PDA

View Full Version : Regia Aeronautica Instrument Pilot's Handbook & gauge set!

kelticheart
September 10th, 2015, 04:07
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/988714418795329223.jpg
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Other Add-Ons

Description: A "Pilot's Handbook" explaining all the most recently developed Regia Aeronautica WWII flight instruments for CFS2, by Manuele Villa, a.k.a. MVG3d, and me. Their functions and their meaning.

Metric to English measure conversion tables for better understanding are enclosed.

All developed from existing CFS2 gauges by changing their textures, or bitmaps. All credits for the original gauges go to the original designers.

Enjoy!

kelticheart

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Italian Regia Aeronautica WWII Instruments Pilot's Handbook.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=20168&catid=17)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Cody Coyote
September 10th, 2015, 07:05
Very nicely done Kelti! Easy to read, easy to use. Super! Thank you!

:applause: :encouragement:

kelticheart
September 11th, 2015, 01:13
Very nicely done Kelti! Easy to read, easy to use. Super! Thank you!
:applause: :encouragement:

Coming from you, the author of two of the best third-party tutorials ever written for CFS2 applications, this is one heck of a praise!

Thank you very much, sir! :02.47-tranquillity:

Peperez has recently announced his soon-to-be released Francesco Giuli's FS9 Savoia-Marchetti S.M. 82 Canguro conversion for CFS2. An ongoing team effort that's been carried out since last April-May.

Manuele Villa (MVGrd) and I were called in to provide an historical 2d/VC panel for this conversion. Manuele turned to me the task of "Italianizing" existing gauges, a project I had started last year, when I tackled the conversion of Manuele's FS9 M.C. 205 Veltro. He took care of all the graphic work, I did some touchups too, improving some gauges already converted by Bertrand Pillot (BeePee).

In all truth, it would have been better designing new ones, but neither of us has the necessary C programming skills to create new gauges for CFS2, while doing it for FS9 I am told it's easier, as C programming isn't necessary.
As I wrote in the intro, some of these gauges do not work exactly as their real life counterparts, because the ones I used had to be metric first of all and secondly, very important, had to give precise readings.

Manuele and I think along the very same guidelines, where computer flight simulation is a damn' serious affair and absolutely not a 'point-shoot-and-kill' arcade game. I said several times I learned to fly real airplanes with MS' Flight Sims. Although I am not a licensed pilot, I sat at the controls or real small planes and ultra-lights several times, earning praises from their owners and an instructor.
Therefore, I think that an instrument must tell exactly at what speed, altitude, vertical speed, attitude, whatever I need to fly on the pc as if I were in a real cockpit. An imprecise ASI can screw up all landing approaches, on a runway or on a flattop. Or impair controls over a fully loaded aircraft.

I tested every single gauge in flight very carefully, before giving the green light to it. The fact they had to be metric also restricted my options greatly. Obviously, 95% of them come from Luftwaffe gauges, I used a couple that were created for Russian airplanes. The Sperry-Salmoiraghi attitude gauge, whose original manual cover picture I used as a thumbnail for this upload, comes from the CFS1 Hurricane set.

The available Japanese gauges, although metric, work so differently than Italian instruments that were impossible to use.

For example, all of Italian WWII ASI gauges have the 0 kmh speed set in the upper left quadrant of the gauge dial. None of the available Luftwaffe dials start from there. In fact the only two ASIs I was able to produce, the 450 kmh and the 700 kmh, are Luftwaffe gauges with their bitmap replaced by an Italian original Salmoiraghi dial. Although the numeric characters are Italian, they are not placed in the same spot as the originals.

Pepe's S.M.82 conversion will contain all of the gauges described in my manual, but I am seriously thinking to upload the gauge library separately, in order to help people locating it more directly.

What do you think about it?

Cheers!
KH :ernaehrung004:

Rami
September 11th, 2015, 01:14
Kelti,

This is an amazing gift for panel modelers. Thank you for all of your effort on this! :very_drunk:

Corrado5834
September 14th, 2015, 12:22
kelti,

un quesito moooolto difficile. :banghead:
Nel pannello del Breda65 con motore A80 (vedi il modello di Manuele) l'indicatore flap/carrello segna varie cose.
In basso i flap, in mezzo il carrello, in alto ...
che cos'è quello in alto? :icon_eek:
la scala va da 0 a 60.

Corrado

kelticheart
September 14th, 2015, 23:43
Ciao Corrado!

Ci dò un'occhiata. Tieni presente che non ho FS9, se non ci salto fuori, giro la richiesta a Manuele.

Salute!
Stefano :ernaehrung004:

kelticheart
September 15th, 2015, 02:00
Coming from you, the author of two of the best third-party tutorials ever written for CFS2 applications, this is one heck of a praise!

Thank you very much, sir! :02.47-tranquillity:

Peperez has recently announced his soon-to-be released Francesco Giuli's FS9 Savoia-Marchetti S.M. 82 Canguro conversion for CFS2. An ongoing team effort that's been carried out since last April-May.

Manuele Villa (MVGrd) and I were called in to provide an historical 2d/VC panel for this conversion. Manuele turned to me the task of "Italianizing" existing gauges, a project I had started last year, when I tackled the conversion of Manuele's FS9 M.C. 205 Veltro. He took care of all the graphic work, I did some touchups too, improving some gauges already converted by Bertrand Pillot (BeePee).

In all truth, it would have been better designing new ones, but neither of us has the necessary C programming skills to create new gauges for CFS2, while doing it for FS9 I am told it's easier, as C programming isn't necessary.
As I wrote in the intro, some of these gauges do not work exactly as their real life counterparts, because the ones I used had to be metric first of all and secondly, very important, had to give precise readings.

Manuele and I think along the very same guidelines, where computer flight simulation is a damn' serious affair and absolutely not a 'point-shoot-and-kill' arcade game. I said several times I learned to fly real airplanes with MS' Flight Sims. Although I am not a licensed pilot, I sat at the controls or real small planes and ultra-lights several times, earning praises from their owners and an instructor.
Therefore, I think that an instrument must tell exactly at what speed, altitude, vertical speed, attitude, whatever I need to fly on the pc as if I were in a real cockpit. An imprecise ASI can screw up all landing approaches, on a runway or on a flattop. Or impair controls over a fully loaded aircraft.

I tested every single gauge in flight very carefully, before giving the green light to it. The fact they had to be metric also restricted my options greatly. Obviously, 95% of them come from Luftwaffe gauges, I used a couple that were created for Russian airplanes. The Sperry-Salmoiraghi attitude gauge, whose original manual cover picture I used as a thumbnail for this upload, comes from the CFS1 Hurricane set.

The available Japanese gauges, although metric, work so differently than Italian instruments that were impossible to use.

For example, all of Italian WWII ASI gauges have the 0 kmh speed set in the upper left quadrant of the gauge dial. None of the available Luftwaffe dials start from there. In fact the only two ASIs I was able to produce, the 450 kmh and the 700 kmh, are Luftwaffe gauges with their bitmap replaced by an Italian original Salmoiraghi dial. Although the numeric characters are Italian, they are not placed in the same spot as the originals.

Pepe's S.M.82 conversion will contain all of the gauges described in my manual, but I am seriously thinking to upload the gauge library separately, in order to help people locating it more directly.

What do you think about it?

Cheers!
KH

I forgot to credit Giuseppe Sisinni, a.k.a. Gius, for his precious graphics help with the 450 kmh ASI!!! :frown-new:

Please, Gius forgive my ageing brain cells!....:dejection: I shall correct the manual and ask Rami to replace it in the library.

Cheers!

mvg3d
September 16th, 2015, 00:40
Hi Corrado,
please excuse me for the delay, but I was at hospital until yesterday with health problems, now I am newly "Sul Pezzo" (as we say in Italy). The gauge You say is for the hydraulic pressure.

:wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey:

kelticheart
September 16th, 2015, 00:56
Hi Corrado,
please excuse me for the delay, but I was at hospital until yesterday with health problems, now I am newly "Sul Pezzo" (as we say in Italy). The gauge You say is for the hydraulic pressure.

That is exactly what I found out in the Ba65 original manual, courtesy of Manuele, of course. Manuele you beat me to it!

It's the pressure gauge for the undercarriage hydraulic circuit in Atmosfere or Atm (1kg over 1 square centimetre). It should indicate 0 pressure when the undercarriage is not active, either locked up or down.

When it's raised, or lowered, it should indicate a normal pressure between 30 and 40 Atm.

If it doesn't move from 0 Atm., you're in trouble! Time to hit the silk or consider a belly landing...... :beaten:

Cheers!

Corrado5834
September 16th, 2015, 03:14
Thanks to both of you.
Problem is hydraulic_pressure_needle is not working in my CFS3 Gmax install :banghead:

Best wishes for your health, Manuele. :dizzy:

kelticheart
September 22nd, 2015, 01:22
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/164614429134481306.jpg
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Panels Add-Ons

Description: A library of Italian WWII flight instruments for CFS2.

Following my "Pilot's Handbook", all the most recently developed Regia Aeronautica WWII flight instruments for CFS2, by Manuele Villa, a.k.a. MVG3d, and me.

Developed from existing CFS2 gauges by changing their textures, or bitmaps. All credits for the original gauges go to the original designers.

Special thanks to:

Bertrand Pillot, a.k.a. Beepee;
Giorgio Maragliano, a.k.a. Chalachew;
Giuseppe Sisinni, a.k.a. Gius.

Enjoy!
kelticheart

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Italian Regia Aeronautica WWII gauges for CFS2.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=20221&catid=46)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Rami
September 22nd, 2015, 01:47
Stefano,

Many thank yous to all involved in this project. I guess we all will have to learn how to to some panel editing now! :very_drunk:

kelticheart
September 22nd, 2015, 02:52
Stefano,

Many thank yous to all involved in this project. I guess we all will have to learn how to to some panel editing now! :very_drunk:

You're welcome Rami! :wavey:

As announced a couple of months ago, I did a few panels by modifying:

Alphasim's Veltro panel for the closed-cockpit M.C. 202 and 205, Reggiane Re. 2001/2005 and 2002,
Morten's G-50 widescreen panel for the open-cockpit Fiat G-50 and Macchi C.200.

They are ready to be uploaded. I was only waiting for Manuele's touchup of the closed-cockpit bitmap, to make it look like the Fiat G-55 panel, which had two side, angled panels resembling the Morane-Saulniere MS406 panel. He's a little busy.....

They are all 1024x768, 4/3 shaped 2d panels, not widescreen and I am afraid not Win7/8 or 10 (aaaarrrggghhhh.....!!!) proof. I keep working in XP.

I also set a gauge naming rule where _CLEAN means without panel screws and _PLAIN means no screws and external frame.

The latter come in handy when the 2d panel bitmap of choice features pre-set locations, with screws and frames, for gauge placement.
The visual results of these plain gauges set inside pre-designed frames is almost 3d.

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO EVERYBODY:

99% of all of the gauges I uploaded feature the beautiful curved-glass effect with cockpit frame reflections, created by MVG3d.

Should anyone prefer a flat version, let me know and I will prepare an additional upload with the same gauge versions without MVG3d's effects.

Cheers!

gaucho_59
September 22nd, 2015, 07:30
Great thing this addition... especially the clean ones... so they just fit on panels whose artwork already depicts appropriate securing screws, etc.
Now... as to the "the beautifully curved-glass effect with cockpit frame reflections, created by MVG3d" there is a problem...
when the aircraft in question has a solid "soffito" deck above... like some transports... the effect is "out of place" for there are no
bracings to reflect... i.e.: I personally flatten the faces and add appropriate reflections... like seat and belts... which are certainly reflected from light from the side or above...
Since a lot of folks lack the expertise and artwork savvy to do so, probably "clean instrument faces without reflections" could be applicable to any aircraft... and wonderfully useful...
Nonetheless... an excellent addition..

Cheers!
G :ernaehrung004: