PDA

View Full Version : Another nightmare by me

hey_moe
February 1st, 2009, 06:52
Friday night I started changing out the MB,processor,memory on my rig. Worked on it for about 5 hours and then started again Saturday morning. Got it all completed and it was play time. The the new system was nice, boot time was fast and I wanted to do tweaking on this Asus Rampage Extreme. The temps and OCing to 3.5 was only around 84 degs on this water system. Was surfing the net and da wife wanted to do some shopping so we left. When I got back home and hit the start button that was all she wrote. Did all the quick checks...nuthin. Ya hit the button and a second later it cut out. First thing I did was take the MB out of the case, tried it no good. I started replacing one thing at a time,power supply,memory,processor..ect..ect. Well by the time I stopped nothing was connect to the MB.The only thing that was on the MB was memory,processor,power supply.....make a long story short it is a bad MB...LOL.Being since I know it takes a couple of weeks to get this resolved I went ahead and put my old system back together and also put the new processor on the old MB. I found out that I can only use 1 gig of memory with this processor. The new memory I brought won't work on this board. I wasted my whole weekend but look at the bright side of this...when I get the replacement MB I get to do this all over again....waaaaaaa!:help::help: The seller wanted to sent me a rebuilt MB. I said on a 5 day old board...I don't think so jack. He said that is the best he can do. I contacted Amazon and they said if they couldn't straighten this out by Tuesday they would credit my account 401.00...I said ok

Ickie
February 1st, 2009, 07:02
I have had bad MB before, thats wht this time I am getting a pre built, lol

warbird861
February 1st, 2009, 07:16
What a wonderful world of computer technology :caked:

Buddha13
February 1st, 2009, 08:00
Hi Moe,
Had my new rig built by a local firm I know well.Been too busy to build it myself recently.
Anyway origionally was going to have an MSI P35 Diamond mobo.All the specs at the MSI site said it should take all the bits I wanted.
The machine was built and for all the trying it would not boot.Tried a lower spec Q9550 processor,Still would not boot.Took that out and tried an E6600 out of my old machine.It booted fine.checked for bios updates and found one for the QX9650.Updated the bios and booted with the E6600.That went fine so we put the QX9650 back in.Still did not boot.The emails to MSi were of no help.They said it should work.So out it came and in went the ASUS Stryker II.Worked fine straight away.
Delayed me getting my new machine by 2 weeks.
Why it would take the dual core chip but not take the quad core ships is a mystery to us here.
Used to be a fan of MSI,But not too sure anymore.

Buddha13

Buddha13

hey_moe
February 1st, 2009, 09:30
I know we have all had those pooter nightmares. I wish I had brought this board through Newegg instead Amazon. I would already had another on the way by now. I usually don't have problems with the Asus MB...I guess I was due for one.:monkies:

rpjkw
February 1st, 2009, 11:03
Sorry to hear about your problems, Mike. That's why I quit building my own rigs years ago. Not worth the hassle and I fried a MB with just a little, eentsy weentsy static discharge. There's a great pooter shop here that builds, 'at no extra charge', rigs to my specifications. That's why I still have all my hair.

Bob

hey_moe
February 1st, 2009, 11:19
Well Bob, I am a old fart and I enjoy seeing what I can screw up...lol. I do HVAC repair/install for a living and I have got use to new hardware failing...don't sweat the little stuff.
Sorry to hear about your problems, Mike. That's why I quit building my own rigs years ago. Not worth the hassle and I fried a MB with just a little, eentsy weentsy static discharge. There's a great pooter shop here that builds, 'at no extra charge', rigs to my specifications. That's why I still have all my hair.

Bob

Lionheart
February 1st, 2009, 13:17
Oh man... Sorry to hear about this Moe...

:icon_eek:

Why in the heck are so many faulty parts being sent out? What is going on? is it shipping and they are being bounced around too much? What the hay?

I install a new power supply and card, and the computer works fine 3X.. 4th boot, bzzzzzzzt... sizzle..

:banghead:

Glad you are not really worried about it and they are covering it at Amazon. Gotta love NewEgg.com.

Bill

Buddha13
February 1st, 2009, 14:14
Hi all,
lionheart I think the reason more things appear to go wrong is that we have much more complicated pieces of kit.
I remember the first mobo I had back in 1998.It was a Jetway.Top of the range model,Even the cheapest mobo you can buy today is more complicated than that one.The old adage more on it,more to go wrong.

Buddha13

hey_moe
February 1st, 2009, 14:39
It's the direction the world is going in. We are in a throw away economy.Nothing is made to last and the cheaper you make it and turn it out the better.There isn't a big profit margin in small electronics either.

GT182
February 1st, 2009, 15:49
Poo happens Moe, and I know all to well how you feel. ;) The puter I'm on now, and built meself, had the same problem. I went thru 3 Asus mother boards before I go one that worked. At least Asus is good about replacing defective hardware. Good luck on the next board.

Joe P
February 1st, 2009, 18:39
I'm glad I invested in an ESD workstation!

harleyman
February 1st, 2009, 19:24
They are having mucho problems with that board...

I had a bad Gigabyte mobo on my build too...

Sorry to hear you had all this problems..

Looks like you get more practice though.....:caked: sorry...had to....lol

I like NewEgg for that very reason....I just reorder and RMA the dead one and have the new board in 3 days....Then get my refund from the return later once its recieved...