PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 suddenly won't load CFS3 anymore (CD required)

Bear Flag
September 13th, 2015, 12:25
Suddenly my Windows 7 computer won't load CFS3 (using an install with a CD-check). Basically what happens is I load the game (as an Admin), and then nothing happens at all. The Task Manager does not show any program being launched. The same sudden problem occurs with all other games that required a CD check before running, for example, Microsoft Flight Sim 2004 (fs9). Everything worked fine last week, and the only thing changed on my computer is the usual automatic Windows Update. Also, if I attempt to load these games without doing it as Administrator, I now get a message that Administrator privileges are required. While I normally ran these games as Administrator, not doing so would not give me any kind of error messages. I know my CD drive is working correctly.

This seems like it might be a general problem caused by the latest Windows 7 update, but I brief web search didn't reveal any issued related to Windows 7 (everything that came up is Windows 10 related).

Anyone have any ideas?

Edited to add: I just found this related fo FS 2004, it looks like it is the Windows Update causing the problem: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?96170-Administrator-Priviliges-for-starting-FS9

gecko
September 13th, 2015, 12:52
I had the same issue. Definitely caused by the update. I did a system restore to before the update and got working and won't update until I find a fix. Haven't read your link yet, maybe it has a solution.

Bear Flag
September 13th, 2015, 13:41
Okay, I got it working. Here's the specific update that causes it: KB3086255. Uninstall that one, and then turn off automatic updates so it does not re-automatically install in the future.

Here is the thread where I found the answer: http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?293089-Sim-won-t-load!&p=1941403#post1941403

Note that this will apparently leave an exploitable hole for hackers, but it seems it has been known for years yet there has been no widespread reports of gamers getting hit in some way. And you'll have to be more manual in your installation of future Windows Updates.

I think the no-CD patches would avoid this problem entirely, but I have one other game (Medieval: Total War Viking Invasion) that I don't currently have a no-CD patch for at this point, so I'm going to stick with not installing the KB3086255 update for now.

gecko
September 13th, 2015, 15:33
With CFS3 I use the CD version as the others lack a few fixes. Mainly, the 50 yard bug which prevents your bullets from hitting targets within 50 yards is fixed if you use the CD required version.

thanks for the info, I'll allow the updates to install and then get rid of that one.