PDA

View Full Version : Help! Saitek X-55 Rhino HOTAS - Stick not recognized by PC

ejoiner
December 5th, 2015, 11:57
Hi guys, I use a Saitek X-55 HOTAS set up for FSX. has worked great for the 15 months or so I have owned it. Depending on business travel, I use it almost daily. In any case, the other day for no apparent reason, my PC stopped recognizing the stick. Throttle is still ok. But now the stick is unrecognized and no longer lights up or operates. The Windows 10 device manager says "unknown USB Device (device Descriptor Failed). Further clicking on this item int eh device manager says:

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)"

1. I tried switching USB ports around. Doesnt help. Other devices moved to the USB port used by the joystick work fine, so its not the USB port on the motherboard.

2. I tried updating drivers for both the USB ports and the beta driver for Windows 10 from Saitek (including install procedures to remove the old drivers and disconnect the stick and throttle at the right time.

3. I contacted Saitek support, not only are they SLOOOOOWWWW to respond, their suggestions were basically 1&2 above. No help.

I went out and googled the problem and found a couple of youtube videos saying how to "fix this" by reinstalling latest drivers, etc. Still no help.

Am getting to the point where I just think the damn thing is broken.

Anybody else have this problem? Again, no specific action happened to make it like this that Im aware of.

Eric

Dangerousdave26
December 5th, 2015, 12:08
Sometimes my Saitek Yoke has that same problem.

To fix it I just unplug it from the computer and also disconnect it from the external power source.

Then just plug it back in and it is fine.

I can unplug it from the PC all day long and the problem will not go away until it loses all power.

Not sure if that will help you.

ejoiner
December 5th, 2015, 12:28
Sometimes my Saitek Yoke has that same problem.

To fix it I just unplug it from the computer and also disconnect it from the external power source.

Then just plug it back in and it is fine.

I can unplug it from the PC all day long and the problem will not go away until it loses all power.

Not sure if that will help you.

The X-55 stick doesnt have an external power source. Just the USB connection.

Tako_Kichi
December 5th, 2015, 12:40
Are you running a 64 bit operating system by any chance?

I have the X55 and could not get the Saitek programming software to run under Win 7/64 at all. In the end I had to resort to buying the full version of FSUIPC and programming the controls that way (but you do lose the 3 modes option as it's not supported in FSUIPC).

As the stick is on it's own USB connection could you try connecting it to a different computer to see if it at least lights up?

Blackbird686
December 5th, 2015, 12:55
Erm... I once considered the X-55 and decided to do some research before procurement. Some folks that I talked with had similar problems with the stick, it worked initially then after some time their PC's no longer would recognize that part of the system. NOT SAYING that this is your issue, but I decided to keep my trusty ol' X-52 PRO in service a bit longer. It still works very well.

My guess is that maybe something has come loose inside the stick assembly...

BB686:US-flag:

ejoiner
December 5th, 2015, 16:35
Are you running a 64 bit operating system by any chance?

I have the X55 and could not get the Saitek programming software to run under Win 7/64 at all. In the end I had to resort to buying the full version of FSUIPC and programming the controls that way (but you do lose the 3 modes option as it's not supported in FSUIPC).

As the stick is on it's own USB connection could you try connecting it to a different computer to see if it at least lights up?

I run Win10 64 bit yes. but have had zero trouble up to now. I had win8.1 also 64 bit before and again no trouble. I do also have a full version of FSUIPC as well though. I havent plugged it into a different PC but have plugged it into several different USB ports on my present late model Lenovo X510 Erazor gaming desktop. Including USB 3.0 ports. Same thing. No workie. Very irritating on a saturday night when I would prefer to be "flying".

The saitek software works fine. Its getting the stick to be recognized thats a pain.

Edit: I tried plugging the stick into my Win7 64 bit work laptop.... no joy. I at least wanted the thing to light up.

StormILM
December 5th, 2015, 18:15
My X-55 has been working fine for a year and a half now on w7/x64. My two guesses here is that A, it's a bug related to W10 or B, something in your unit has failed. I'd run this through their support and see what they come up with. Worse case scenario, you'll end up sending the stick back for repair or replacement. My experience with their service has been pretty good on repair/replacement even after the warranty period was up (they charged very little to repair/re-condition the unit). Some of my friends have had them send them a brand new unit for very cheap.

lownslo
December 5th, 2015, 18:58
This from a thread over at Avsim for a X-52 but the symptoms seem very similar. See his (peculiar) solution in post #12: http://www.avsim.com/topic/478176-saitek-x52-and-windows-10/

Good luck,

Greg

ejoiner
December 6th, 2015, 16:24
This from a thread over at Avsim for a X-52 but the symptoms seem very similar. See his (peculiar) solution in post #12: http://www.avsim.com/topic/478176-saitek-x52-and-windows-10/

Good luck,

Greg

Thanks for the reference. None of it works. I've had it. Unless I get some sort of replacement deal from Saitek, I am going to spend the money and get a thrustmaster set. My last Thrusty set lasted YEARS. Costs more, but the quality is undeniable.

Anneke
December 6th, 2015, 23:30
Have you checked your power settings in Win10. I know of instances where USB peripherals would disconnect because of the power scheme chosen.
Go to settings, search for Power options, advances settings, USB settings, USB selective suspend settings (setting by default enabled)

IanHenry
December 6th, 2015, 23:43
Hi,
I had a problem with my X-55 because FSUIPC didn't recognise it. I found the solution somewhere on the FUSIPC forum. I can't find the post by Pete Dowson, but luckily I did save the text for future reference:

" Sometimes the installation program for a joystick does not fill in all of the Registry entries, with one entry important for the way FSUIPC works omitted. This is the Windows joystick ID number, a value from 0 to 15.

This seems to be more prevalent on Windows 8 and 10, but wherever it occurs the following might help:

Download JoyIDs here http://airgroup51.ne...hp?topic=2435.0

Install the program then run it. You should see your connected joystick(s).

Double click on the problem one (should highlight green) and click on a different Id# to move it there. This will fix the entry in the Registry. You can move it back again if you wish. It won't affect anything else.

Pete"

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ian

ejoiner
December 7th, 2015, 05:19
Hi,
I had a problem with my X-55 because FSUIPC didn't recognise it. I found the solution somewhere on the FUSIPC forum. I can't find the post by Pete Dowson, but luckily I did save the text for future reference:

" Sometimes the installation program for a joystick does not fill in all of the Registry entries, with one entry important for the way FSUIPC works omitted. This is the Windows joystick ID number, a value from 0 to 15.

This seems to be more prevalent on Windows 8 and 10, but wherever it occurs the following might help:

Download JoyIDs here http://airgroup51.ne...hp?topic=2435.0

Install the program then run it. You should see your connected joystick(s).

Double click on the problem one (should highlight green) and click on a different Id# to move it there. This will fix the entry in the Registry. You can move it back again if you wish. It won't affect anything else.

Pete"

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ian

Hi Ian, the link doesnt work... ?

IanHenry
December 7th, 2015, 05:44
I've found the SimFlight Forums article here:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/79999-fixing-joystick-connections-not-seen-by-fsuipc/

I've tested the link on that and it seems to work ok.

Here's the link to download the tool:

http://airgroup51.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=3kqup18ogqkc155upmocpp1d26&action=dlattach;topic=2435.0;attach=2966

Regards,
Ian

JimmyRFR
December 7th, 2015, 08:31
Sorry to hear of your troubles Eric - Ironically enough, I had the exact same thing happen to me with my X-55, less than three weeks ago. The joystick quit working with a device not recognized, regardless of which computer (or operating system) I plug it into.

I was initially quite pleased with my X-55, since it seemed to offer decent quality for a fair bit less cost than the Warthog. However, in hindsight, I should of just went for the Warthog, since that's what I'm considering now. The only thing holding me back is trying to decide if I want to save money by re-using the X-55 throttle. It's not a light decision, since with the exchange rate for me, the Warthog is very, very expensive.

I may open up the X-55 and take a look first to see if it's fixable.

Regardless, between this, and some of my other Saitek products wearing out far quicker than expected, I will could never recommend the majority of the Saitek line to anyone.

Wayland
December 7th, 2015, 09:10
I have two 15 year old Saitek 3dGold USB controllers that I use for gaming, and I have 1 Cyborg V.1 stick that I bought in 2009. The difference in quality and workmanship is obviousl as soon as you pick them up. The 15 year old sticks must weigh at least a pound more than the newer stick. They feel smooth and solid in the hand, and they don't scoot around even when manouvering violently. It seems that like everyone else, Saitek has sold out to the "Turn 'em out cheaper and they will buy more" crowd. Since I very seldom fly anything later than about 1955, I don't need all the bells, whistles, buzzers, strobes and flasing lazers of the newer sticks, and I think I wll continu to use my "Obsolete" gear until something decent comes along.

IanHenry
December 7th, 2015, 09:42
Interesting points, but I prefer the X-55 over the Warthog. I have both, but the Warthog is in my loft. I've had the Warthog for maybe 3 years but never really "bonded" with it, so a couple of months ago I bought the X-55.
Yes the Warthog is a more substantial piece of kit, considerably better built but I found the weight to be a drawback and never enjoyed using it, in fact I was gradually starting to lose interest in flight simming but since I bought the X-55 my intrest has been re-awoken.
I know my opinion goes against the grain of other people's view's on the Warthog, I suppose it's just each to their own.

Ian

cortomalteseit
December 7th, 2015, 10:31
I have similar problems with my X52 and Win10 too.
It seems that the new Saitek/Madcatz drivers are not good for everyone. :banghead:

ejoiner
December 7th, 2015, 10:56
Sorry to hear of your troubles Eric - Ironically enough, I had the exact same thing happen to me with my X-55, less than three weeks ago. The joystick quit working with a device not recognized, regardless of which computer (or operating system) I plug it into.

I was initially quite pleased with my X-55, since it seemed to offer decent quality for a fair bit less cost than the Warthog. However, in hindsight, I should of just went for the Warthog, since that's what I'm considering now. The only thing holding me back is trying to decide if I want to save money by re-using the X-55 throttle. It's not a light decision, since with the exchange rate for me, the Warthog is very, very expensive.

I may open up the X-55 and take a look first to see if it's fixable.

Regardless, between this, and some of my other Saitek products wearing out far quicker than expected, I will could never recommend the majority of the Saitek line to anyone.

Saitek I think is going to warranty replace this X-55 stick as I am convinced its the stick itself thats broken. None of the kind suggestions put forward here have worked, nor have the suggestions from Saitek themselves. So, I figure the damn thing is busted.

JimmyRFR
December 7th, 2015, 10:56
Interesting points, but I prefer the X-55 over the Warthog. I have both, but the Warthog is in my loft. I've had the Warthog for maybe 3 years but never really "bonded" with it, so a couple of months ago I bought the X-55.
Yes the Warthog is a more substantial piece of kit, considerably better built but I found the weight to be a drawback and never enjoyed using it, in fact I was gradually starting to lose interest in flight simming but since I bought the X-55 my intrest has been re-awoken.
I know my opinion goes against the grain of other people's view's on the Warthog, I suppose it's just each to their own.

Ian

I had no issues with the X-55 as a joystick, but I do require my joysticks to actually work. Considering the price paid, I'm rather disappointed in it's short life span.

The ability to remove all or most of the spring tension was excellent, and I found it great for flying helicopters.

My solution for the short term however was to pick up a Thustmaster t16000m. It's very reasonably priced for a stick equipped with Hall Effect sensors, and I wanted something ambidextrous for flying GA. Works well, and I plan on shedding it's plastic case and installing it in a custom bolt-down box. And turning the silly buttons on the base into toggle switches.

Alan_A
December 7th, 2015, 11:40
A few years ago I had a Logitech G940 die in similar fashion. In my case, both stick and throttle shut down, no lights, so very likely a hardware failure. I moved on. Currently a happy Warthog user, but agree that the stick is way too stiff. There are a variety of mods available, both DIY and commercial. I'm currently waiting on a delivery of one of these extensions (http://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com/) (yes, you can make your own, but I'm not handy). There are also a number of ways to tweak or replace the springs. Google "Thrustmaster Warthog spring mod" for a variety of solutions. Am looking forward to a modded version with the same heft and good centering but less resistance and more "play."

paiken
December 7th, 2015, 14:25
I have similar problems with my X52 and Win10 too.
It seems that the new Saitek/Madcatz drivers are not good for everyone. :banghead:

I ran into this issue with my brand new Pro Flight Yoke system. I submitted a ticket to Madcatz, and they recommended updating the BIOS on my system. Unfortunately, my aging Dell XPS 8300 is no longer supported by Dell, and they say my system is not Windows X compatible, although the Flight Yoke is the only issue I have. Oddly enough, before the November update, Windows X recognized the Saitek drivers. The workaround mentioned earlier in the post (using the Device Manager and installing generic USB drivers for the Yoke) works...Not sure if the Saitek profile editor will continue to work, as I have not tried using it yet. Between Microsoft and Madcatz my blood pressure has risen a bit. I passed on my issue to my son (he works for Microsoft), but since he's not on the windows team there's not much input he can offer.