PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim Crusader goes native FSX

Pages : [1] 2

hschuit
November 21st, 2015, 09:05
I just uploaded my 2nd FSX native conversion of an old FS2004 plane to the Warbirds Library. I hope this helps to fill the gap till Sylvain's "Cruze" becomes available or if someday a payware developer gets inspired.

This update features:
- 2 native FSX models: US Navy F-8J / Aeronavale F-8E(FN)
- New FSX glass textures and generic specular maps for the exterior
- Updated VC radar scope
- Removable pilot
- Missiles can be loaded by entering their FSX Payload weight
- When the afterburner kicks in: BOOM!
- New fuel dump switch and wing vents vapour trails fx
- Extra Kneepad checklist explaining the refueling probe animation etc.

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/11/07/Alpha_Cruze_12F.jpg

Victory103
November 21st, 2015, 09:08
Outstanding job on this, guess we are "no longer out of fighters"!

Montie
November 21st, 2015, 09:14
Thank you Henk:applause:

Cees Donker
November 21st, 2015, 09:29
Thanks for the work Henk!

:applause: :applause:

There is a very nice conversion mentioned at the Royal French Navy site too. The link goes to Simviation. Has a very different VC.

http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=FSX+Vought+F-8E+Crusader+Package&categoryId=

Cees

ian elliot
November 21st, 2015, 09:35
A great week for Cold war metal, first your B57 rework, then L'iguane's upgrade of Ito's F86D/J, and now your Crusader.

thanks ian :ernaehrung004:

expat
November 21st, 2015, 10:07
Awesome-ticity!!!!!!

fsafranek
November 21st, 2015, 10:38
Thanks for the work Henk!

:applause: :applause:

There is a very nice conversion mentioned at the Royal French Navy site too. The link goes to Simviation. Has a very different VC.

http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=FSX+Vought+F-8E+Crusader+Package&categoryId=

Cees
That link is to a model uploaded back in 2008. I think there was a thread here at some point about updating the cockpit a year or two ago.
:ernaehrung004:

hschuit
November 21st, 2015, 12:59
That link is to a model uploaded back in 2008. I think there was a thread here at some point about updating the cockpit a year or two ago.

Sounds like the one created by Roland Laborie. I tried it in FSX but although repacked for FSX it is just a basic port over, not native FSX. One of the issues with that is the canopy glass and the complete lack of any reflectivity/specularity of the exterior in FSX.

PRB
November 21st, 2015, 13:43
Thank Henk. Always liked this one.

Tony G
November 21st, 2015, 15:04
Looking forward to this, thank you!

is there any information available to make this compatible with vLSO?

fsafranek
November 21st, 2015, 16:38
Looking forward to this, thank you!

is there any information available to make this compatible with vLSO?
What sort of information is needed? I've been messing with vLSO lately with existing, already made compatible, aircraft and it's pretty cool.

Nice work on this Henk. Especially the adding/removing stores based on payload entry. We've certainly come a long ways since FS9.

Cirrus N210MS
November 21st, 2015, 17:52
one of my FAV Military Jets Thank you so much !:wavey:

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/12291266_10207001805357201_8240468904943657560_o.j pg

glh
November 21st, 2015, 18:41
I'll second Cirrus ......

tommieboy
November 21st, 2015, 19:15
I just uploaded my 2nd FSX native conversion of an old FS2004 plane to the Warbirds Library. I hope this helps to fill the gap till Sylvain's "Cruze" becomes available or if someday a payware developer gets inspired.

This update features:
- 2 native FSX models: US Navy F-8J / Aeronavale F-8E(FN)
- New FSX glass textures and generic specular maps for the exterior
- Updated VC radar scope
- Removable pilot
- Missiles can be loaded by entering their FSX Payload weight
- When the afterburner kicks in: BOOM!
- New fuel dump switch and wing vents vapour trails fx
- Extra Kneepad checklist explaining the refueling probe animation etc.

Last of the Gunfighters....
Wasn't expecting anything for Christmas this year, then this pops up....:santahat:

Thanks so much, as the last time I bothered to do any carrier trapping was with this aircraft in FS2004. Wow, you even got the refueling probe animation to work in FSX Acceleration too!

Tommy

Emile
November 21st, 2015, 23:43
GREAT

lTried also in P3D V3 but the model is refused

gribouil
November 22nd, 2015, 00:04
Good morning everyone,
found a sound pack for the Crusader but haven't tried it yet, here is the link:

http://www.fs2000.org/2011/04/17/fsx-chance-vought-f-8e-crusader-sound/
Have a good flight!!! :wavey:

dhazelgrove
November 22nd, 2015, 00:12

Dave

DaveWG
November 22nd, 2015, 00:14
Tried also in P3D V3 but the model is refused

Works fine for me in P3dV3, although the AB effect needs modding. (usual P3d issue) :encouragement:

http://daveg.cbfsim.org/screens/f8.jpg

TARPSBird
November 22nd, 2015, 01:23
Henk, you have done a fine job on the F-8. I like the afterburner noise. :encouragement: In the late 70's/early 80's the RF-8G Crusaders of my squadron (VFP-63) were the only F-8's remaining in the fleet. With the RA-5C Vigilantes being retired we ended up putting photo detachments back aboard the larger CV's which hadn't had Crusaders aboard in years. Flight deck personnel (especially newbies) always got a scare, first time one of the RF-8's went to burner on the cat and all that fuel lit off with a BANG! :biggrin-new:

JensOle
November 22nd, 2015, 01:26
Thanks for the work with bringing the old model into the neq simulators! This model was among my favorites in fs9 and it is great to see it again

Dave, any chance with making the Viggen available (I seem to remember you mentioned you have run it through the converter)? That model has been, just like the F-8, greatly missed in Fsx/p3d!

hschuit
November 22nd, 2015, 01:42
Henk, you have done a fine job on the F-8. I like the afterburner noise. :encouragement: In the late 70's/early 80's the RF-8G Crusaders of my squadron (VFP-63) were the only F-8's remaining in the fleet. With the RA-5C Vigilantes being retired we ended up putting photo detachments back aboard the larger CV's which hadn't had Crusaders aboard in years. Flight deck personnel (especially newbies) always got a scare, first time one of the RF-8's went to burner on the cat and all that fuel lit off with a BANG! :biggrin-new:

Glad you are happy with the Sader. I love the old P&W J-57, I had my scary moment as a young lad at the Dutch Air Force annual airshow of 1978. The Danish Air Force did bring one of their last TF-100F's to the show, it was the 1st time I saw a Super Sabre. After the show ended, the Danish wanted to go back home and when the pilot lit the burner I thought the jet was going to explode in front of me. Still remember the older aircraft spotters laughing when they saw my face.

DaveWG
November 22nd, 2015, 01:59
Dave, any chance with making the Viggen available (I seem to remember you mentioned you have run it through the converter)? That model has been, just like the F-8, greatly missed in Fsx/p3d!

I've still got a bit of tweaking to do as there are some things I'm not happy with. Also, I'd like to wait until we get an official "OK" from Alphasim/Virtavia regarding these type of conversions. I believe Frank has written to Phil, so I'll see what the outcome is.

Cees Donker
November 22nd, 2015, 02:03
I put these in the CLP routine immediately! Great flyer! Thanks again Henk!

:applause:

Cees

expat
November 22nd, 2015, 02:10
Agree with Cees, just trapped her on the Big E and Oriskany and it is all very silky smooth. Couple of nits - one click of the button gives you full flaps rather than incremental settings. Also struggling with finding the texture causing this when adding some of my favorite repaints. They all fit fine except for the view from the VC - think it is a glass texture somewhere but have not tracked it down. Have added the texture.cfg that maps to the main texture folder but that did not solve it.

http://s18.postimg.org/50qgxucm1/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4b7olhc2d/full/)

expat
November 22nd, 2015, 02:14
Tracked it down. Had to remove/disable this texture: F8_CanopyINTERIOR_t.bmp

findus
November 22nd, 2015, 02:43
Thx a lot Henk, it´s always a great pleasure to fly this iconic fighter in FSX.

hschuit
November 22nd, 2015, 02:51
Agree with Cees, just trapped her on the Big E and Oriskany and it is all very silky smooth. Couple of nits - one click of the button gives you full flaps rather than incremental settings. Also struggling with finding the texture causing this when adding some of my favorite repaints. They all fit fine except for the view from the VC - think it is a glass texture somewhere but have not tracked it down. Have added the texture.cfg that maps to the main texture folder but that did not solve it.

1. If I understand the NATOPS manual correctly, the F-8 did not use incremental flaps settings. For take off and landing, the pilot pulled the wing incidence lever which tilts the wing, droops the ailerons and leading edges in one go. In the sim this is assigned to the flaps key.

2. The native FSX VC model uses a different glass texture: F8_CanopyINTERIOR_t.dds. So, if you want to import FS9 model repaints, 1st you have to remove the old F8_CanopyINTERIOR_t.bmp glass texture from it. If you don't, the old file supersedes the new F8_CanopyINTERIOR_t.dds file and you get what you showed in your screenshot. EDIT: Good to see you sorted it out while I was typing this.

Cirrus N210MS
November 22nd, 2015, 05:02
using it in P3D aswell looks amazing :jump:

expat
November 22nd, 2015, 06:32
Is the radar in the VC supposed to work? I have a black screen and don't see any click spots to operate it. 2d panel has the original AS radar functioning.

expat
November 22nd, 2015, 06:35
1. If I understand the NATOPS manual correctly, the F-8 did not use incremental flaps settings. For take off and landing, the pilot pulled the wing incidence lever which tilts the wing, droops the ailerons and leading edges in one go. In the sim this is assigned to the flaps key.

2. The native FSX VC model uses a different glass texture: F8_CanopyINTERIOR_t.dds. So, if you want to import FS9 model repaints, 1st you have to remove the old F8_CanopyINTERIOR_t.bmp glass texture from it. If you don't, the old file supersedes the new F8_CanopyINTERIOR_t.dds file and you get what you showed in your screenshot. EDIT: Good to see you sorted it out while I was typing this.

Thanks Henk for the explanation and great work on this aircraft!

gray eagle
November 22nd, 2015, 07:01
I found a freeware F-100 (also used the J57) and sounds close to the J57 engine I remember when I was stationed with F8's (VF-24).
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/5204/fsx-f-100-super-sabre/get/

JensOle
November 22nd, 2015, 07:43
Back in the FS9 days I did a makeshift RF-8A out of the F-8E. Without any missile rails the biggest difference is of course the cannon ports and lack of camera ports. As long as the textures are remade without any canon port details and adding the camera ports in the texture it is possible to at least get something looking like a RF-8. I'll see if I can dig out the RF repaint.

Bone
November 22nd, 2015, 07:45
Another nice job, thanks ;)

expat
November 22nd, 2015, 07:55
Does the radar in the VC work for others?

hschuit
November 22nd, 2015, 08:37
Is the radar in the VC supposed to work? I have a black screen and don't see any click spots to operate it. 2d panel has the original AS radar functioning.

Does the radar in the VC work for others?

The radar is inop, what I did was change the early model round scope modelparts to the E/J model square scope and updated the texture. Of course you could try add a working radar gauge, there are several around like the Dietmar Loleit ARS4 radar.

fsafranek
November 22nd, 2015, 10:59

Just looked at the NATOPS with Wings of Gold and you are 100% correct Henk. It's all or none. Which would make for some interesting transition. Alphasim (Jay or Carl back in the day) incorrectly have 5 flap/slat steps.

mal998
November 22nd, 2015, 12:10
I have several manuals for the F-8 series. I am going to have a look at re-working the FDE and will correct some of the more glaring errors. Henk did a terrific job on converting the Crusader. I still have quite a few paints from the FS9 version but haven't been able to get them working on this version.

gray eagle
November 22nd, 2015, 12:53
Recommend a nice AB (Burner) This project (FSX convert) was done before a few years ago but the textures were still bmps ; I believe it was Tufun that made a burner for
another chap that put one of these conversions together I think it was Don Bodenstedt.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=42364411

http://i67.tinypic.com/2i826g.jpg

PRB
November 22nd, 2015, 14:29

My first cruise was 1982, which was the first deployment for our air wing (CAG-11) without the RF-8s. I heard all about the "BANG" many times but didn't get to experience it until we went on a det to an Air Force base, Holloman, I think it was, where they were testing QF-100s, which, apparently, had the same sort of single stage AB the F-8 had. Working on the flight line we could hear the QF-100s running some distance away. Every now and then came a very "bass" "thump", which we could almost feel more than hear. It was Super Sabre's AB popping off. That was cool!

ejoiner
November 22nd, 2015, 15:19

http://s18.postimg.org/50qgxucm1/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4b7olhc2d/full/)

Im having this same problem with the glass in the VC. Makes the plane unflyable. Great work otherwise. I have FSX

Bone
November 22nd, 2015, 16:33
Im having this same problem with the glass in the VC. Makes the plane unflyable. Great work otherwise. I have FSX

If you use one of your fave FS9 Crusader paints, you have to update the VC glass textures. Henk explains in section 2 of the following:

expat
November 22nd, 2015, 22:40
FYI - Don B.'s "XE-169" panel works in this native FSX model - I just need to change slightly some of the gauges' coordinates. 2D panel gauges fit fine.

http://s11.postimg.org/j7d41k98j/xe169.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/nghu3qchr/full/)

hschuit
November 22nd, 2015, 23:31
FYI - Don B.'s "XE-169" panel works in this native FSX model - I just need to change slightly some of the gauges' coordinates. 2D panel gauges fit fine.

Nice :applause:, good to see you took the time to test Don Bodenstedt's panel on the converted VC model, with some tweaking in FS Panel Studio it will look great.

TARPSBird
November 23rd, 2015, 01:29
Henk, a texture question. I have the AlphaSim F-8 in my FS9 install. Am I correct that I can copy a texture folder for, say, a VF-111 paint job over from the FS9 jet to your FSX plane and it will work OK with the exception of having to remove the canopy glass .bmp file as already mentioned?

expat
November 23rd, 2015, 02:34
with some tweaking in FS Panel Studio it will look great.

As I don't have FS PS (am a cheapskate!) I will need to do it the old fashioned way, trial and error but not that many gauges need moving!

Am I correct that I can copy a texture folder for, say, a VF-111 paint job over from the FS9 jet to your FSX plane and it will work OK with the exception of having to remove the canopy glass .bmp file as already mentioned?

Have moved FS9 paints that way and it works.

hschuit
November 23rd, 2015, 03:03
Henk, a texture question. I have the AlphaSim F-8 in my FS9 install. Am I correct that I can copy a texture folder for, say, a VF-111 paint job over from the FS9 jet to your FSX plane and it will work OK with the exception of having to remove the canopy glass .bmp file as already mentioned?

Sort of yes. Just make sure you remove these files before you import the repaint:
- F8_CanopyINTERIOR_t.bmp (VC canopy glass)
- F8_VC_EarlyF8_Page_12.bmp (VC E/J model square radar scope - as a matter of fact I would advice not to use any of the old FS9 VC textures)
- F8_Canopy_t.bmp (exterior canopy glass)

A good way to judge which FS9 textures you need to port over from your repaint is to compare the DDS filenames in the new FSX repaint folders (e.g. "texture.VF24") and then only pick their FS9 equivalents. I did put all the common textures in the "texture" folder, best is to leave that folder alone and not over write those textures unless you know what you are doing.
Another complication with this model is that the original designer (Carl Edwards) used texture file names which are specific for one particular model. This means that if you have a repaint which was made for one of the US Marines models, it will not work on the FSX conversion because I only did the US Navy F-8J and the French F-8E(FN). There is a workaround: Rename the repaint textures, e.g. F8J_DeathAngel_Body_Left_B -> F8-J_Body_Left_B.

DaveWG
November 23rd, 2015, 03:37
In addition to the above, don't forget to copy the texture.cfg from one of the FSX paints into any other repaint folders you may add.

rsgunner
November 23rd, 2015, 06:41
I did several textures for the Alphasim F-8 when it was released.

I don't know if they will work in the Native FSX file

If you are interested do a search at flightsim.com for " Crusader" without the quotes scroll thru the files until you find the ones done by Russel R. Smith.

They might be worth while.

I lost all of my efforts do to a HD failure awhile back so I can't rework them.
IIRC there was a simple bat program that when run converted the bmp files to dds files.

Currently all the textures are black.

Now if I could figure out the panel changes I would be set.

Russ

DaveQ
November 23rd, 2015, 08:41
A great big 'thank you' for this upgrade Henk. Flies beautifully and looks brilliant:encouragement:.

However, getting extra paints on is more difficult because there are four other models and really only ones for the F-8J or French bird will work properly. If you have time and patience to do the other models, Henk, that would be brilliant. But I do understand why you've stuck with just the two, the file/folder architecture is very complex, nay a nightmare:banghead:!

DaveQ

MDIvey
November 23rd, 2015, 10:35
Henk... thanks for this.

Matt

tommieboy
November 23rd, 2015, 11:19
Recommend a nice AB (Burner) This project (FSX convert) was done before a few years ago but the textures were still bmps ; I believe it was Tufun that made a burner for
another chap that put one of these conversions together I think it was Don Bodenstedt.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=42364411

I get "No Search Results" with that link.....

Tommy

expat
November 23rd, 2015, 14:11
OK, Gunslinger Fans, here is a zip that has Don B.'s great panel mods WARNING - LARGE FILE. I have re-jigged the gauges to fit the VC.

Also, my air.cfg - NB: this is for ONLY taking the [lights] and [smoke] entries. These work together to get the AB effect to show properly. Deviate from that and you are at your own risk . .

This new model is VERY NICE - thanks Henk!!!

http://s13.postimg.org/hd7h1kcdz/lcra.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/a9zlly6yb/full/)
image hosting free (http://postimage.org/)

expat
November 23rd, 2015, 14:15
Just wonderful this new model. Oodles of happiness ..

http://s21.postimg.org/viaph4l7r/f8u.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/fwtdx699f/full/)
uploading pictures (http://postimage.org/)

gray eagle
November 23rd, 2015, 14:24
I get "No Search Results" with that link.....

Tommy

You have to log on to download it.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=42393459

gray eagle
November 23rd, 2015, 14:31
What in this allows for a burner effect or does it?

[lights]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing, 6=taxi light, 7=recognition light, 8=wing light, 9=logo light, 10=Cabin Light
light.0 = 4, 21.55, 0.00, 0.85, fx_vclight //Cockpit/Panel, Bright VC
light.1 = 2, 21.50, 0.00, 0.80, fx_vclightDR //Strobe, Dim Reddish VC
light.2 = 6, -22.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_HeatShimmerDCB //Taxi Lights
light.3 = 9, -17.55, 0.00, 0.15, fx_ALPHA_F8_TF_AB //Logo Lights
light.4 = 7, -0.01, 0.01,-0.01, fx_F8_fueldump_Dual //Reco Lights
//light.5 = 6, -15.00, 0.00, 0.10, fx_ALPHA_CF105_Exh1
light.6 = 5, 2.00,-3.75, -1.65, fx_shockwave_landing_light_small_old
light.7 = 5, 2.00, 3.75, -1.65, fx_shockwave_landing_light_small_old
light.8 = 2, 9.55, 0.00, -2.90, fx_shockwave_beaconb
light.9 = 2, 7.70, 0.00, 3.85, fx_shockwave_beaconh ;F-8E/J only
light.10 =10, -11.46,-17.55, 1.33, fx_F8_fueldump
light.11 =10, -11.46, 17.55, 1.33, fx_F8_fueldump

[smokesystem]
smoke.0 = -22, 0, 0, fx_F8_engsmoke ;FSX

tommieboy
November 23rd, 2015, 14:51
You have to log on to download it.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=42393459

Oh, OK....

Tommy

simulloyd
November 23rd, 2015, 16:24
My first cruise was 1982, which was the first deployment for our air wing (CAG-11) without the RF-8s. I heard all about the "BANG" many times but didn't get to experience it until we went on a det to an Air Force base, Holloman, I think it was, where they were testing QF-100s, which, apparently, had the same sort of single stage AB the F-8 had. Working on the flight line we could hear the QF-100s running some distance away. Every now and then came a very "bass" "thump", which we could almost feel more than hear. It was Super Sabre's AB popping off. That was cool!

That sound reminds me of the F-106s that used to fly out of Fresno 144 TFW California Air National Guard. Except they had J75 engines. You could hear them coming then "WHAM!"

lazarus
November 23rd, 2015, 21:21
2015 has turned into a fine vintage for freeware. Lovely as rollus' F-8 is, she's off to virtual Litchfield Park.
As to single-zone afterburner kablamo, nothing, but nothing beats the -88 in the one-oh-wonder for grunnie-boxing racket...
except a balbo of woo-hoo-doos lighting up. They never went in at exactly the same time, giving a wonderful and distinctive Bap-BAAM!
Two sections scrambling or going around sounded like a fire strike landing. Ah, the bad old days. Around the Bag or Moosenuts these days,
you wouldn't know there is an airforce-of course, effectively, there isn't.
Open invite to any despot needing an effective nuclear demonstration target unlikely to garner any return fire...
Canada, that's your X-ring! No defenses worth mentioning, no power projection capability, and a few megatons could only improve it.:untroubled:

expat
November 23rd, 2015, 22:45
What in this allows for a burner effect or does it?

The one's in red.

[lights]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing, 6=taxi light, 7=recognition light, 8=wing light, 9=logo light, 10=Cabin Light
light.0 = 4, 21.55, 0.00, 0.85, fx_vclight //Cockpit/Panel, Bright VC
light.1 = 2, 21.50, 0.00, 0.80, fx_vclightDR //Strobe, Dim Reddish VC
light.2 = 6, -22.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_HeatShimmerDCB //Taxi Lights
light.3 = 9, -17.55, 0.00, 0.15, fx_ALPHA_F8_TF_AB //Logo Lights
light.4 = 7, -0.01, 0.01,-0.01, fx_F8_fueldump_Dual //Reco Lights
//light.5 = 6, -15.00, 0.00, 0.10, fx_ALPHA_CF105_Exh1
light.6 = 5, 2.00,-3.75, -1.65, fx_shockwave_landing_light_small_old
light.7 = 5, 2.00, 3.75, -1.65, fx_shockwave_landing_light_small_old
light.8 = 2, 9.55, 0.00, -2.90, fx_shockwave_beaconb
light.9 = 2, 7.70, 0.00, 3.85, fx_shockwave_beaconh ;F-8E/J only
light.10 =10, -11.46,-17.55, 1.33, fx_F8_fueldump
light.11 =10, -11.46, 17.55, 1.33, fx_F8_fueldump

[smokesystem]
smoke.0 = -22, 0, 0, fx_F8_engsmoke ;FSX

bob407
November 24th, 2015, 01:48
Repaint by Don Bodenstedt. Thank you Don for this super fine paint work. And thank you Henk for bringing the ext model up to native FSX. Very much appreciated. You guys are awesome!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31999&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32000&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32001&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32002&stc=1

expat
November 24th, 2015, 01:59
Thank you! One of my favorites I now won't have to change (Carl has a lot to answer for . .).

TARPSBird
November 24th, 2015, 02:30
Thanks everybody for the "how-to" info on importing my repaints from FS9, and all the great screen shots. I have enough to keep me busy for a few days. :encouragement:

Wings of Gold
November 24th, 2015, 08:08
Expat,

Please ID the site where you got the VF-191 texture. I can not find it.

Bill

dhazelgrove
November 24th, 2015, 09:05
I wonder if Jafo's mods (here in the library) will work with this model?

Dave

hschuit
November 24th, 2015, 10:57
I wonder if Jafo's mods (here in the library) will work with this model?

Dave

I am afraid that will not work straight out of the box, afaik Jafo did the early model round scope VC, I converted the VC for the E/J model square scope. I would go for the Don Bodenstedt pit.

expat
November 24th, 2015, 13:52
Just loving this new model. Thank you Henk!

http://s14.postimg.org/cj3vgl0kx/vf33.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/cvv9mriul/full/)

expat
November 24th, 2015, 13:56
Expat,

Please ID the site where you got the VF-191 texture. I can not find it.

I can't really do proper repaints. This one is home grown and happy to post it for those who like it.

shaggy
November 25th, 2015, 02:37
Is it possible to give the same treatment to the Alphasim Viggen so it can be used in fsx?

Looks great!

noddy
November 25th, 2015, 05:32
How do you get the old paints to work in the new model?

Dumb question sorry.

expat
November 25th, 2015, 06:56
You will need to i) determine which model the textures you want are mapped to and ii) rename each of them to the F-8J model in the air.cfg.

noddy
November 25th, 2015, 07:08
finding that out, some of the old paints refer to an E model.

Wings of Gold
November 25th, 2015, 15:30
Bob407 (or anyone else with an answer),

I am converting my original F-8E textures to use the new F-8J model. Per instructions in this thread I have relabeled all my F-8E textures to read "F-8J_...". My VMF-212 now looks just like Bob407's screen-shots - EXCEPT one section of the spline that is still black (untextured). This section of the spline is just aft of the rear wing raise section and just forward of the panel line that starts/stops the "Marines" on the fuselage. I think I have some texture in the (common) "texture" folder that still needs relabeling - but have been unable to identify it. Any help finding it would be most appreciated!

Bill

bob407
November 25th, 2015, 16:40
Bob407 (or anyone else with an answer),

I am converting my original F-8E textures to use the new F-8J model. Per instructions in this thread I have relabeled all my F-8E textures to read "F-8J_...". My VMF-212 now looks just like Bob407's screen-shots - EXCEPT one section of the spline that is still black (untextured). This section of the spline is just aft of the rear wing raise section and just forward of the panel line that starts/stops the "Marines" on the fuselage. I think I have some texture in the (common) "texture" folder that still needs relabeling - but have been unable to identify it. Any help finding it would be most appreciated!

Bill

Greetings Bill. Put this file in your VMF-212 folder. Hope it works out for you. https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqvq94t3ulpds5m/F8-J_RedWhiteChecks.bmp?dl=0

Wings of Gold
November 25th, 2015, 17:39
Hi Bob407, Absolutely PERFECT! Many, many thanks. Bill

dvslats
November 25th, 2015, 18:03
For what it's worth, I have the texture calls from the Fs9.mdl for the F-8J.
They were needed for a CFS2 conversion of this bird.

If needed a list of the French F-8E(FN) can be made also.

TextureList( Exterior )

F8-J_REDDOME.BMP
F8-J_UNDERFIN.BMP
F8_AIM9_WINGS.BMP
F8_AIRTUBE.BMP
F8_BDISCEND.BMP
F8_BDISCSIDE.BMP
F8_BURNERCANINSIDE.BMP
F8_CHININTAKE.BMP
F8_COCKPIT_CANPOYBLACKFRAME.BMP
F8_COLOUR_RED.BMP
F8_COLOUR_YELLOW.BMP
F8_CREW_BOOT.BMP
F8_CREW_GLOVE.BMP
F8_CREW_GREENCLOTH.BMP
F8_FRONTGEARWELL_SIDE.BMP
F8_FRONTGEARWELL_TOP.BMP
F8_GEAR_REARDOOR_INSIDETHIN.BMP
F8_GEAR_REARDOOR_OUTSIDETHIN.BMP
F8_INTAKEINSIDE.BMP
F8_NAVLIGHT_GREEN.BMP
F8_NAVLIGHT_WHITE.BMP
F8_NOSEGEAR_HUB.BMP
F8_NOSEGEAR_MAINSTRUT.BMP
F8_NOSEGEAR_SIDEPIN.BMP
F8_NOSEGEAR_SIDESTRUT.BMP
F8_PILOT_GSUIT.BMP
F8_PILOT_HELMET.BMP
F8_PILOTBODYMAIN.BMP
F8_REARGEAR_MAINSTRUT.BMP
F8_REARGEAR_MAINSTRUT2.BMP
F8_REARGEARHUB.BMP
F8_REARGEARWELL_PAGE01.BMP
F8_REFULEPROBE_BRACKET.BMP
F8_TAILHOOKSTRIPED.BMP
F8_WINGRECESS.BMP
F8_WINGROOTS.BMP
F8-E_COLOUR_GRAY.BMP
F8_EJECTIONSEAT_MAIN.BMP
F8-J_ELEVATOR_TOPLEFT.BMP
F8-J_ELEVATOR_TOPRIGHT.BMP
F8-J_LEFTWINGTOP.BMP
F8-J_REDWHITECHECKS.BMP
F8-J_RIGHTWINGTOP.BMP
F8-J_RUDDERLEFT.BMP
F8-J_RUDDERRIGHT.BMP
F8-J_TAILMAINRIGHT.BMP
F8_GUNEXHAUSTBLACK.BMP
F8-J_BODY_LEFT_A.BMP
F8-J_BODY_LEFT_B.BMP
F8-J_BODY_LEFT_C.BMP
F8-J_BODY_LEFT_D.BMP
F8-J_BODY_RIGHT_A.BMP
F8-J_BODY_RIGHT_B.BMP
F8-J_BODY_RIGHT_C.BMP
F8-J_BODY_RIGHT_D.BMP
F8-J_ELEVATOR_BOTTOMLEFT.BMP
F8-J_ELEVATOR_BOTTOMRIGHT.BMP
F8-J_LEFTWINGBOTTOM.BMP
F8-J_RIGHTWINGBOTTOM.BMP
F8-J_TAILMAIN.BMP
F8_COLOUR_CREAM.BMP
F8_AIM9_MAIN.BMP
F8_COCKPITTEXTURE_01.BMP
F8_TIRERUBBERFRONT.BMP
F8-E_NOSECONEBLACK.BMP
F8_BURNERCAN.BMP
F8_BURNERCANRIGHTSIDE.BMP
F8_CHROME.BMP
F8_NAVLIGHT_RED.BMP
F8-E_NOSECONEMIRRORBALL.BMP
F8_CANOPY_T.BMP
F8_CANOPY_T.BMP
F8_CANOPY_D.BMP
F8_CANOPY_T.BMP

TextureList( VC

F8-E_COCKPIT_SIDES.BMP
F8_AOAINDICATOR.BMP
F8_ARMOURINNERFRAME.BMP
F8_ARMOURRIVETS.BMP
F8_AUAMETRE.BMP
F8_BLACKRIVET.BMP
F8_BOOTSCUFF.BMP
F8_CANOPYFRAMESIDE.BMP
F8_CANOPYINSIDEWALL.BMP
F8_CHROME.BMP
F8_COCKPITTRIM.BMP
F8_COCKPITTRIM2.BMP
F8_COCPITTUBTOP.BMP
F8_COLOUR_RED.BMP
F8_COMPASSCOCKPIT.BMP
F8_REARGEARWELL_PAGE01.BMP
F8_REFULEPROBE_BRACKET.BMP
F8_RUDDERPEDAL.BMP
F8_SEATMATERIAL.BMP
F8_STICKSTICK.BMP
F8_VC_EARLYF8_PAGE_11.BMP
F9_COCKPITSTICKLEATHER.BMP
F8_VC_EARLYF8_PAGE_01.BMP
F8_VC_EARLYF8_PAGE_02.BMP
F8_VC_EARLYF8_PAGE_03.BMP
F8_VC_EARLYF8_PAGE_06.BMP
F8_VC_EARLYF8_PAGE_09.BMP
F8_VC_EARLYF8_PAGE_10.BMP
F8-E_COCKPIT_FLOOR.BMP
F8_COLOUR_GRAY.BMP
F8_EJECTIONSEAT_MAIN.BMP
F8_COLOUR_COCKPITBLACK.BMP
F8_GUNEXHAUSTBLACK.BMP
F8_BODY_LEFT_A.BMP
F8_BODY_LEFT_B.BMP
F8_PISTOLGRIP.BMP
F8_VC_EARLYF8_PAGE_05.BMP
F8_VC_EARLYF8_PAGE_07.BMP
F8_VC_EARLYF8_PAGE_08.BMP
F8_VC_EARLYF8_PAGE_12.BMP
F8_VC_EARLYF8_PAGE_04.BMP
F8_COCKPITTEXTURE_01.BMP
F8_HATSWITCH.BMP
F8_SCREW.BMP
F8_SEATHANDEL.BMP
F8_BUTTON.BMP
F8_SEATSCREW.BMP
F8_COCKPITMIRROR_T.BMP
F8_COCKPITMIRROR_T.BMP
F8_COCKPITMIRROR_D.BMP
F8_COCKPITMIRROR_T.BMP
VCRAINMOVING0000.bmp
VCRAINMOVING0001.bmp
VCRAINMOVING0002.bmp
VCRAINMOVING0003.bmp
VCRAINMOVING0004.bmp
VCRAINMOVING0005.bmp
VCRAINMOVING0006.bmp
VCRAINMOVING0007.bmp
VCRAINMOVING0008.bmp
VCRAINMOVING0009.bmp
VCRAINMOVING0010.bmp
VCRAINMOVING0011.bmp
VCRAINMOVING0012.bmp
VCRAINMOVING0013.bmp
VCRAINMOVING0014.bmp
VCRAINMOVING0015.bmp
VCRAINSTOPPED0000.bmp
VCRAINSTOPPED0001.bmp
VCRAINSTOPPED0002.bmp
VCRAINSTOPPED0003.bmp
VCRAINSTOPPED0004.bmp
VCRAINSTOPPED0005.bmp
VCRAINSTOPPED0006.bmp
VCRAINSTOPPED0007.bmp
VCRAINSTOPPED0008.bmp
VCRAINSTOPPED0009.bmp
VCRAINSTOPPED0010.bmp
VCRAINSTOPPED0011.bmp
VCRAINSTOPPED0012.bmp
VCRAINSTOPPED0013.bmp
VCRAINSTOPPED0014.bmp
VCRAINSTOPPED0015.bmp
F8_CANOPYINTERIOR_T.BMP
F8_CANOPYINTERIOR_T.BMP
F8_CANOPYINTERIOR_D.BMP
F8_CANOPYINTERIOR_T.BMP
$VPANEL3
$VPANEL1
$VPANEL2

Cheers, Dave

ejoiner
November 25th, 2015, 18:06
OK, Gunslinger Fans, here is a zip that has Don B.'s great panel mods WARNING - LARGE FILE. I have re-jigged the gauges to fit the VC.

Also, my air.cfg - NB: this is for ONLY taking the [lights] and [smoke] entries. These work together to get the AB effect to show properly. Deviate from that and you are at your own risk . .

http://s13.postimg.org/hd7h1kcdz/lcra.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/a9zlly6yb/full/)

Hi all. I put in the expat.zip with the new panel and effects. very very nice!

One problem. I get the lovely Boom from the AB kicking in, but it seems the afterburner is ALWAYS lit. I have to close the throttle completely to turn off the reheat. Whats going on with that?

I dont have that problem with any other jet I fly. So dont "think" its calibration on my saitek X-55 HOTAS set up.

fsafranek
November 25th, 2015, 20:17
Hi all. I put in the expat.zip with the new panel and effects. very very nice!

One problem. I get the lovely Boom from the AB kicking in, but it seems the afterburner is ALWAYS lit. I have to close the throttle completely to turn off the reheat. Whats going on with that?

I dont have that problem with any other jet I fly. So dont "think" its calibration on my saitek X-55 HOTAS set up.
From browsing the xml code logic in "Reheat_Auto_LOGO.xml" the AB effect(s) should kick in/out at 90% throttle. Just went for a flight and it works for me and the flame goes away as I come below 90%. The internal glow changes from a yellow to an orange down to about 70%-80% then goes black. Smoke kicks in along the way. Seems to work fine.

hschuit
November 26th, 2015, 03:59
From browsing the xml code logic in "Reheat_Auto_LOGO.xml" the AB effect(s) should kick in/out at 90% throttle. Just went for a flight and it works for me and the flame goes away as I come below 90%. The internal glow changes from a yellow to an orange down to about 70%-80% then goes black. Smoke kicks in along the way. Seems to work fine.

Be aware if you want to use other panel mods, you will loose the effects controller code that I included in the pack. The old Reheat_Auto_LOGO.xml code is not needed in FSX, instead make sure you use these panel.cfg lines from my pack - [Vcockpit01]:

gauge42=F-8_xml!Engine_FX, 10,10,20,20
gauge43=F-8_xml!Systems_init, 10,10,20,20
//gauge44=Shockwave_lights!SW Lights_gear, 1,1,1,1
;-------Gauge Carrier Operations v41 Nav1----------------------------
gauge50=RFN_CarrierGauge!TACAN_Navigation, 0,0,100,112,Nav1
gauge51=RFN_CarrierGauge!CustomCatapult, 0,0,20,20
gauge52=RFN_CarrierGauge!Approach_Ctrl, 0,0,20,20,12.8
gauge53=DSD_Sound_Gauge!Sound, 0,0,10,10

BTW: I will also do 1 or 2 short nose early models with the round radar scope VC. As it turns out it is not too much extra work, I can use most of the stuff I already did for the late models.

gray eagle
November 26th, 2015, 05:29
Just so that I understand and keep up with it all, this attached F8 Expat.zip goes with Don's F8 or the native one or what?
Will Don B's liveries work with the new naive version? Don's textures were bmp's and the new one are dds files.

expat
November 26th, 2015, 05:48
That zip just has Don's panel in it. It is also here in the Library and he put it together for use in the FS9 ported-over F-8. I tried it with Henk's new native FSX model and it 80% worked but I then needed to re-assign some of the gauge locations. The panel.cfg in the zip has these new assignments. As mentioned, I also added my air.cfg for people wishing to use the AB settings in the lights section.

expat
November 26th, 2015, 05:51
Be aware if you want to use other panel mods, you will loose the effects controller code that I included in the pack. The old Reheat_Auto_LOGO.xml code is not needed in FSX, instead make sure you use these panel.cfg lines from my pack - [Vcockpit01]:

Thanks for this!

gray eagle
November 26th, 2015, 06:06
That zip just has Don's panel in it. It is also here in the Library and he put it together for use in the FS9 ported-over F-8. I tried it with Henk's new native FSX model and it 80% worked but I then needed to re-assign some of the gauge locations. The panel.cfg in the zip has these new assignments. As mentioned, I also added my air.cfg for people wishing to use the AB settings in the lights section.

So, your zip is just enhancements/modiications for Don's F-8 and not the new FSX Native right?

hschuit
November 26th, 2015, 07:28
Short nose WIP (F-8C, VF-84 'Jolly Rogers', early 1960's)

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/11/27/Alpha_F-8C-1.jpg

expat
November 26th, 2015, 09:06
So, your zip is just enhancements/modiications for Don's F-8 and not the new FSX Native right?

Er, no, as stated before I did this for Hschuit's new native model. It is merely Don's panel with some VC gauges moved. The 2D panel is as is. I have a some other mods and gauges in there you may wish to pick&mix.

expat
November 26th, 2015, 09:06
Short nose WIP (F-8C, VF-84 'Jolly Rogers', early 1960's)

Looking great!

gray eagle
November 26th, 2015, 09:14
Er, no, as stated before I did this for Hschuit's new native model. It is merely Don's panel with some VC gauges moved. The 2D panel is as is. I have a some other mods and gauges in there you may wish to pick&mix.

Ah so! https://cdn0.iconfinder.com/data/icons/essen/32/lightbulb.png It's for Hschuit's F8 Native. At first, it wasn't apparent to me when I first saw your zip file what it was for. Wonder if Don's liveries will work in the F8 Native? I know it would take some changing things (entries) in the CFG file.

What you said above would of been nice in a read me for dummies like me. :)

Sorry to be a little slow on picking this all up.
Thanks.

gaucho_59
November 27th, 2015, 17:04
Did a little rework on this one...
Will be available as usual... Will add rearview mirrors!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/smilies/wavey.gif
G.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5730/23063316440_3104f2094c_o.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/609/23250812942_258a9062ac_o.jpg

expat
November 28th, 2015, 01:09
I have never been a purist like some who insist on only flying FSX native models. Probably 80% of what I fly are portovers. However, this native model flies much better, smooth and fluid on finals for traps. It is great. Now I need to relocate some more gauges in the VC - they seem to have moved again, maybe my too hard landings? Also, need a switch for that noisy fuel pump. Who needs Phantoms anyway??!!!:applause:

http://s16.postimg.org/yxer520hx/cv34.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/6kj9elerl/full/)
photo uploading (http://postimage.org/)

hschuit
November 28th, 2015, 02:11
Version 2 is now up at the Warbirds Library, the most significant changes are:

- 2 extra short nose early models with round radar scope VC: US Navy F-8C + USMC F-8K
- Updated burner can textures to make it look more like bare metal
- Some minor fixes on the late E/J models

CavOk
November 28th, 2015, 03:02
I'm enjoying this in Prepar3dv3 but there is no boom from the a/b. Any ideas?
Never the less lovely work and thanks

hschuit
November 28th, 2015, 03:11
I'm enjoying this in Prepar3dv3 but there is no boom from the a/b. Any ideas?
Never the less lovely work and thanks

Works for me in P3Dv2.5. The burner FX requires a stock FSX WAV file: Exp_Gen02.wav. Maybe this file is missing from your P3D \Sound folder ?

Firekitten
November 28th, 2015, 03:45
It does work in P3D3... I have it installed.

expat
November 28th, 2015, 04:39
Thanks for the v.2! Having trouble with the AB sound effect - it kicks in way too early at about 8% throttle. Would like it at about 93%. It also repeats going off every 2 seconds sounding like a 40mm cannon! Is there a tweak in the effect.cfg I need to change?

expat
November 28th, 2015, 04:48
Scratch that - it works fine with your panel (F-8C). I am using my modded Don B panel, so I need to troubleshoot some more . .

harrybasset
November 28th, 2015, 05:26
Henk Thank you for version 2 it all works for me. I like that one flap selection drops the flaps, leading edge flaps and tilts the wing. I really like your enhancements of Alphasim classics. The Alphasim freeware Voodoos would benefit from your techniques, you don't really need much sleep do you? But seriously thanks for all you have done on the Crusader.:applause:

tommieboy
November 28th, 2015, 05:55

Looking forward to these new panels!

Tommy

hschuit
November 28th, 2015, 06:13
Henk Thank you for version 2 it all works for me. I like that one flap selection drops the flaps, leading edge flaps and tilts the wing. I really like your enhancements of Alphasim classics. The Alphasim freeware Voodoos would benefit from your techniques, you don't really need much sleep do you? But seriously thanks for all you have done on the Crusader.:applause:

Thanks, here is a Voodoo WIP shot (DaveQ and falcon409 gave me permission to use their amazing paints):

CavOk
November 28th, 2015, 06:32
Works for me in P3Dv2.5. The burner FX requires a stock FSX WAV file: Exp_Gen02.wav. Maybe this file is missing from your P3D \Sound folder ?

I've just checked and the sound file is there but not being activated in the sim?

tommieboy
November 28th, 2015, 07:01
Version 2 is now up at the Warbirds Library, the most significant changes are:

- 2 extra short nose early models with round radar scope VC: US Navy F-8C + USMC F-8K
- Updated burner can textures to make it look more like bare metal
- Some minor fixes on the late E/J models

Thanks again for all the effort that you have put into this FSX conversion. It is very much appreciated. I remembering purchasing the original FS2004 package from AlphaSim way back when. I have the same big grin on my face as I did back then! Runs just as smooth on my old fart computer too.

Tommy

harrybasset
November 28th, 2015, 07:19
Thanks, here is a Voodoo WIP shot (DaveQ and falcon409 gave me permission to use their amazing paints):

Henk at the age of 70 I believe in Santa Claus again.

DaveQ
November 28th, 2015, 08:10
Many thanks for all your efforts Henk on this and the One-Oh-Wonder:very_drunk:!! Looking forward to that. It's a wonder Phil hasn't taken you on to update the lot...!

Best regards

DaveQ

simulloyd
November 28th, 2015, 08:12

:wavey:
G.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5730/23063316440_3104f2094c_o.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/609/23250812942_258a9062ac_o.jpg

These panels look great. Are they available anywhere?

dvj
November 28th, 2015, 08:40
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/11/29/Untitled-1.jpg

menef
November 28th, 2015, 12:20
A big THANK YOU for this project !!!
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32122&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32123&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32124&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32125&stc=1

gaucho_59
November 28th, 2015, 15:50
I only do the artwork... you can place the bezels as you wish... with your own config. file
Just PM your request and give me an email address...

Here is the final product, with mirrors

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/747/23014431189_5bedfdbe86_o.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5741/23274040342_1a7f9fd84e_o.jpg

G.

MDIvey
November 29th, 2015, 03:00
Thanks for update Henk

Matt

gray eagle
November 29th, 2015, 09:08
Got a few questions concerning this bird

1. When this plane is dialed in and there you are at you favorite airport, it is already running.
Would like to modify it so that it is not running yet you can start it with CTRL + E.

2. The AB Boom effect.

I know this may be a sore issue with expat and hschuit however, I would like to know if and how
the volume on the AB BOOM effect be reduced to about half the volume = a thump of sorts.

Not asking to scrub that effect entirely, just reduce the level of that sound.

hschuit
November 29th, 2015, 09:57
Got a few questions concerning this bird

1. When this plane is dialed in and there you are at you favorite airport, it is already running.
Would like to modify it so that it is not running yet you can start it with CTRL + E.

2. The AB Boom effect.

I know this may be a sore issue with expat and hschuit however, I would like to know if and how
the volume on the AB BOOM effect be reduced to about half the volume = a thump of sorts.

Not asking to scrub that effect entirely, just reduce the level of that sound.

1. This depends on your default saved flight, apparently yours is with engine(s) running. If you launch your default flight, then shutdown the engine(s), then saved it, next time your default flight should launch with cold engine(s).

2. The afterburner FX file (fx_ALPHA_F8_AB.fx) calls a stock FSX WAV file from the FSX .\Sound folder:
[Sound]
FileName=Exp_Gen02.wav
MinAttenuationDistance=700.00
Looping=FALSE

I suppose you could replace Exp_Gen02.wav with another less noisy WAV, there are plenty to choose from in the FSX .\Sound folder. Or, you could make a renamed copy of the WAV file and reduce the volume with a freeware WAV editor like Audacity.

gray eagle
November 29th, 2015, 11:01
Here is VF-13 converted to FSX. I will be converting others. If interested in a copy of this let me know.

http://s10.postimg.org/vqpkx6pop/VF13.jpg

http://s27.postimg.org/j3iyupuer/VF_13_1.jpg

gray eagle
November 29th, 2015, 11:04
Thank you sir for some insight on the AB sound effect. That gives me some ideas to try out. :wavey:
Question, Is the file editable (fx_ALPHA_F8_AB.FX)?

1. This depends on your default saved flight, apparently yours is with engine(s) running. If you launch your default flight, then shutdown the engine(s), then saved it, next time your default flight should launch with cold engine(s).

2. The afterburner FX file (fx_ALPHA_F8_AB.fx) calls a stock FSX WAV file from the FSX .\Sound folder:
[Sound]
FileName=Exp_Gen02.wav
Looping=FALSE

I suppose you could replace Exp_Gen02.wav with another less noisy WAV, there are plenty to choose from in the FSX .\Sound folder. Or, you could make a renamed copy of the WAV file and reduce the volume with a freeware WAV editor like Audacity.

menef
November 29th, 2015, 11:17
Here is VF-13 converted to FSX. I will be converting others. If interested in a copy of this let me know.

Nice! I' m interested, also ( if possible ) in USMC paints.:very_drunk:

hschuit
November 29th, 2015, 11:38
Thank you sir for some insight on the AB sound effect. That gives me some ideas to try out. :wavey:
Question, Is the file editable (fx_ALPHA_F8_AB.FX)?

All *.fx files are editable with Notepad (just like the *.cfg files).

gray eagle
November 29th, 2015, 12:21
A softer AB Thump vs Boom.

Thanks Hschuit for all your help and a great job you did reviving the Mig Master for FSX. Truly, a job well done. :)
Okay, I think I have altered the volume and intensity of the BOOM to suit my tastes. I did find and edit the AB sound like was previously mentioned ^.
I found an F100 taking off - uses same J57 engine below this video a description of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caEAHGJY5qs

A very LOUD departure from this classic F-100. This was part of the Thunder Over MI Airshow. Check out the 'cannon' like sound of the afterburners kicking in about 8 seconds in.

I had this video to use and IMHO, a better example to go by in this regard. I toned it down a little bit to suit my tastes and from what I remember what F-8's sounded like back in '65/67
when they were launching from the Hancock and Bon Homme Richard in the Tonkin Gulf especially when in a AB takeoff situation.

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/8749vf714ddoaog/Exp_Gen02_ab.wav

or here

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00607644008190397821

If anyone is interested in a modified BOOM sound, I am attaching it here. Just place it in the FSX sound folder. It has been renamed so as to not change the original name of the stock sound.

edit the fx_ALPHA_F8_AB.FX as per below:

[Library Effect]
Lifetime=5
Display Name=F-8 AB Effects based on Alpha CF105/F104
Version=2.00

//Sound=5
//Sound Param=4
[Sound]
FileName=Exp_Gen02_ab.wav >>>>> I made a backup of the original, replace this sound and saved the edit with new name and placed it in the FSX Sound folder.
Looping=FALSE

[Properties]
Cockpit=1
VirtualCockpit=1
Spot=1
Tower=1
Map=1

EDIT: I am in pursuit of a better F-8 sound ( I found one and will test).

hschuit
November 29th, 2015, 23:31
Gray Eagle, thanks for the research and the new WAV file, sounds better than the one I used :applause:

georges-andre
November 29th, 2015, 23:44
A good airplane, thanks
For the sound, did you think that the corsair's sound of razbam is near the real sound or not...For the mirage of rollus, the sound is alias to the F18 perhaps is better than the learjet sound, doesn't it?

Montie
November 29th, 2015, 23:53
I am using this soundset: http://www.fs2000.org/2011/04/17/fsx-chance-vought-f-8e-crusader-sound/

gray eagle
November 30th, 2015, 04:49
Gray Eagle, thanks for the research and the new WAV file, sounds better than the one I used :applause:

Glad you like it. :adoration:

gray eagle
November 30th, 2015, 04:54

For some crazy reason this texture went black on me, I did a subsequent conversion of VMFA 333 and I test flew it in FSX, I noticed that a number on the right rudder was backwards and
went looking for the file to fix it after I found it I sent it to the editor, didn't fix it just closed the file. Now both the first and second textures are black. :dizzy:

gray eagle
November 30th, 2015, 07:40
For some crazy reason this texture went black on me, I did a subsequent conversion of VMFA 333 and I test flew it in FSX, I noticed that a number on the right rudder was backwards and
went looking for the file to fix it after I found it I sent it to the editor, didn't fix it just closed the file. Now both the first and second textures are black. :dizzy:

Edit:Changed the model= to another model and it is now visible and not black.

gray eagle
November 30th, 2015, 09:27
VF-11 Converted to work with the new native F-8 V2.

http://s12.postimg.org/lfqttoxot/VF11.jpg

Montie
November 30th, 2015, 09:50
What do I need to do in order to convert textures for the FSX native version?

gray eagle
November 30th, 2015, 10:23
Another one converted for the new Alphasim F-8 Native V2

http://s18.postimg.org/9jsk7pp61/VF_62.jpg

gray eagle
November 30th, 2015, 11:08
What do I need to do in order to convert textures for the FSX native version?

You need a program called DXTBMP

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

Montie
November 30th, 2015, 11:14
I have Photoshop, should I convert the textures to DDS?

gray eagle
November 30th, 2015, 11:34
I have Photoshop, should I convert the textures to DDS?

If you find a one of Don Bodenstedt F-8'a then you can just use DXTBMP to convert the files from bmp to dds DXT1.
If you want to paint one from scratch then that is another story.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/23241/fsx-alphasim-virtavia-f-8-crusader/

glh
November 30th, 2015, 11:45
Another one converted for the new Alphasim F-8 Native V2

------- image deleted -------

Those are some really nice paints. How about uploading your repaints to the library ??

And any that you ...... want to do ...... for the Voodoo !!

gray eagle
November 30th, 2015, 12:33
Those are some really nice paints. How about uploading your repaints to the library ??

And any that you ...... want to do ...... for the Voodoo !!

I didn't make the paints, I only converted what was on Don's original content of textures.

If you want any of 'em send me a pm.

bob407
November 30th, 2015, 15:01
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32238&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32239&stc=1

Repaint by Dave Quincey adapted for native FSX. 32244

gray eagle
November 30th, 2015, 16:47
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32238&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32239&stc=1

Link to paint: https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/23248/fsx-us-marines-vought-f-8e-crusader-of-vmf-235/

Curious as to what your aircraft.cfg folder is set up for this paint.

I installed this one and it's black

here is what my aircraft.cfg is set up for this paint:

[fltsim.8]
title=ALPHA F-8 Crusader VMF-235
sim=ALPHA_F-8v2
model=F8-J_Marines
panel=
sound=
texture=VMF-235
KB_checklists=f8_check
kb_reference=
ui_manufacturer=Vought
ui_type=F-8 Crusader
ui_variation=F-8E VMF-235 Da Nang, 1967
description=© ALPHA Simulations 2005\n\nIn 1953 the F8U-1 Crusader won the Navy competition for the new carrier-based day fighter. It flew supersonic on its maiden flight in 1955. A Crusader set a national

speed record in 1956 by flying over 1000 mph, for which it won the Thompson Trophy. In 1957 Major John Glenn flew an F8U non-stop from Los Angeles to new York, setting a transcontinental speed record. In

1958 Vought received the first Certificate of merit ever awarded an aircraft manufacturer by the Navy Bureau of Aeronautics for the design, development and production of a US Navy aircraft. In the Vietnam

conflict the Crusader had the highest kill ratio over communist jets of any Navy aircraft. The F8U series enjoyed a long service life which was extended in the 1960s by remanufacturing and updating existing

aircraft. Crusaders flew in Navy reserve units until 1987, and the French navy flew its Crusaders well into the 1990’s.
atc_id_color=0x00000000
atc_heavy=0
atc_id_font=Verdana,-11,1,600,0
atc_id_color=0x00000000
atc_heavy=0

I have VMF 333 and have been trying to convert it to FSX but it too is black.

bob407
November 30th, 2015, 17:19
Gray Eagle

Download file in my edited post. That should do it.

gray eagle
December 1st, 2015, 05:45
Gray Eagle

Download file in my edited post. That should do it.

The model=F8_Marines didn't work for me; black plane. I tried all model= possibilities and still black.
Guess I may try the author to iron it out. Glad you got it working for you.

bob407
December 1st, 2015, 07:01
The model=F8_Marines didn't work for me; black plane. I tried all model= possibilities and still black.
Guess I may try the author to iron it out. Glad you got it working for you.

I may have posted the acft cfg incorrectly earlier. Just in case I did, here is the cfg that definitely works for me:

[fltsim.xx] <-- your next entry
sim=ALPHA_F-8v2
model=F8-J
panel=
sound=
texture=VMF-235
KB_checklists=f8_check
kb_reference=
ui_manufacturer=Vought
ui_type=F-8 Crusader
atc_id_color=0x00000000
atc_heavy=0
atc_id_color=0x00000000
atc_heavy=0
description=

gray eagle
December 1st, 2015, 07:28
I may have posted the acft cfg incorrectly earlier. Just in case I did, here is the cfg that definitely works for me:

[fltsim.xx] <-- your next entry
sim=ALPHA_F-8v2
model=F8-J
panel=
sound=
texture=VMF-235
KB_checklists=f8_check
kb_reference=
ui_manufacturer=Vought
ui_type=F-8 Crusader
atc_id_color=0x00000000
atc_heavy=0
atc_id_color=0x00000000
atc_heavy=0
description=

I tried that one too and she is still black. I sent hschuit a PM to see if he can sort this one out. I looked at all the texture files and they are all DDS format.
It's gotta be a model issue that causes it to be black on my end albeit, I've tried just about all the models avail. Nice looking paint, if I could get it to show
up for me. :dizzy:

expat
December 1st, 2015, 07:51
Hmm, that paint came over ok for me, perhaps with one or two textures missing I had to track down. I am not fussed about having bmp's mixed with dds either. Usually a black model means an air.cfg error somewhere or formatting of the texture names. I have had partial black textures on swapping some paints over that after some trial and error - and swearing - for some reason got sorted out. Blame it on ol' Ninjamouse . .

gray eagle
December 1st, 2015, 08:01
Here is my aircraft.cfg entry: I checked the numbering sequence and it is okay. The thumbnail shows okay in FSX. When I select that Thumb then I get a black preview.

[fltsim.8]
sim=ALPHA_F-8v2
model=F8-J
panel=
sound=
texture=VMF-235
KB_checklists=f8_check
kb_reference=
ui_manufacturer=Vought
ui_type=F-8 Crusader
atc_id_color=0x00000000
atc_heavy=0
atc_id_color=0x00000000
atc_heavy=0
description=

gray eagle
December 1st, 2015, 08:21
Heeeers.....Blackie,,, VMF 235. At least pilots helmet has color. Tried if from another source. All the dds files are in DXT5 format. Don't know if that makes any difference.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=181&linkid=16611

http://s28.postimg.org/swv98y73x/blackie.jpg

lazarus
December 1st, 2015, 08:43
Failing all else, have a look at the textures in DXTBMP, they may have gone corrupted. I've had that happen before with DXT5 textures, usually after diddling in editor and saving a DXT5 to DXT5, which scrambles the texture and gives the black-out, though I have also had DXT5 textures go south on their own, no rhyme or reason. Nowadays, I always convert to DXT3-those never glitch, and the HD footprint comes down. A few 200MB texture files, and you're running out of HD space.
Su-ure...a 500gb HD should be enough...:banghead: forgetting parkinson's corollary- any surplus capacity will be immediately taken up!
Also, check syntax, look for an unwanted space in the titles, or extra punctuation. Damned frustrating when these gritches crop up.

delta_lima
December 1st, 2015, 08:46
Thanks Henk for adding the "C".

The problem, GE, looks like you're trying to map a texture to a model it was not designed for. Carl's weird texture/mapping logic means that the paints dont' just pour in like most models do.

The pilot works, because it's mapped to the generic pilot texture file.

So what you need to do is change the "F-8E_DeathAngel_ " to simply "F-8E" - on all the texture file names. Then it'll show up - sort of. I still get a few anomalies, but at least you get most of it sorted.

I'm trying to adapt Dave Q's Marine paints onto the F-8C, but there are issues around how the tail/rudder area looks. Also trying to add one of Don's RF-8 paints, but again, there are mapping issues. Russ's low-vis RF-8 paint works ok, though.

I think the "C" model might be a decent canvas for a couple of smart purpose-made paints of something like this ...

Built from the "ground up" on the small nose C would eliminate all the texture mishmashes, but alas, we're at the mercy of a kind-hearted repainter.

In any event, this is a great project, thanks so much.

dl

gray eagle
December 1st, 2015, 09:26
Got a PM from Hschuit explaining why I was having issues:

Hi, the paint does not work because it needs the DeathAngel model which I did not convert. BUT: The DeathAngel model is similar to the F-8J which is included in the FSX pack, so we can make it work. There are 3 steps needed to fix this paint for FSX:
1. Update the aircraft.cfg entries for FSX, such as changing the FSX model reference that will take this paint in the aircraft.cfg = F8-J.
2. Rename all the F8-J_DeathAngel_* textures to F8-J* as those are used with the F8-J model.
3. Copy a couple of missing F8-J textures over from my texture VF-24 folder.

I tried it for myself and it works now - thanks for the nice repaint btw, you can never go wrong with Dave's paints. Here is the link to the fixed paint:

Here is pic of what I have so far. The landing gears are black. Do I need to borrow certain gear files from another texture to fix that?
I had just finished taking all the files down from DXT5 to DXT3 when I got the email above. BTW, my file conversions didn't work anyway.

http://s30.postimg.org/jnfzmyz0h/235.jpg

hschuit
December 1st, 2015, 09:33
GA, check the content of the texture.cfg file, it tries to call the common textures like the gear from a folder which does not exist in you case.

gray eagle
December 1st, 2015, 09:39
Wow! Magic! :encouragement:

All I did was add a texture.cfg file and pop it into the VMF235 folder and no more black landing gears.... Thanks henk :ernaehrung004:

THink I will back this one up for future reference.

http://s23.postimg.org/io2lhffgr/333_fixed.jpg

gray eagle
December 1st, 2015, 09:43
GA, check the content of the texture.cfg file, it tries to call the common textures like the gear from a folder which does not exist in you case.

You also mention^ 3. Copy a couple of missing F8-J textures over from my texture VF-24 folder.

Which files are copied over from the VF-24 folder. Just so I know in the future.
THanks

gray eagle
December 1st, 2015, 10:18
Here is another conversion for VMF 333

http://s8.postimg.org/p7r1tk2x1/333_1.jpg

Now on the right side note the backwards 7 on the tail rudder. Any painters out there that would like to fix this? PM me the one file replacement (fix) please. Thanks

http://s14.postimg.org/4msb88sb5/333_Right.jpg

Download here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/r0oz9r5gx2zp89s/vmf-333.zip

hschuit
December 1st, 2015, 10:46
You also mention^ 3. Copy a couple of missing F8-J textures over from my texture VF-24 folder.

Which files are copied over from the VF-24 folder. Just so I know in the future.
THanks

GA, if you look inside the texture.VF24 folder you see all the unique textures + thumbnail + texture.cfg needed by model.F8-J. All other textures needed for the model are in the "texture" folder (which has the common, shared by all models textures). By comparing the texture.VF24 folder against the FS9 repaint files you want to carry over you should be able to make most of them work.

bob407
December 1st, 2015, 12:39
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32280&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32281&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32282&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32283&stc=1

Repaint by Dave Quincey adapted to native FSX using the 'F8-J_Marines' model. Thank you again Henk for the conversion. Much joy!

menef
December 1st, 2015, 12:49
[QUOTE=bob407;994167]http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32280&stc=1

[IMG]http:great ! :very_drunk:

DaveQ
December 1st, 2015, 13:25
I don't seem to be able to get the Mk82's to show; Zunis yes, bombs no. Only missiles are shown in the payload and no amount of weight seems to add the bombs. Can someone tell me how to do it please!!

DaveQ

hschuit
December 1st, 2015, 13:29
I don't seem to be able to get the Mk82's to show; Zunis yes, bombs no. Only missiles are shown in the payload and no amount of weight seems to add the bombs. Can someone tell me how to do it please!!
DaveQ

Dave, are you sure you use my aircraft.cfg version? If not, check the [weight_and_balance] section, this should be the correct stations layout:

max_number_of_stations = 3
station_load.0 =180, 22.10, 0.0, 0.59, Pilot
station_load.1 = 0, 3.75, 0.0, 0.00, Missiles +800
station_load.2 = 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.00, Bombs +4400

the 2nd station is used for AIM9's or Zuni's depending on the model. The US Navy/French models do not have bombs.

gray eagle
December 1st, 2015, 13:40
Dave, are you sure you use my aircraft.cfg version? If not, check the [weight_and_balance] section, this should be the correct stations layout:

station_load.1 = 0, 3.75, 0.0, 0.00, Missiles +800
station_load.2 = 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.00, Bombs +4400

the 2nd station is used for AIM9's or Zuni's depending on the model. The US Navy/French models do not have bombs.

First I heard of this, so find a Marine texture in the Aircraft.cfg file

weight_and_balance]
max_gross_weight = 34280
empty_weight = 17836
reference_datum_position = 0.000, 0.000, 0.000
empty_weight_CG_position = 0.000, 0.000, 0.000
empty_weight_pitch_MOI= 89275 ;101971 ;80271
empty_weight_roll_MOI = 22222 ;11691 ;26442
empty_weight_yaw_MOI = 56800 ;33392 ;56810
empty_weight_coupled_MOI = 0.00
CG_forward_limit= 2.0 ;0.00
CG_aft_limit = -2.0 ;1.00
station_load.1 = 0, 3.75, 0.0, 0.00, AIM9/Zuni +800 <<<<< If I want AIM9/Zuni just and a + then a number?
station_load.2 = 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.00, Bombs +4400 >>>>>> Ditto?

hschuit
December 1st, 2015, 22:36
GA, the loadouts are all or nothing, you cannot add/substract single missiles/bombs.

model.F8-E : zero or 4 sidewinders
model.F8-J : zero or 4 sidewinders
model.F8-J_FrenchNavy : zero or 2 Mica's
model.F8-J_Marines : zero or 8 zuni's and/or zero or 8 bombs

I.e, you enter zero in the payload station to hide a weapon, or the weight value as described in the kneepad to show it.

DaveQ
December 2nd, 2015, 07:12
Thanks all - bombs available!

DaveQ

delta_lima
December 2nd, 2015, 07:21
GA, the loadouts are all or nothing, you cannot add/substract single missiles/bombs.

I.e, you enter zero in the payload station to hide a weapon, or the weight value as described in the kneepad to show it.

Hi Henk,

I'm assuming that on the J, that there is no option for "no pylons" - right?

thanks,

dl

expat
December 2nd, 2015, 07:24
Those Death Angels moving mud out of VVDN sure got scruffy!

http://www.mofak.com/Image57.jpg

hschuit
December 2nd, 2015, 07:41
Hi Henk, I'm assuming that on the J, that there is no option for "no pylons" - right?
thanks,
dl

Correct, the pylons modelparts are welded with another animated part of the wing which made it impossible for me to separate them out.

gray eagle
December 2nd, 2015, 08:16

station_load.1 = 0, 3.75, 0.0, 0.00, AIM9/Zuni +800 which one of the numbers on this line would I make changes and what numbers do I use (What does the +800 have to do with anything?
station_load.2 = 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.00, Bombs +4400 > Same here what does the +4400 mean?

So, if I want AIM9/Zunis to show or not show what would the different entries look like?
GE

hschuit
December 2nd, 2015, 08:31
station_load.1 = 0, 3.75, 0.0, 0.00, AIM9/Zuni +800 which one of the numbers on this line would I make changes and what numbers do I use (What does the +800 have to do with anything?
station_load.2 = 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.00, Bombs +4400 > Same here what does the +4400 mean?

So, if I want AIM9/Zunis to show or not show what would the different entries look like?
GE

There are 2 ways to change the loadout.
1) Normally you would go to the FSX Fuel & Payload screen and type in the weight to make an item show. For AIM/Zuni, type 800 (lbs), if you don't want to see them leave the weight at zero. This is how I have set up my files.

2) Make the loadouts sticky by entering the weight value directly into the Aircraft.cfg file. To make the AIM/Zuni sticky, change this line as follows:

station_load.1 = 800, 3.75, 0.0, 0.00, AIM9/Zuni +800

BTW: The text "AIM9/Zuni +800" is just a label which is shown in the FSX Payload screen. I thought it would help people figuring out the correct values to enter :banghead: LOL.

menef
December 2nd, 2015, 12:05
Dreams are inexpensive :biggrin-new:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32326&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32327&stc=1

gray eagle
December 2nd, 2015, 16:35

DaveQ

How did you get the bombs to show. I only got winders. What entries did you make on the VMA-235 bird?

http://s4.postimg.org/blqjbrly5/Payload.jpg

bob407
December 2nd, 2015, 16:52
Gray Eagle

You must enter 4400 in the bombs box.

gray eagle
December 2nd, 2015, 17:12
Gray Eagle

You must enter 4400 in the bombs box.

I did, no bombs. I used henk's converted dds files for that bird.

gray eagle
December 2nd, 2015, 17:24

According to this load out plan, that VMF235 that was fixed by henk is has the F8-J model hence no bomb pylon. I changed the model to F*-J Marines thinking
that would render pylons and bombs, but nope.

gray eagle
December 2nd, 2015, 17:35
http://s22.postimg.org/pn2802h5d/235_with_bombs.jpg

gray eagle
December 2nd, 2015, 17:36

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32283&stc=1

Repaint by Dave Quincey adapted to native FSX using the 'F8-J_Marines' model. Thank you again Henk for the conversion. Much joy!

I changed out the texture version that Henk gave me and used this version VMF-235_F8-J_Marines.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32284&d=1449005896) and was able to get bombs (full load)

Thank you. :)

This is my pic with the full load like others above ^

http://s29.postimg.org/btld74k87/235_with_bombs.jpg

bob407
December 2nd, 2015, 17:49
GE
Lookin good sir. Ready to rock and roll.... :encouragement:

gray eagle
December 3rd, 2015, 15:14
A little bio here http://www.vmf235.com/Aircraft/Pages/F8.html#1

Some actual pictures of VMF-235 loaded with bombs
I noticed that these F8's have a glass dome just forward of the cockpit above the nose cone. Notice the long Daisy cutter nose fuse on the bombs, anti-personnel effect.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/F-8E_VMFAW-235_DaNang_Apr1966.jpg

That is some big nasty Bomb!
http://mofak.com/images/F-8_Dmz_area.jpg

Note the Zunis
http://modelingmadness.com/others/decals/koschss72086photo.jpg

delta_lima
December 3rd, 2015, 15:56
A little bio here http://www.vmf235.com/Aircraft/Pages/F8.html#1

I noticed that these F8's have a glass dome just forward of the cockpit above the nose cone.

http://modelingmadness.com/others/decals/koschss72086photo.jpg

IRST seeker, on F8U-2NE (F-8E) models with larger nose due to larger AN/APQ-94 radar. For most of their tenure with the F-8, the E was the model they flew the most. That's why DaveQ did that paint for that model. But there are photos of the smaller-nosed E in '235 paint, so I assume they had a brief earlier stint in the C or D, smaller nose. So the recent screens show a J, all bombed up, so you get the "impression" of a bombed up E, but that's not the model you see in the photos. The IRST, the Bullpup guidance package "hump" over the wing, the larger nose - all point to an E, not the J.

That's the way DaveQ first did the paint, for the E, since that was the most historically accurate to the late 60s Vietnam period - I'm not aware they flew either small nosed C or J in Vietnam combat, to my knowledge, at least.

dl

gray eagle
December 3rd, 2015, 17:07
VFP-62 texture was part of Dons conversions but after looking at the thumbnail, I see camera with 20MM gun ports. That never happened in real life. Guns and cameras.
SO, I guess I'll not do that one. I'd have to photoshop the gun ports out.

http://www.vfp62.com/IMAGES_8/Johnson/climbing_RF8G_new.jpg

delta_lima
December 3rd, 2015, 22:55
It's more than just the cannon and cameras not ever being together - the RF-8A (no ventral strakes) and RF-8G (with ventral strakes) were completely different airframes. Many differences, including

All were small nosed, no IRST
Fuselage was deeper and square in cross section in the forward half
Refueling probe under a flush, not faired blister door
Camera pod under chin intake

And so the list goes.

Most of the "RF" paints in Don's pack are Russel Smith's work for FS9. The cannon ports are modelled, so Photoshop will not solve that problem, alas. Though I'm a hardcore RF fan, I'm happy to sub them onto a suitable model. In this case, with the ones Hen modelled, the closest would be the C - due to its small nose, and no pylons. There are compatibility issues with some of the grey/white textures - though the later TPS lo vis one converts/applies nicely. This side of a ground up repaint, they'll do nicely.

Cheers,

DL

gray eagle
December 4th, 2015, 04:59
You are correct sir, As a former F8-C BB stacker (Ordnance), the gun area was the first place I looked (out of habit) :adoration:

I was just bringing to light the things that were obvious to me. I don't remember ever being around RF-8A (No ventral fins) much less seen one. I googled and found one.
I think the Photo birds had a little more kick in the engine.

It's more than just the cannon and cameras not ever being together - the RF-8A (no ventral strakes) and RF-8G (with ventral strakes) were completely different airframes. Many differences, including

All were small nosed, no IRST
Fuselage was deeper and square in cross section in the forward half
Refueling probe under a flush, not faired blister door
Camera pod under chin intake

And so the list goes.

Most of the "RF" paints in Don's pack are Russel Smith's work for FS9. The cannon ports are modelled, so Photoshop will not solve that problem, alas. Though I'm a hardcore RF fan, I'm happy to sub them onto a suitable model. In this case, with the ones Hen modelled, the closest would be the C - due to its small nose, and no pylons. There are compatibility issues with some of the grey/white textures - though the later TPS lo vis one converts/applies nicely. This side of a ground up repaint, they'll do nicely.

Cheers,

DL

gray eagle
December 4th, 2015, 08:39
http://s29.postimg.org/j2k1yl0mv/VF_84.jpg

http://s12.postimg.org/iwc1rx8rh/VF84_1.jpg

delta_lima
December 4th, 2015, 08:59
You are correct sir, As a former F8-C BB stacker (Ordnance), the gun area was the first place I looked (out of habit) :adoration:

I was just bringing to light the things that were obvious to me. I don't remember ever being around RF-8A (No ventral fins) much less seen one. I googled and found one.
I think the Photo birds had a little more kick in the engine.

Yes, the RF-8As didn't last long until replaced with (or remanufactured into) Gs. That said, they (RF-8As) together with RF-101 Voodoos, got some of the critical tactical photographic intel during the Cuban Missle Crisis. When Carl modeled these, I begged him for an RF ... he said, no, but would I be happy with the J ... the rest is history.

As to speed, I'm not aware that their engines different from their fighter equivalents, but certainly the aerodynamics were superior on the RFs, chiefly around the absence of all the extra blisters for refueling probes, wing humps, etc. In particular, the smaller nose was a factor, evidenced by how the fighter D model (also small nose) was faster than the otherwise identical E fighter. The D was considered the best performing of the fighter series. They were "cleaner", for sure, and the RFs were the "cleanest". Pilot accounts mention how they (escorts) would have to be in afterburner just to keep up with the RFs at military power.

The photo-Crusaders are, hands down, my fave models ... :encouragement:

http://www.cloud9photography.us/Military-Aviation-11/Vought-RF-8-Crusader-Military/i-d7wT9Kh/0/L/RF-8USMC%2000001%20Vought%20RF-8%20Crusader%20USMC%20146843%20VMCJ-3%20MCAS%20El%20Toro%20September%201961%20by%20D%2 0W%20Carter%20-L.jpg

gray eagle
December 4th, 2015, 11:10
http://s11.postimg.org/6cvnzojn7/VU7.jpg

http://s14.postimg.org/x02v9314h/VU7_1.jpg

http://s8.postimg.org/mv0uteohx/VU7_2.jpg

gray eagle
December 4th, 2015, 11:18
http://s11.postimg.org/eudjtkhv7/VU7_4.jpg

delta_lima
December 4th, 2015, 12:32
Wicked, GE!!!

What model is that? I didn't think Henk had converted the "B" (no strakes). That (and indeed all of Pierre Llereux's paints were among some of the best, back in the day. Still keepers - and esp that one.

If a strake-less B is available native, then that might be the model I (try to) plop one of the RF paints on to ...

Thanks,

dl

gray eagle
December 4th, 2015, 13:20
Wicked, GE!!!

What model is that? I didn't think Henk had converted the "B" (no strakes). That (and indeed all of Pierre Llereux's paints were among some of the best, back in the day. Still keepers - and esp that one.

If a strake-less B is available native, then that might be the model I (try to) plop one of the RF paints on to ...

Thanks,

dl

You are correct in that is one of Pierre Liereux's repaints

from here http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=drone+crusader&CatID=root&Go=Search

If you look at the files inside the texture it looks a little strange in the there are Two liveries in the one texture.
Now the model it calls for I got/used from Dons converted F-8's and is the model.F8U-1E.
I did not convert the bmps to DDS files. They are running on raw bmp's.

I set up the aircraft.cfg as such:

[fltsim.x]
title=ALPHA DF-8F Crusader
sim=ALPHA_F-8v2 <<<<< Changed this line to as it is now.
model=F8U-1E <<<< Added this model to the Henk's F8 native V2.
panel=
sound=
texture=drone
KB_checklists=f8_check
kb_reference=
ui_manufacturer=Vought
ui_type=F-8 Crusader
ui_variation=DF-8F Drone Controller
description=© ALPHA Simulations 2005\n\nIn 1953 the F8U-1 Crusader won the Navy competition for the new carrier-based day fighter. It flew supersonic on its maiden flight in 1955. A Crusader set a national speed record in 1956 by flying over 1000 mph, for which it won the Thompson Trophy. In 1957 Major John Glenn flew an F8U non-stop from Los Angeles to new York, setting a transcontinental speed record. In 1958 Vought received the first Certificate of merit ever awarded an aircraft manufacturer by the Navy Bureau of Aeronautics for the design, development and production of a US Navy aircraft. In the Vietnam conflict the Crusader had the highest kill ratio over communist jets of any Navy aircraft. The F8U series enjoyed a long service life which was extended in the 1960s by remanufacturing and updating existing aircraft. Crusaders flew in Navy reserve units until 1987, and the French navy flew its Crusaders well into the 1990’s.
atc_id_color=0x00000000
atc_heavy=0
visual_damage=0
atc_id=
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=
atc_parking_types=MIL_COMBAT

Now the wierd think is the in that texture you will see some bmps for another squadron. VF-84. Both squadron textures are in the one drone texture.
Can't figure out how to split them up to their own separate textures.

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :adoration:

http://s12.postimg.org/iwc1rx8rh/VF84_1.jpg

delta_lima
December 4th, 2015, 14:04
Thanks GE,

You're seeing those VF-84 textures because they're the ones the F-8B (F8U-1E) model calls for by default. It's another manifestation of the weird way Carl worked with shared textures. The solution is to dump all but the model-specific textures, pulling the shared textures from the common textures file by use of the texture.cfg. By now, I'd know which ones to keep, so I should be ok - I just didn't know Henk converted the B - not sure how I missed that.

That model will do me fine!

dl

Wings of Gold
December 4th, 2015, 15:37
There is a lot of confusion here about which Crusaders versions should have long nose models, and which should have short nosed models. The confusion is caused by Alphasim (Virtavia) mislabeling what their models should have been! If you look at either the Detail & Scale or In Action publications, you will see that the F-8E (F8U-2NE) had the larger AN/APQ-94 radar from the onset. The F-8E radar nose was therefore the longer and rounder version (hence the term "Long Nose"). The F-8J's were remanufactured F-8E's with various features that had been developed for the French Navy's F-8E (FN). These features included double hinged leading edge droop, BLC and a little larger horizontal stabilizer. However, for our purposes the F-8E and F-8J look the same, and both have the nose IR sensor. Therefore you should use the "model.F-8J" for all your F-8E and F-8J squadron textures (just label the textures accordingly). Alphasim did include a short nose version - but wrongly called it the "model.F-8E", which it is not (because no F-8E had a short nose). The only Crusader variations that had a short nose were the F-8C (F8U-2) and the F-8D (F-8U-2N), These were also remanufacturer by Vought as the F-8K and F-8H. The remanufactured versions retailed their short noses. So, you should only use the short nose (what Alphasim called "model.F-8E") with F-8C and F-8D squadron textures. The beautiful VF-84 texture is for a F-8C that was flown for several cruises on the USS Independence (CV-62).

Question for our wonderful model maker / slash anyone else: The original Alphasim model (and our present one) has a gray 'shelf" that that you can see in the lower left and right hand side, just forward of the Windscreen frame (alongside the outer edge of the instrument cowling). Surely the space between the inside of the windscreen glass and the forward instrument cowling wasn't like this (not near this wide)?

ATB, Bill

delta_lima
December 4th, 2015, 16:10
There is a lot of confusion here about which Crusaders versions should have long nose models, and which should have short nosed models. The confusion is caused by Alphasim (Virtavia) mislabeling what their models should have been! If you look at either the Detail & Scale or In Action publications, you will see that the F-8E (F8U-2NE) had the larger AN/APQ-94 radar from the onset. The F-8E radar nose was therefore the longer and rounder version (hence the term "Long Nose"). The F-8J's were remanufactured F-8E's with various features that had been developed for the French Navy's F-8E (FN). These features included double hinged leading edge droop, BLC and a little larger horizontal stabilizer. However, for our purposes the F-8E and F-8J look the same, and both have the nose IR sensor. Therefore you should use the "model.F-8J" for all your F-8E and F-8J squadron textures (just label the textures accordingly). Alphasim did include a short nose version - but wrongly called it the "model.F-8E", which it is not (because no F-8E had a short nose). The only Crusader variations that had a short nose were the F-8C (F8U-2) and the F-8D (F-8U-2N), These were also remanufacturer by Vought as the F-8K and F-8H. The remanufactured versions retailed their short noses. So, you should only use the short nose (what Alphasim called "model.F-8E") with F-8C and F-8D squadron textures. The beautiful VF-84 texture is for a F-8C that was flown for several cruises on the USS Independence (CV-62).

Question for our wonderful model maker / slash anyone else: The original Alphasim model (and our present one) has a gray 'shelf" that that you can see in the lower left and right hand side, just forward of the Windscreen frame (alongside the outer edge of the instrument cowling). Surely the space between the inside of the windscreen glass and the forward instrument cowling wasn't like this (not near this wide)?

ATB, Bill

I mentioned all of that to Carl a decade ago when beta testing these. Notwithstanding his talent, and not wanting to blade colleague not able to defend himself - the reality was when he had a plan, that was the plan, however compelling the case for accuracy or other considerations might have been. That was one of the few challenges to this project. We have what we have, and I'd say the glass is still more than half full.

dl

Wings of Gold
December 4th, 2015, 17:50
Hi DL,

Perhaps I wasn't clear. Everything works just fine - and you can get all the variation to appear correctly - if you just ignore the labels that Carl put on the models. Incidentally, I also advised Carl while he was doing the original Alphasim release, but. as you say, he remained adamant.

Bill

delta_lima
December 4th, 2015, 21:31
Hi DL,

Perhaps I wasn't clear. Everything works just fine - and you can get all the variation to appear correctly - if you just ignore the labels that Carl put on the models. Incidentally, I also advised Carl while he was doing the original Alphasim release, but. as you say, he remained adamant.

Bill

Yes, those inaccuracies, coupled with the pre/post 1962 Tri-service naval aircraft designation changes, across which this model spans time-wise, makes for easy misunderstanding.

All good. :ernaehrung004:

expat
December 5th, 2015, 00:12
I am usually more of an A-A than a A-G guy but the bomb truck version of the F-8 in VMF-235 colors really looks cool! This model is terrific!

http://s23.postimg.org/nhnjftnqz/bomb.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/j8itdnkhj/full/)

gray eagle
December 5th, 2015, 04:06
There are enough textures for two liveries. as such, I'm feeling it's like picking fly specks out of a pepper shaker :adoration:
Looking for the dupes but could use some advise on how to split these files into two liveries that are the way they should be. In other
words sort these two into an accurate inventory.

Edit: I wonder if Henk is considering updating the older model=F8U-1E from Don's F-8 package?
There is a couple VFP textures in Dons F8 package that used this model (I think).

I've started to delete some files from the drone texture, one at a time, then reload it and see if last file I deleted was necessary (Trial & error).
I found a couple of VF-24 bmps in that collection.

Thanks GE,

You're seeing those VF-84 textures because they're the ones the F-8B (F8U-1E) model calls for by default. It's another manifestation of the weird way Carl worked with shared textures. The solution is to dump all but the model-specific textures, pulling the shared textures from the common textures file by use of the texture.cfg. By now, I'd know which ones to keep, so I should be ok - I just didn't know Henk converted the B - not sure how I missed that.

That model will do me fine!

dl

DaveQ
December 5th, 2015, 12:06
Grey Eagle - I'm going to try and modify the VMF-235 vertical tail files so the tail flashes line up with the rudder on the Marine bird. May be a day or so; RW stuff:untroubled:!

DaveQ

gray eagle
December 5th, 2015, 15:13
Grey Eagle - I'm going to try and modify the VMF-235 vertical tail files so the tail flashes line up with the rudder on the Marine bird. May be a day or so; RW stuff:untroubled:!

DaveQ

Sounds great. Thanks. :adoration:

bob407
December 5th, 2015, 15:54
Paint by Dave Quincey. :encouragement:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32493&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32494&stc=1

gray eagle
December 5th, 2015, 16:20
http://s4.postimg.org/w15f59yrh/VF111.jpg

http://s21.postimg.org/j0fxeworb/VF111_1.jpg

http://s13.postimg.org/tcic31pjb/VF_194_1.jpg

gray eagle
December 5th, 2015, 16:22
http://s23.postimg.org/oo5oso35n/VF33_1.jpg

http://s12.postimg.org/se8q4zppp/VF33.jpg

http://s11.postimg.org/aakbbjdnn/VF_194.jpg

gray eagle
December 5th, 2015, 16:26
Paint by Dave Quincey. :encouragement:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32493&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32494&stc=1

Is this a new repaint of clean version? Looking good :encouragement:

bob407
December 5th, 2015, 16:31
GE

Not new.

gray eagle
December 5th, 2015, 16:43
http://s17.postimg.org/nh1b5x0tb/VF111_Winders.jpg

gray eagle
December 5th, 2015, 16:44
GE

Not new.

Oh is this results of ^ #183 ?

bob407
December 5th, 2015, 17:04
Oh is this results of ^ #183 ?

Negative. It is the exact same one posted in #128.

menef
December 6th, 2015, 01:22
Is this a new repaint of clean version? Looking good :encouragement:

Sorry Gray Eagle, I'm a little confused: what model is this with that bulbe below the windshield ?:dizzy::dizzy:

expat
December 6th, 2015, 01:32
http://s23.postimg.org/qrs5b50cb/vf194.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/iz1hj5ud3/full/)
pic upload (http://postimage.org/)

gray eagle
December 6th, 2015, 07:02
http://s23.postimg.org/qrs5b50cb/vf194.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/iz1hj5ud3/full/)
pic upload (http://postimage.org/)

I would like a copy of this one please. My texture is all black. I have the original texture but having the black issues again.
Did you convert it to DDS? Curious as to what the Aircraft.cfg looks for this one. Do I have to rename any of the original files? if so,
which ones and what/how to do that.

Thanks.

expat
December 6th, 2015, 08:21
Hey, GE,

This paint transferred over with no muss or fuss with the relevant textures assigned (Carl/Ninjamouse's algo ..) to the F-8J model.

expat

gray eagle
December 6th, 2015, 08:56
Hey, GE,

This paint transferred over with no muss or fuss with the relevant textures assigned (Carl/Ninjamouse's algo ..) to the F-8J model.

expat

Strange, I first renamed that texture to VF-194_CAG because I already have a texture.194 and the paint is different. I already posted it here. Dumped the contents of the bmp files as is
over to FSX and got a black preview.

Here is my aircraft.cfg setup

[fltsim.14]
title=VF194 Red Lightnings CAG
sim=ALPHA_F-8v2
model=F8-J
panel=C
sound=
texture=VF-194_CAG <<<<< Had to rename this texture as I have another VF-194 texture that is different.
KB_checklists=f8_check
kb_reference=
ui_manufacturer=Vought
ui_type=F-8 Crusader
ui_variation=VF-194, Red Lightnings CAG
description=VF-194 Textures by Russel R. Smith. © ALPHA Simulations 2005\n\nIn 1953 the F8U-1 Crusader won the Navy competition for the new carrier-based day fighter. It flew supersonic on its maiden flight in 1955. A Crusader set a national speed record in 1956 by flying over 1000 mph, for which it won the Thompson Trophy. In 1957 Major John Glenn flew an F8U non-stop from Los Angeles to new York, setting a transcontinental speed record. In 1958 Vought received the first Certificate of merit ever awarded an aircraft manufacturer by the Navy Bureau of Aeronautics for the design, development and production of a US Navy aircraft. In the Vietnam conflict the Crusader had the highest kill ratio over communist jets of any Navy aircraft. The F8U series enjoyed a long service life which was extended in the 1960s by remanufacturing and updating existing aircraft. Crusaders flew in Navy reserve units until 1987, and the French navy flew its Crusaders well into the 1990’s.
atc_id_color=0x00000000
atc_heavy=0
visual_damage=0
atc_id=
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=
atc_parking_types=MIL_COMBAT

gray eagle
December 6th, 2015, 09:07
This is another one of those deathangel textures and the model for it is not use for theV2 update therefore, F8-J model was used.
Had problem before with the VMF 235 as it used the deathangel model and was black like this VF-191.

Trying to remember what was done to alleviate the black black preview issue.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=42737648

gray eagle
December 6th, 2015, 09:29
Just for grins, I added the old texture model.deathangel and it shows up alright but at price of dark areas on the pylons and other places.
So, the question remains, with out using the model.deathangel, what model is there left? I tried the F8-J model and for me that was not working I tried the E model also.

http://s8.postimg.org/iq6hqwl45/vf194_cag.jpg

expat
December 6th, 2015, 09:39
When in doubt .. improvise, experiment.

Here is my paint (nothing done to it since the FS9/portover time) . .

expat
December 6th, 2015, 09:40
'cept it ain't my paint, it is the original author's ..

gray eagle
December 6th, 2015, 10:06
When in doubt .. improvise, experiment.

Here is my paint (nothing done to it since the FS9/portover time) . .

Thanks, I noticed that in your zip that there are two new folders that contain the same smaller inventory of textures. What is that about? Looks like one of 'em contained the original files that I was working with that rendered black bird. The top folder in your zip looks to contain a LOT more bmps then what was originally supplied. Thanks for the files. Just trying to figure out the logic used in what you did. :encouragement: Looks as though you borrowed inventory of files from another texture. See, that's where I am tying to understand how to augment the files to the deathangel textures.
Which files or file folder do you cherry pick from to make the necessary inventory?

http://s10.postimg.org/y96jrq4e1/vf194_cag.jpg

expat
December 6th, 2015, 12:02
Just trying to figure out the logic used in what you did. :encouragement:

Don't try. I haven't a clue .. It is down to Ninjamouse's wild and wacky way of setting it up. In many of my F-8 texture folders there are dozens and dozens of bmps that don't apply to the given texture. That's just the way Carl did it. I just added my own mods and left all the leftover stuff in the folder. I have as much fun flying, trapping etc as I do trying to troubleshoot these kinds of challenges. You need to analyze the situation and then experiment, use trial and error until you see the result desired ..

That said, this model has to be one of the very best FS9 ports and now FSX native redux's I have ever experienced in 10 yrs of FSX. I got the model back about 2005 and it is probably the most plane I have flown.

gray eagle
December 6th, 2015, 12:25
Don't try. I haven't a clue .. It is down to Ninjamouse's wild and wacky way of setting it up. In many of my F-8 texture folders there are dozens and dozens of bmps that don't apply to the given texture. That's just the way Carl did it. I just added my own mods and left all the leftover stuff in the folder. I have as much fun flying, trapping etc as I do trying to troubleshoot these kinds of challenges. You need to analyze the situation and then experiment, use trial and error until you see the result desired ..

That said, this model has to be one of the very best FS9 ports and now FSX native redux's I have ever experienced in 10 yrs of FSX. I got the model back about 2005 and it is probably the most plane I have flown.

I appreciate the info. Up until now, I was unfamiliar with Carl Edwards, and I still am, other then you mentioned his name here.
With what you said ^ about adding your own mods (files) I guess you did your own "trial & error" as you feed extra bmps in the mystery texture till you come up with something that works.
I looked at the "extra" bmps in your zip and where they were borrowed from to give this thing some commonality with one the basic textures that work. Just trying to learn what texture
they were pulled from, perhaps VF-24 texture. Now what Mr Carl had to do with all this I don't know. I really appreciate your time and help. And much thanks for your file. :encouragement:

"Butch"

expat
December 6th, 2015, 13:16
I guess you did your own "trial & error" as you feed extra bmps in the mystery texture till you come up with something that works.

Exactemente!

gray eagle
December 6th, 2015, 13:41
Exactemente!

Sounds like it was all based on hope and a prayer on your part. :adoration:

I did examine those two "New Folders" and noticed they had same bmps withdifferent file names. i.e., F8J_Somthing in one folder and F8E_Something in the other new folder.
Then, from what I can tell, you took the contents of the basic texture folder or one of the F8 Navy folder's (lets just say VF-24 for giggles eh?) and blended into one texture pot
both new folders and the basic texture. Would that be a reasonable guess?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by expat http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=995143#post995143)
Don't try. I haven't a clue ..

Again, I am just trying to learn from all this but it sounds like if you didn't have a clue (as you alluded to ^ ) then maybe it is the blind leading the blind. :semi-twins:

Wish I knew who this Carl Edwards is and what is his claim to fame on all this?

Cheerio

DaveQ
December 6th, 2015, 14:02
GE - Carl Edwards was responsible for the original textures on the payware Alphasim F-8. It is his unique method of putting all the textures for all the paint schemes into one texture folder and have the models determine which texture files to call from it, that has been frying brain cells here...:untroubled:!!

DaveQ

gray eagle
December 6th, 2015, 14:17
GE - Carl Edwards was responsible for the original textures on the payware Alphasim F-8. It is his unique method of putting all the textures for all the paint schemes into one texture folder and have the models determine which texture files to call from it, that has been frying brain cells here...:untroubled:!!

DaveQ

Ah, so, Thanks for this nugget of info. :wavey:

harrybasset
December 6th, 2015, 23:34
Ah, so, Thanks for this nugget of info. :wavey:

Yes, it's frustrating trying to get some of the splendid skins to work with Henk's F-8v2. I will stick with what I have useable.

expat
December 8th, 2015, 04:52
Be nice to have repaints of one/both - and also a USS Hancock for them . .

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8112/8653289054_75606929d2_b.jpg

gray eagle
December 8th, 2015, 07:22
Be nice to have repaints of one/both - and also a USS Hancock for them . .

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8112/8653289054_75606929d2_b.jpg

I was with them when embarked on USS Hancock and USS Bon Homme Richard. THe one you see there from the Hancock, look at the ventral stabs.
Those 5 migs kills I helped with back in 67. The red color looks a bit faded. I don't remember the black used with the red in the checker pattern.

expat
December 8th, 2015, 07:42
I was with them when embarked on USS Hancock and USS Bon Homme Richard. THe one you see there from the Hancock, look at the ventral stabs.
Those 5 migs kills I helped with back in 66/67. The red color looks a bit faded. I don't remember the black used with the red in the checker pattern.

That is just so cool, GE. I think the black in the checker pattern might be just shadow. I think VF-24 only used the yellow color in 1970, otherwise other years it mostly red, but the pattern of that squadron seemed to change almost yearly.

gray eagle
December 8th, 2015, 08:01
Here is picture of me (Left) on the USS Hancock, the other guy was my LPO (Leading PO). All the mig kills VF-24 made were while on USS Bon Homme Richard.
I knew all those pilots. They went on in their careers to become Captains or Admirals. The story on the Half Mig by LTJG Dempewolf was at first the kill couldn't be confirmed; later on,
it was.

http://s10.postimg.org/4vclu35i1/image.jpg

http://s22.postimg.org/izpz61q1d/Mig_Kills.jpg

expat
December 8th, 2015, 13:23
WIP of my quick and dirty lash ups - 90% copy & paste - the rest MS Paint filler. Needs a bit more work (underfin checkers too large, among other things).

http://s23.postimg.org/cun7g782z/vf211.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4p55i1jtz/full/)

gray eagle
December 8th, 2015, 13:27
WIP of my quick and dirty lash ups - 90% copy & paste - the rest MS Paint filler. Needs a bit more work (underfin checkers too large, among other things).

http://s23.postimg.org/cun7g782z/vf211.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4p55i1jtz/full/)

VF-211 (sister squadron) had the bigger checks. We had the small checks, VF-211 called us "Bite Size". We called them Brand "X" :adoration:
Would be cool if the five little migs could be put on the ventrals of a VF-24 paint with maybe USS Bon Homme Richard (Bonny Dick) in place of USS Hancock.

expat
December 8th, 2015, 13:41
Agree GE! What is beyond my skills is doing that V-shaped kind of chevron on the tail + everything else! Would be great if DaveQ could use his considered talents on this pair of cool paints. :adoration:

gray eagle
December 8th, 2015, 13:58
Something like this (Mig kill detail) 'cept 4 1/2 migs were on the real deal. Plus USS BonHomme Richard in lieu of the Hancock. We were embarked on the Bonnie Dick when all the action took place :adoration:

http://www.aviation-art.net/Gallery2009A/vf24crusader.jpg

TARPSBird
December 8th, 2015, 16:53
Here is picture of me (Left) on the USS Hancock, the other guy was my LPO (Leading PO). All the mig kills VF-24 made were while on USS Bon Homme Richard.
I knew all those pilots. They went on in their careers to become Captains or Admirals. The story on the Half Mig by LTJG Dempewolf was at first the kill couldn't be confirmed; later on, it was.

http://s22.postimg.org/izpz61q1d/Mig_Kills.jpg

I worked for LCDR Tim Hubbard when he came to VFP-63 in 1970. At the time I didn't know about his MiG kill. He wanted me to go out on his photo det but I declined, they were going to Coral Sea and I had already made two trips out on her.

gray eagle
December 9th, 2015, 09:46
Back in my F-8 days, I remember seeing this sign in my VF-24 Maintenance Control work center at Miramar. Good 'ole days. I remember the smell of Turco soap in the air as I walked from my barracks
to the Hanger.

http://i.imgsafe.org/f43644a.jpg

expat
December 10th, 2015, 13:51
Some further work ..

http://s14.postimg.org/p6cvp9mo1/211.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/d4hhv4dfh/full/)
images hosting (http://postimage.org/)

gray eagle
December 10th, 2015, 13:58
Some further work ..

http://s14.postimg.org/p6cvp9mo1/211.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/d4hhv4dfh/full/)
images hosting (http://postimage.org/)

Say, that's looking good there. Brand "X" :santahat:

expat
December 11th, 2015, 01:05
I might also do a VF-24 like the one in the photo - I think 1970 was the only year they had yellow markings, all the other years they are red and look very similar to VF-211.

DaveQ
December 11th, 2015, 01:16
Here's the other one from the photo. An F-8J showing the five victory symbols on the ventral fins. Guessing the yellow flashes on nose and tail have red surround. Rudder (pain..!) not done and the star and bar is too small so will fix before publishing. Name of the pilot unknown but will use one of those above unless GE knows otherwise.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/DaveQ-photos/F-8%20VF-24%201_zps6wgy0mqe.jpg

DaveQ

expat
December 11th, 2015, 01:45
Special thanks and appreciation to Dave Quincey whose repaints I like and have used as a base. I think his USN "gull grey" color is slightly warmer and less blue-ish then the default paints and matches better the period aircraft I have seen IRL.

expat
December 11th, 2015, 02:12
Here's the other one from the photo.

Holy Gunfighters Batman!

Dave - our posts just crossed. That looks sensational and you have just saved me hours doing my miserable MS Paint hatchet job that looks 1000% worse than your fine work!

gray eagle
December 11th, 2015, 04:49
Here's the other one from the photo. An F-8J showing the five victory symbols on the ventral fins. Guessing the yellow flashes on nose and tail have red surround. Rudder (pain..!) not done and the star and bar is too small so will fix before publishing. Name of the pilot unknown but will use one of those above unless GE knows otherwise.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/DaveQ-photos/F-8%20VF-24%201_zps6wgy0mqe.jpg

DaveQ

Dave,

I don't think I was around that outfit when they had yellow checkers. What I would like to request is another VF-24 with USS BonHomme Richard, red/white checks and those five mig kills on the
ventral fins. That would be awesome :encouragement: When I was with them 65/66 we deployed on the USS Hancock to the coast of Viet-nam. Later, in '67 we cross decked to the USS BonHomme Richard.
The Hancock was in the yards for repairs.

gray eagle
December 11th, 2015, 04:51
F-8s launching from USS Bon Homme Richard (CVA-31) off Vietnam in 1967

Notice VF-24 with the Zunis and Band "X" with the winders. No checks on VF-211's ventral fins at the time. It was during this deployment that both F-8 squadrons would score with mig kills.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a4/F-8s_launching_from_USS_Bon_Homme_Richard_%28CVA-31%29_off_Vietnam_in_1967.jpg

DaveQ
December 11th, 2015, 05:20
Holy Gunfighters Batman!

Dave - our posts just crossed. That looks sensational and you have just saved me hours doing my miserable MS Paint hatchet job that looks 1000% worse than your fine work!

Thanks expat, it's always good to feel your work is appreciated. And don't knock yerself about - your paints are just fine. I did the original ones with Photoshop Elements 2 or 4 so they were never that brilliant! The colours are from the Simmers Paintshop charts which I always use as a reference source btw.

GE - I'll have a go at 146998 next. Is that an -E with a white radome??

DaveQ

gray eagle
December 11th, 2015, 05:38
Thanks expat, it's always good to feel your work is appreciated. And don't knock yerself about - your paints are just fine. I did the original ones with Photoshop Elements 2 or 4 so they were never that brilliant! The colours are from the Simmers Paintshop charts which I always use as a reference source btw.

GE - I'll have a go at 146998 next. Is that an -E with a white radome??

DaveQ

No, It was a F8-C. VF-211 had the "E"'s. We had maybe a "D" or two back then.

F8U-2 (F-8C) – J57-P-16 engine with 16,900 lbf (75 kN) of afterburning thrust, ventral fins added under the rear fuselage in an attempt to rectify yaw instability, Y-shaped cheek pylons allowing two Sidewinder missiles on each side of the fuselage, AN/APQ-83 radar retrofitted during later upgrades. First flight: 20 August 1957, 187 built. This variant was sometimes referred to as Crusader II.
F8U-2N (F-8D) – all-weather version, unguided rocket pack replaced with an additional fuel tank, J57-P-20 engine with 18,000 lbf (80 kN) of afterburning thrust, landing system which automatically maintained present airspeed during approach, incorporation of AN/APQ-83 radar. First flight: 16 February 1960, 152 built.

gray eagle
December 11th, 2015, 05:50
F8 Crusaders from 1966 & 1967 Vietnam Cruises on the U.S.S Hancock CVA-19 & The U.S.S Bon Homme Richard CVA-31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URaw5KfFaVI

expat
December 12th, 2015, 00:47
No, It was a F8-C. VF-211 had the "E"'s. We had maybe a "D" or two back then.

Hm, but 146998 looks to me like it has the "E" and "J" hump. Didn't think C's and D's had that.

expat
December 12th, 2015, 00:49
Scratch that, no you are right. The VF-211 on the left is different. :untroubled:

expat
December 12th, 2015, 01:09
Also like the VF-51 and VF-53 schemes on the Bonnie Dick . .

http://s27.postimg.org/7ug2fuocj/migmasters_v1_instructions_page5.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
how to capture screen (http://postimage.org/app.php)

expat
December 12th, 2015, 01:11
GE - thanks for the slide show - enjoyed that!

gray eagle
December 12th, 2015, 04:54
The first three entries/deployments was when I was assigned with VF-24. After that time, you will notice that the squadron had transitioned to different versions of the F-8
Notice the tail code and Modex variations in each deployments. So when you view pictures of VF-24's F8's you can look at this listing and note the approx time frame of
the photos. Also, you will note, that we normally deployed on the USS Hancock with exception of the USS Bon Homme RIchard. It was on the Bonnie Dick's that we scored the migs.
VF-51 was normally assigned to the USS Bon Homme Richard after their USS Tico cruises, later, and for what ever reason, CVW-5 and CVW 21 cross decked to different carriers for a short time.
Hope this helps. :santahat:

http://s16.postimg.org/klhguwblh/Deployments.jpg

gray eagle
December 12th, 2015, 04:59
Scratch that, no you are right. The VF-211 on the left is different. :untroubled:

Yup, and VF-21 (Brand "X") had the "E" bird and that meant wing hard points, As a former AO back then, I was glad to be working with the "C" version; no hard points, no bombs to load over my head.
The USAF AFAIK didn't have to manually load bombs on their A/C, they had mechanical loaders that did all the heavy lifting.

DaveQ
December 12th, 2015, 06:32
Two F-8's from VF-24 uploaded, both from photos above; an F-8C from the Bonnie Dick and an F-8H from the Hancock. Hope they're OK for you.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32730&stc=1
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32731&stc=1

DaveQ

expat
December 12th, 2015, 07:36
Outstanding! Thanks so much Dave. Really appreciate your doing these.

gray eagle
December 12th, 2015, 08:17
Thanks Dave for the USS Bon Homme Richard version. :encouragement:

VF-24 transitioned from F-8's to F-14's then folded (Decommished)

http://www.topedge.com/panels/aircraft/sites/vf24/

gray eagle
December 12th, 2015, 08:29
Interesting stuff here on the F8's. Have you speakers on when you click on link below, it's of a F8 flyby (Listen to what a real F8/J57 sonic boom is like)
I recommend clicking on all the links for some interesting photos of F8's.

http://users.cloudnet.com/djohnson/images.html (http://users.cloudnet.com/djohnson/images.html)

Below is a picture of F8's manning up. You will hear the huffer start the F8 then it is spooling up getting ready for launch. (Leave your sound on)

http://users.cloudnet.com/djohnson/manning.htm

jjdc
December 12th, 2015, 08:45
Hi

I was wondering if these paints are posted anywhere?

Thanks

JJDC

expat
December 12th, 2015, 10:59
Think Dave said he uploaded them so probably in the waiting room (to post here). Can't wait to get my paws on them!

DaveQ
December 12th, 2015, 14:09
Think Dave said he uploaded them so probably in the waiting room (to post here). Can't wait to get my paws on them!

Correct - Are available here and at Flightsim.com as usual.

DaveQ

gray eagle
December 13th, 2015, 05:21
Thanks Dave for the paints, I had a go of it at first trying to locate you paints as they were not showing up in the preview under Vought. It was then that I noticed that the UI Manf
was listed as Chance-Vought. I changed it to Vought to match the others. Can't figure out why I see white smoke (circled in yellow) trailing from the wing tips.

Nice Job!

Edit. All the textures in the Alphasim F8 series will emit this smoke like effect from the wing tips. I tried other jets i.e. f-18 etc and did not have the issue.

http://s8.postimg.org/9i7s3rgit/VF_24.jpg

gray eagle
December 13th, 2015, 06:07
After taking off, I noticed that the trailing smoke from the wing tips would abate completely. Experience the wing smoke just while on the ground. Don't know what's up with the?

http://s18.postimg.org/wyrddqnuh/VF24_1.jpg

http://s24.postimg.org/rlx8gt7d1/VF_24_3.jpg

mal998
December 13th, 2015, 06:41
Try commenting these out:
// light.2 = 7, -11.46,-17.55, 1.33, fx_contrail_Alpha Viggen
// light.3 = 7, -11.46, 17.55, 1.33, fx_contrail_Alpha Viggen

expat
December 13th, 2015, 06:46
Yep, I don't particularly like the contrails in FS - they come on at all sorts of unrealistic times.

expat
December 13th, 2015, 06:47
Dave - have the new paints and they are really excellent!

gray eagle
December 13th, 2015, 08:51
Try commenting these out:
// light.2 = 7, -11.46,-17.55, 1.33, fx_contrail_Alpha Viggen
// light.3 = 7, -11.46, 17.55, 1.33, fx_contrail_Alpha Viggen

That worked, thanks :santahat:

pfflyers
December 13th, 2015, 10:51
Dave,

Just wanted to add my thanks for your great Crusader repaints. They look awesome.

I don't normally do requests, but if you ever get in the mood for another F-8 paintjob I'd love to see your version of the VF-111 aircraft profiled above. I've always liked the Sundowners markings and I'm sure your interpretation would look great.

I know there's a version out using the original PK, but I think yours looks better.

Thanks again for the repaints you've already done.