PDA

View Full Version : Hangar Time

falcon409
September 11th, 2015, 20:53
After rdaniel's post on his excellent C-130 hangar I decided to muster the nerve to do one I had thought about for a long time. This is the 301st Maintenance hangar at Carswell. Not sure if this will prompt me to do more of the Squadron buildings but at least I can play around with this one and use it in some other scenery if need be. Lots of buildings just in the 301st area. . .I don't know that I want to get that much into the rest of them, lol.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/Emma_Ni-2015-sep-12-002.jpg

rdaniell
September 11th, 2015, 20:59
Looking good! That's a design that I won't need to do...LOL.

RD

Montie
September 11th, 2015, 21:06
With these hangars floating around, is anybody interested in making some military sceneries like Nellis AFB etc.?

rdaniell
September 12th, 2015, 00:00
Falcon409, with the exception of the roof style, your WIP reminds me of the 815th TCS's hangers at Tachikawa, Japan, in the late 1960s. This photo is of one of the airplanes I flew on as a loadmaster back then sitting in front of a couple of these hangers.

RD

Roger
September 12th, 2015, 03:52
If that's Carswell Ed, could it take a B-36?

falcon409
September 12th, 2015, 04:10
If that's Carswell Ed, could it take a B-36?
Nope, lol. . . .it would require an additional 90ft of width (at the opening) and 10ft of tail clearance, lol. It's possible that one of the Navy Hangars might meet that size, but there aren't any on the Air Force side that come close.

joe bob
September 12th, 2015, 07:00
It is similar to what I remember the hangars at MacDill looking like but I seem to remember pillars at the front corners.
Those old hangars are immortalized in the Jimmy Stewart movie about SAC. I remember a scene where you could see the little door in the background that you could crouch through on the main door.
It reminded me of back in the day passing through it countless times as we tried to get a visiting aggressor F-5 airworthy enough to get back home after it hit a bird that must have been the size of a pterodactyl.
Funny the little things you remember.

rdaniell
September 12th, 2015, 08:27
...... Funny the little things you remember.

How true.

RD

falcon409
September 13th, 2015, 06:12
This project has been deleted. The height of my hangar was way off and attempting to rescale causes a distortion in other areas. So this hangar is trashed.

falcon409
September 14th, 2015, 07:27
Spoke too soon. After some serious thought I decided to get the chain saw out and wack about 10' off the top of the hangar and drop it down to normal size. It took a while but the results suit me better than what I had. Onward and upward!

rdaniell
September 14th, 2015, 07:35
Alright! Looking good. I've had to do that sort of thing before myself.

RD

falcon409
September 17th, 2015, 13:57
A slow process. This has become one of those "work on it when I feel like it" projects. I've re-textured the exterior 3 different times now. Finally settled on this one for the exterior. Don't like the interior at all, so i'll test some old stand-by textures to see how those look.

rdaniell
September 17th, 2015, 14:07
Continuing to look good! I see where you have modeled some flood lights onto the outside walls. Are you planning on using MDX to attach light effects to them?

RD

falcon409
September 17th, 2015, 14:41
Continuing to look good! I see where you have modeled some flood lights onto the outside walls. Are you planning on using MDX to attach light effects to them?
RD
Yea, at some point. I worked in that hangar almost every day for 22 years and never really paid any attention to what it looks like, ya know? lol. . .Not until I found some interior shots of Commanders Calls on our Wing FB page did I really start looking at it, lol, crazy.
The interior doesn't have that subdued interior look to it. Things are too bright. Gonna have to really work on the textures.

rdaniell
September 17th, 2015, 14:49
You might could use the freeware program "GIMP" to darken the interior textures more to your liking.

RD

falcon409
September 17th, 2015, 15:10
You might could use the freeware program "GIMP" to darken the interior textures more to your liking.
RD
I have GIMP but I use Paint Shop Pro. That's what I plan to do with the interior textures, add some shading and subdue the textures a bit.

rdaniell
September 17th, 2015, 15:41
I have GIMP but I use Paint Shop Pro. That's what I plan to do with the interior textures, add some shading and subdue the textures a bit.

I forgot :pop4: that you also do repaints...:dizzy: I shall look forward to your next WIP screen shots.

RD

falcon409
September 17th, 2015, 22:03
One more then off to bed. . .Time flies when you're havin' fun. . . .lol

falcon409
September 18th, 2015, 07:02
The latest and I just checked the size of the skp file. . . .45meg, lol. . .oh well.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/hangar_1643.jpg

Dimus
September 18th, 2015, 07:26
Looks great Ed!

I am doing a much smaller one for a project I'm working on and was planning to leave it closed. I think I'll open it up now. Inspiring!