pure 24-bit.

True Tom, except he was referring to the VC panel textures that reside in the panel folder. They must be 24-bit (can be 8-bit in FS9).

nigel richards
December 18th, 2015, 21:34
For the benefit of those following the texture tutorials;

As Milton rightly says; panel textures must be 24 bit.

For those not quite familiar with the meaning of bitmap file terms; a 24 bit file consists of only 3 channels;

8 bit red
8 bit green
8 bit blue

A 32 bit file has the same 3 channels as above,

PLUS a fourth additional channel;

8 bit Alpha