PDA

View Full Version : DCS grounds FSX

airphotos
December 5th, 2015, 13:36
Hi guys,

Thought I'd share my first attempt at a flightsim video, not wanting to be contentious but this was made with DCS World.

http://youtu.be/cp5jmHfldKA

FSX has been a frustrating & expensive experience for me. Although I still continue to purchase the occasional addons, I can never get rid of stutters in FSX which always appear to be linked with sudden intense hard disk activity & FPS drops from a steady 30 to 4. I have to pause the sim for about 30 seconds and then continue.

This caused me to take another look at DCS, and whilst not a competing or comparable flightsim to FSX, it has restored my faith in flightsims, to deliver a challenge but as 'real' as experience as one could expect sat at a desk. On my ageing rig (i7 920, 8gb RAM, GTX 970) I get FPS between 45 - 60, certainly a lot smoother than FSX.

I hope to upgrade the rig in the new year so I can return to FSX or P3D but for now I hope you enjoy the video....

DaveB
December 5th, 2015, 13:55
Nice and smooth. Like the shading. If you want aging.. wonder how you'd feel with my i52500K/GTX560ti rig??:biggrin-new:

ATB
DaveB:)

jankees
December 5th, 2015, 14:03
nice video! Like those trees in front of the runway...

txnetcop
December 5th, 2015, 19:36
I still use my Q9650 oc'd to 4.2 GHz on air, GTX 285 and Patriot Viper RAM...now that's old! Nice video!!!
Ted

Stefano Zibell
December 6th, 2015, 05:10
Always nice to remind that DCS (which is free) comes with a free P-51 (albeit an unarmed one), if you want a test ride.

So essentially a zero entry fee.

However, the last time I tried 1.5 beta, it was still fundamentally broken, with gargantuan memory leaks, among other issues.

mikewmac
December 6th, 2015, 08:49
Always nice to remind that DCS (which is free) comes with a free P-51 (albeit an unarmed one), if you want a test ride.

So essentially a zero entry fee.

However, the last time I tried 1.5 beta, it was still fundamentally broken, with gargantuan memory leaks, among other issues.
It is currently upgraded to DCS World 1.5.1 Open Beta and there is an upgrade to version 1.5.2 rumored due in the very near future.

In addition there is a DCS World 2.0 Open Alpha version, but it only works with the payware DCS Nevada Test and Training Range map, which is quite spectacular and is also rumored to have an upgrade in the very near future.

Montie
December 6th, 2015, 14:00
I wish we had the Nevada Test and Training Range for FSX/P3D and Tacpak.