PDA

View Full Version : Asmedia Sata drivers

Naismith
September 24th, 2015, 22:52
Anyone know much about these? I have an Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero MB. It has 6 Intel Sata sockets and 2 Asmedia ones. The Asmedia ones seem to have trouble holding on to the HD's attached to them. They just vanish and a reboot is the only way to get them back. It is impossible to track down what upsets them. They go out at indeterminate intervals, sometimes they last for days sometimes minutes. New drivers I have tried and that only makes them worse. Googling has failed to show any info on the subject.

Hdguy
September 24th, 2015, 23:09
Don't know much about them. Read through your MB manual. Usually sockets like that can have a BIOS setting that can be configured. Just a thought.

Naismith
September 25th, 2015, 00:31
The manual is not very descriptive at all.

Gooneybird565
September 25th, 2015, 00:56
Not a techie here, but did build my own PC, MSI Z77A-GD65, having 2x 6Gb SATA via Intel Z77 chipset, 2x 6Gb SATA via Asmedia 1061 chipset, and 4x 3Gb SATA via Intel Z77 chipset.
Read on some forums that SSD's should preferably be connected to the Intel chipset, and not to Asmedia chipset, so understood they were possibly not performing as well as Intel ones.
Have here 1x SSD + 1x HDD on 6Gb Intel, and 1x HDD on 6Gb Asmedia, this last HDD being used only for storage. It never becomes disconnected, but the transfer rates are somehow lower than the HDD connected to the Intel chipset.

Possibly some investigation directions...
Have you checked that your PSU is delivering sufficient Amps. to feed correctly whole PC? Or has the device connected to the Asmedia chipset some technical problem?
About upgrading your Asmedia drivers, did you get them from your motherboard manufacturer's site, or from Asmedia's site? Did you try both driver origins?

Hope you get this problem fixed asap.

Hdguy
September 25th, 2015, 00:58
I would say then make sure its not set as a boot device in the BIOS for sure..

They do seem to be a bit slow, not recomended as a OS drive, should have some sort of setting that can be configured.

Bjoern
September 25th, 2015, 10:07
The only time I've seen behaviour like that was when I had an older SSD with a Sandforce2 controller hooked up to my Z87 mainboard. The Intel chip for some reason doesn't like them.

lownslo
September 25th, 2015, 10:26
I just built a system using a Maximus VII Hero and have not had problems with two hard drives dropping out. The first was a 1TB WD Black and the second (that replaced the first) is a 2TB WD Black. Having said that, both drives performed worse on the ASMedia ports... in the range of 50%-75% of the speed of the Intel ports. In the end, I just gave up on the ASMedia. If I needed more Intel ports I'd first move my DVD drive to the ASMedia... the DVD is slow as molasses anyway, so why waste an Intel port on it. I installed the ASMedia drivers that came with the board, then upgraded drivers from the ASUS site. Good thing this MB comes with 6 Intel ports!

HTH,

Greg

Naismith
September 25th, 2015, 12:19
Fortunately it is older HD's I have attached to the Asmedia ports (not bootable) and they just hold backup zips. So it is a convenience thing really to have them on hand really. I think I will try the DVD in one which is barely used these days anyway on one and just ditch the other and bear in mind in any future upgrade to avoid Asmedia altogether.
Thanks for the responses.