PDA

View Full Version : Turbulence

WarHorse47
September 21st, 2015, 12:35
I don't have any addon weather program for FSX, and most of the time I fly with a Fair Weather setting.

It seems that whenever I fly with Current Weather conditions, the air turbulence is excessive at all altitudes.

For example, I've been flying the Aerosoft F.6 Lightning a lot. Most of my last flight with Current Weather conditions had the turbulence tossing the aircraft around like it was a Cessna which to me is very unrealistic.

I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions or links on how to achieve a less violent affect caused by weather wind conditions.

Thanks in advance.

hschuit
September 21st, 2015, 12:46
FSX turbulence effects are highly unrealistic, make sure the "Disable turbulence and thermal effects on aircraft" box is flagged.

ncooper
September 21st, 2015, 13:56
I have flown for years with no weather creation software.
I have recently been persuaded to buy Active Sky Next and
I can say that it has completely transformed the way that
weather is depicted and the way that it then affects the
aircraft.

Nick.

WarHorse47
September 21st, 2015, 15:00
Thanks for the input, but the research and testing continues. Here's where I'm at so far.

I turned off the turbulence via fsx.cfg. Somewhat boring and not what I'm looking for.

I found some other parameters for the [weather] section that is supposed to "improve" the turbulence, but no explanation as to what the improvements are. I tested that anyway, and went back to square one.

Basically the issue occurs with almost any aircraft using real weather when I transition from land to water (in Puget Sound, can you imagine) under cloudy conditions. The issue is that the turbulence is so severe it with roll the aircraft 180 degrees in a flash. As I mentioned this should not happen with a heavy aircraft.

At the moment I think I'm making headway with changing the wind settings in FSUIPC. I got some turbulence, but not as severe without the changes.

As for Active Sky Next (and other weather programs), I'm still on the fence. Since I seldom fly with real weather the reviews haven't convinced myself to get another addon to my already bloated FSX install.

So, I'm still wondering what others have done with the default FSX weather settings, etc. to control turbulence.

Thanks again. :very_drunk:

heywooood
September 21st, 2015, 15:48
A2A Accu-Feel offers sliders that adjust turbulence effects in a couple of ways..its payware but it is not expensive.

Bjoern
September 22nd, 2015, 07:14
Try FSXWX. I combination with a registered FSUIPC, it allegedly uses a good wind smoothing algorithm.

http://www.plane-pics.de/fsxwx/home.htm

robert41
September 22nd, 2015, 13:16
I have found some aircraft are much more susceptible to turbulence. The default DC3 comes to mind. Can be a handful in the rough stuff. One thing I do if really bad is slow down to the aircraft's turbulent air speed, usually it's flap and gear speed, helps some.

Wozza
September 23rd, 2015, 00:52
Hi
Open the fsx.cfg and in the [Weather] section change TurbulenceScale=1.000000 to TurbulenceScale=0.500000
I find this best setting for light aircraft..If you mainly fly tubes ya might want to up it a little bit

WarHorse47
September 23rd, 2015, 05:55
Hi
Open the fsx.cfg and in the [Weather] section change TurbulenceScale=1.000000 to TurbulenceScale=0.500000
I find this best setting for light aircraft..If you mainly fly tubes ya might want to up it a little bitIs this in conjunction with any FSUIPC wind settings, or no? I thought about this but wasn't sure how that worked.

Bjoern
September 23rd, 2015, 08:28
Is this in conjunction with any FSUIPC wind settings, or no? I thought about this but wasn't sure how that worked.

No, this is a standard FSX setting. FSUIPC uses its own algorithm for wind smoothing.