PDA

View Full Version : Something I've been meaning to do for a while

gecko
October 30th, 2015, 13:21
I bought Wings Over Flanders Fields a while back, and finally got around to importing the incredible scenery to CFS3. These are the initial results:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30830&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30831&stc=1

Note, this will not be uploaded as it is payware, but I'm sure OBD Software would appreciate your business, plus you a get a fantastic WWI sim. http://www.overflandersfields.com/

Some edits will be required to remove the trenches, etc, but it is totally possible.

And yes, for those concerned I'm still putting most of my limited CFS3 time into getting a certain rocket powered interceptor ready for release, this was just a minor detour.

HouseHobbit
October 30th, 2015, 15:13
Yes!! Too cool!!

I did this some time ago with the OFF then later BHAH scenery in a install, but haven't tried the WOFF scenery yet.

grover1
October 31st, 2015, 11:23
Hi,

How do I go about setting up the WOFF scenery in CFS3? I tried it once before and I kept getting a CTD

Thanks,
Chris

gecko
November 11th, 2015, 18:42
You need to replace the contents of your assets and terrains folders with the ones from WOFF.

Threedp
November 12th, 2015, 04:17
I'm temped to do this but is there a downside, i.e. anachronisms? That said, I think I see Chain Home radar towers in one of the above shots, which would be anachronistic for WW1.

gecko
November 12th, 2015, 04:46
I only am using the scenery, the global layer which includes things like the radar stations in CFS3 or WWI bases and targets in WOFF is separate. Those towers are not in WOFF and my CFS3 install using WOFF scenery does not have the WWI airfields, etc.

Pat Pattle
November 12th, 2015, 05:32
I've done this as well on one of my BoB installs and it does look great but I think the houses could do with making more British in appearance for it.

gecko
November 12th, 2015, 18:33
For now I'm happy to have something other than concrete boxes with windows randomly dotting the landscape. Now there are rows of houses, and streets to fly down low enough for the second story tenants to look down on me with disapproval.

Frosty
November 15th, 2015, 23:23
Hmm, looks interesting!
I have the first payware version of OFF - Between Heaven and Hell. Is there much difference between this and WOFF, scenery-wise?

Threedp
January 25th, 2016, 05:54
i think I'm finally ready to invest in WOFF and do this. Is it as simple as "replacing the contents of my assets and terrains folders with the ones from WOFF."?

gecko
January 25th, 2016, 08:17
Joost, it is SO much better! The scenery is several steps above the last version and the sim itself is vastly improved. Very polished, totally new AI (they're really smart and human) and a lot more. I still mainly fly CFS3, but I've kept a WOFF campaign going that I go back to from time to time.

Threedp, yes, basically, but it is a little more complicated to get it set up in WM Scenery manager to be able to change seasons, but still mainly just a matter of putting files in the right folders. I posted links to all the related threads for Owen on the last page of the screenshots thread.

Threedp
January 26th, 2016, 05:10
Thanks!

Purchase made. Hoping to tackle it tonight. One nit-picky question:

Do I "replace" the Assets and Terrains folders (i.e. delete them from CFS3 and then copy in the WOFF ones),

or,

Do I overwrite the the folders in CFS3?

The difference is subtle, but the latter course may leave some files in that are not in the WOFF folders, which may be good (i.e. CFS3 needs said files) or bad (the presence of such files causes CTD, etc.).

gecko
January 26th, 2016, 19:06
I don't recall, and unfortunately I can't access my files as my GPU went belly up (no onboard chip for backup). It will probably be next week before I can look into it.

Threedp
January 27th, 2016, 04:43
Thanks for the help. :-)

I tried both and failed on both counts, CTD. I did use WM Scenery a long time ago just to get myself a fully snowy winter. Not sure I even have it installed anymore. But having used it once, does that put me into the category of someone who has to follow the WM path to get it to work?

Threedp
January 30th, 2016, 12:08
Whatever I've tried has failed, at least in part. The most obvious issue is trees. In some cases my trees turn into the winter ones and stay that we even in summer. In other cases, they're rectangular. I'll keep plugging away. Any guidance welcome.

gecko
January 30th, 2016, 16:00
I'm still out of action, so I can't help yet, hang in there. Once my PC is in I'll be able to look at it. With trees, you only get one season at a time with the WOFF scenery, instead of before when you got a summer variation and a winter variation. It sounds like you also have an extra scenery sheet texture in your install which is causing the rectangular trees.

gecko
February 2nd, 2016, 20:08
OK, operational (sort of) again. How is it coming? Any more issues?

Threedp
February 3rd, 2016, 07:28
I kind of gave up!

In my last attempt, if I recall correctly, I simply replaced (not overwritten) the Assets & Terrains folders and it worked but I lost airfield textures (buildings & such still there) and couldn't get the full snow that I like. Not entirely sure of the details. I do remember on the GUI screen some of the buildings were freakishly angular and black! I may also have done some ZX file deleting in attempts to get it to work.

I think I tried an overwrite of the two folders, but that got me a CTD.

I'm now back to baseline and I do have WM installed and it works, so perhaps I need my hand held with very specific instructions on what to do in such a case?

Sorry to be so thick!:banghead:

gecko
February 5th, 2016, 14:05
There are a lot of variables here. Can you post a screenshot of the assets and terrains folder of the install you are installing into? Both folders, particularly the assists folder, are catch alls for a number of addons that could be effecting you.

Threedp
February 6th, 2016, 18:32
Assets on the left, Terrains on the right:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34635&stc=1

gecko
February 9th, 2016, 19:48
Terrains folder should be good. In the assets folder, you will need to keep the airbase outlines folder, and inside the mos folder, you will need everything that has airbase in the file name.

Threedp
February 10th, 2016, 18:52
OK, the airbase outlines folder is straightforward. As for the mos files, Should I keep the mos folder (deleting all but the "airbase" files from it) or copy the "airbase" files into the WW1MOS folder?

Follow up: Sadly, neither option had any effect. I even tried moving the airbase outlines files into the WW1Airfields folder, but no dice. Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated, but I think I'm going to have to give up. :-(

gecko
February 10th, 2016, 19:25
Hang in there, which scenery are you using? Are any airbases showing up, or are all the textures gone? Try looking through all the WMScenery folders for airbase textures. They will either have "airbase" or "ACC" in their names. Keep all of those. CFS3 doesn't care which folder anything is in, if it is located anywhere in the main folder or any subfolder, it will find the texture.

Threedp
February 12th, 2016, 08:30
Progress: Some! In the summer/spring, the airfields themselves look good now but the trees on the airfields are just solid intersecting rectangles. In the winter the missing airfields return and I can't get the full snow winter I want. I'll continue fiddling!

gecko
February 12th, 2016, 23:34
Alright, good. For the airbases, I'll need more information. Which install are you working with - ETO 1.5 or something else? Also, which airbases have the issue? All of them or just specific ones? I'm hoping if we can pinpoint all your problems I'll be able to write a script that can automatically gather all the files you need to a single location which will then be managed by a new program written by Mongoose's son Peter. Then getting your full snow or any other season working will be as easy as clicking a button.

Threedp
February 15th, 2016, 10:38
Status Report: Airbase issues seem to have been solved by retaining the "airbase" and "ACC" files in the assets WMSummer and WMWinter folders. Solved my 'full winter desire by deleting the files in WW1Autumn and copying in to the WW1WinterFull folder the files from WOFF\WOFFScenery\Seasons\Winter\WinterFull. Remaining known issues: Trees on airbases just dark intersecting rectangles and the trees on the terrain are always the summer versions.

gecko
February 15th, 2016, 10:55
Very good. To get the winter trees, copy the WOFF\WOFFScenery\Scenery\Winter Full\ScenerySheetWWI.dds to your assets folder, overwriting the one there now. It works just like what you did to change to full winter scenery. Any time you change seasons you have to copy both the season and scenery files for the appropriate season. Trees on airbases are different, and as I don't know which bases it is happening at, I can't say which file you need. I suspect you will need dds files containing "Jbscenery_tree" in the name. Like the ground textures and the other trees, these need to be copied in and out to change the seasonal appearance of the trees.

Threedp
February 23rd, 2016, 08:04
Illness slowed me down, but I think I'm getting there.

Question though: Why can the base game, Winding Man installs, and WOFF swap out things like the ScenerySheet but it doesn't work when using the WOFF stuff in ETO?

Also, unless I'm missing something, the full winter ScenerySheet from WOFF lacks snow on the rooftops. I'm trying to correct that, but what DDS option should I use to save such a file?

gecko
February 23rd, 2016, 08:14
Rooftop snow would be a nice addition, I believe DXT1 with alpha channel should work. 32 bit DDS would be higher quality, but a bit bigger file.

ETO doesn't have a program that swaps out scenery files. CFS3 doesn't have that capability in itself, scenery changing occurs automatically in WOFF because before each time you click fly in WOFF, the WOFF manager swaps in and out scenery and other files to customize the sim for that specific flight. WM Scenery is a way to manually customize the scenery using the same principle. We don't have it for ETO yet, unless you are using WM Scenery to do it. Soon we will have one as James' son sent me something that will work perfectly. Got to push the Me 163 outthedoor first though.

MajorMagee
February 23rd, 2016, 16:43
I use the JSGME program to easily swap out specific sets of files for each of my installs. It does have to be done prior to starting the game, but it makes customizing really easy, and prevents ending up with a corrupted base install.

grover1
February 26th, 2016, 21:20
Hi,

I think I've asked about this before, but it seems to me that the WOFF winter-full textures don't work properly with ETO 1.50.

Here's a screenshot showing what I mean.

Does anyone know of a fix? I've ensured that all files are copied over and I'm using the winter textures for the airfields from Von Oben's 7 Season Scenery.

It looks like there's a checkerboard effect, about half of the tiles are white while the rest are green.

Anyone have any fixes?

Thanks,

Chris

grover1
February 26th, 2016, 22:33
Hi all,

Please disregard my previous post. Got it fixed.

Turns out I had to delete the WOFF airfield textures.

Thanks,

Chris

Threedp
March 1st, 2016, 04:09
I thought I was all set and was putting together a WOFF2ETO for dummies, but then I tried some airfields in Germany and the same issue arose, the textures seem to be missing. The UK and France seem to be OK (not that I've checked each and every one). Have not investigated at all yet.

Threedp
March 1st, 2016, 18:54
Correction: Some airfields in said countries seem to lack textures, Gatow & Templehoff in Berlin in particular.

Threedp
March 5th, 2016, 18:51
OK, solved that problem and still trying to layout a clear and easy plan for others. Question, do the two BAT files in the 'airbase outlines' folder matter in the context of using OFF scenery in ETO or is it retained strictly for the DDS files?

mongoose
February 5th, 2017, 13:04
Alright, good. For the airbases, I'll need more information. Which install are you working with - ETO 1.5 or something else? Also, which airbases have the issue? All of them or just specific ones? I'm hoping if we can pinpoint all your problems I'll be able to write a script that can automatically gather all the files you need to a single location which will then be managed by a new program written by Mongoose's son Peter. Then getting your full snow or any other season working will be as easy as clicking a button.

Daniel. have you gone further on this? I note this thread sort of ends in mid air. Was it continued elsewhere?

popsaka
February 6th, 2017, 17:48
Really great thread! Hoping y'all'll pick it back up as the end result is bound to be a winner! ------------:kilroy:----------

rcafmad
February 7th, 2017, 12:56
There are two folders : Terrains and Terrains2. in ETO and WOFF.

Do I copy both from WOFF to my ETO?

To date the changes made to my ETO and BOB have made the Scenery so realistic that I want to go for a stroll in the England

countryside or a swim in the English Channel.

The Winter Scenes for me are so real that I just want to go for for another stroll.

Any faults are minor to the workmanship put into the project.

Thank you

mongoose
February 10th, 2017, 14:24
Further to my post above to Daniel, I have been looking at the WOFF UE "WOFFScenery" folder which has an ermous amout of sub folders. many seem to involve season changes but also sea variations. Is this operated like the old WMScenery? Can it be transposed?