PDA

View Full Version : Repainting the Flight Replica Super Cub_Ultra

falcon409
December 9th, 2015, 04:04
I don't do repaints on native FSX aircraft, but I have a specific livery I want that hasn't been done and so I'm pressing on in an attempt to get it done. The problem I have run into with the paint kit is that when I go to convert the progress to a dds file I get a message saying "alpha is all zero, formats with alpha will appear black in preview". . .and indeed when I save it and view it in FSX it is black. I downloaded two alpha's off the FR website but I have no experience with any other layered paint kit giving me such a message. I would normally apply the alpha in DXTbmp, but with this one the saved dds file is black when I go into DXTbmp. . . .very confused. . .any help would be appreciated.

jankees
December 9th, 2015, 04:46
sorry, I don't have that model, but if you save first as a bmp, and then open that in dxtbmp, add the alpha and save as dds?

DaveB
December 9th, 2015, 05:43
That would be my take too. Is it defaulting to 32bit when you try and save? This would show the alpha is embedded but you should still be able to add your own.
Atb
DaveB:)

Jafo
December 9th, 2015, 05:58
Are you converting to DDS in something other than DXTBmp?
I never use anything other than it, doing all the graphics/layers in Paintshop - psp format saving to BMP ...adding it and the alpha into DXTBmp...and saving working versions in extended bitmap [8,8,8] until it's finished.
Only then is it flipped and saved as DDS - using DXTBmp.
For me it is the most logical - not confusing some hidden/included alpha from Photoshop/whatever...;)

Matt Wynn
December 9th, 2015, 06:32
I use the nvidia tools for Photoshop or a batch conversion program to take PSD to DDS.... that way you just work the alpha, drop it in to the alpha channel in PS, save it out (either directly via nvidia tools (Checking the save flipped vertically!) or into folder with batch converter) and jobs a good 'un!

falcon409
December 9th, 2015, 06:46
Just to answer everyone in one post. Yes I use DXTbmp as I mentioned above. I use Paint Shop Pro and normally I would save it directly to the aircraft folder as a dds file using the NVidia Plugin for Paint Shop Pro. I would then add the alpha in DXTbmp to complete the process. There is no option in my PSP NVidia Plugin to do any flipping or adding alphas. Mine looks nothing like what others have shown me in the past that they use and I've tried many plugins. . .this is the only one that this version of PSP will accept (8.0). As I said, I don't do native FSX repaints so I've never come across a paint kit that has an embedded alpha (if that's what this is). I'm sure Mike has a reason for doing it that way so for this one repaint I'm working around it thanks to your helpful hints. Thanks again.

Mach3DS
December 9th, 2015, 08:22
Falcon...it could be that the model itself does not support blending the environment map via an alpha channel. You can check that via modelconverterX to be certain. Buit one way to find out would be to simoly make a test texture. Paint it all a light grey color then set the alpha to dark grey or black...this will give you a good reflection if the model supports it. Are there specular files included in this add on?

mike_cyul
December 9th, 2015, 11:05
I just had a look at the model to check (because it was while ago!), and it does use blending the environment map via an alpha channel. I'm pretty sure I used the same process I use for all the models, as it's user-friendly for repainters. That process is to do the repaint in Photoshop, save as a 32bit (i.e. with alpha layer, which is included in the .psd file), then use something like DXTBump to save as a DX5 (and import a new alpha, if different from that with the texture), then use Aces Image Tool to convert to DDS.

The Ultra .psd has a plain white alpha.

Mike

DaveB
December 9th, 2015, 12:26
Why not save as 32bit (with embedded alpha) then pull it into DXTBmp.. change the alpha (should he wish) then save as dds from within DXTBmp? Seems odd to go another stage and use imagetool when you can do the same from within DXTBmp?
Atb
DaveB:)

Mach3DS
December 9th, 2015, 13:29
Is there a reason that you folks with Photoshop are not saving the PSD's directly as a DDS using the nvidia plugin tool for PS?

mike_cyul
December 9th, 2015, 13:35
Is there a reason that you folks with Photoshop are not saving the PSD's directly as a DDS using the nvidia plugin tool for PS?

There are probably several ways to do things, the way I do it is just because it's what I'm used to and it works reliably. :)

Mike

Jafo
December 9th, 2015, 13:38
I'd still say avoid any plugin. Work solely on 2 flat images independently [2 instances of PSP] one 'norm'...one 'trans' and do ALL 'compiling' converting from within DXTBmp.

One important thing to remember is the DDS format is lossy and conversion in and out repeatedly adds artifacts. All graphic drawing should be lossless...ie. Bitmapped. Only when a paint is complete should it be converted once only to DDS.
Subsequent revisions should only be done from within the original bitmap artwork.
A 4096 res triple 8 bitmap is 65meg .....the same image in DDS DXT5 is 16meg. The latter is definitely 'lossy' [but less mem load within game]...;)

falcon409
December 9th, 2015, 18:12
This is what came out of the discussion. Close enough for government work. Probably not done correctly but I'm the only one who will be using it so it's good. Thanks for the help all!

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/AST_SC-2015-dec-10-002_1.jpg

mike_cyul
December 10th, 2015, 05:03
Looks good!

Mike

Crusader
December 10th, 2015, 05:36
I really like it . Looks very good . I've got this Super Cub , would you consider zipping it up and sharing it here at SOH ? A lot of FR Super Cub fans here and this would be a joy flying around Alaska .:encouragement:

Rich

falcon409
December 10th, 2015, 06:11
I can upload it, just be aware that it was probably not painted correctly as in some parts may not have the correct colors applied and there is no shine to it. I was not able to affect a shine with or without an alpha. For my needs it fills the bill. Not promising others will feel the same.

Jafo
December 10th, 2015, 13:47
I can upload it, just be aware that it was probably not painted correctly as in some parts may not have the correct colors applied and there is no shine to it. I was not able to affect a shine with or without an alpha. For my needs it fills the bill. Not promising others will feel the same.

From the pic it looks like you have a 'shine' but maybe just not a specular shine as well....;)

falcon409
December 10th, 2015, 18:02
Livery has been uploaded!