PDA

View Full Version : C-130 Hanger...

rdaniell
September 9th, 2015, 08:39
...Anybody interested in a hanger big enough to house a C-130 for maintenance? Well, I'm working on one :wiggle: .

RD

delta_lima
September 9th, 2015, 09:50
Looks great!

If there was a white version, it could a pretty decent standin for AFFTC hangars at Edwards (that's the Air Force Test Facility, separate from the Dryden facility) which is further North and East on the base.

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/370456main_E-1152_full.jpg

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/370444main_ET61-0145_full.jpg

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Photo/D-558-2/Large/E-1109.jpg

Ignoring the NACA badge (was prior to the period I'm doing) ... and white ... I'd take it in a heartbeat, as I have nothing with that distinctive notch for the tail ... :wavey:

dl

Willy
September 9th, 2015, 10:00
Is there a paint booth inside?

rdaniell
September 9th, 2015, 10:25
Is there a paint booth inside?

Willy, we've got to find you a better respirator. You've been breathing too many paint fumes. But since you asked, since the doors don't open, there can be anything inside that you are capable of imagining. Ain't virtual reality so much better than real life?

RD

trucker17
September 9th, 2015, 11:24
Awesome RD.
Will the doors be open as well, or animated.?:very_drunk:

Katoun
September 9th, 2015, 12:21
Hi,

We will be needing that hangar at some point in the near future.

Colin says that we will be showing some pics of the finished VC and external shortly. They are done and ready for paint.

Thank you.

Kat

rdaniell
September 9th, 2015, 12:51
Awesome RD.
Will the doors be open as well, or animated.?:very_drunk:

No I don't plan on doing an open door version. As far as animated doors, I don't have a clue as how to model that. What you see in the WIP is the only version I plan to do.

RD

trucker17
September 9th, 2015, 17:29
No I don't plan on doing an open door version. As far as animated doors, I don't have a clue as how to model that. What you see in the WIP is the only version I plan to do.

RD

Not a problem Randy.
Its a must have addon as it is......
Craig....

roger-wilco-66
September 9th, 2015, 21:27
Animated hangar doors have been done before.

I'm not sure if you can model keyframe animations that compile into mdls properly in Sketchup (I gather you use SK for your 3d work, Randy). In GMAX or 3DSMAX such a simple animation is fairly easy, there are a lot of tutorials out there.

As FSX does not natively support conditional animations for scenery objects, you either can cheat and use the FS9 mdl compiler or do it right by defining the hangar as a Simobject and use SODE to trigger the conditional animation (e.g. by dialing in a certain frequency or whatever). Here's a link to an article about SODE, even with a hangar animation example (with sound!):

http://www.simflight.com/2015/07/28/fsx-scenery-designer-sode-it/

Best,
Mark

rdaniell
September 10th, 2015, 04:28
I've made what I think are a few improvements to this hanger project. I plan to get it uploaded by the weekend. I hope everyone who downloads it finds it a suitable object for placement in your sceneries. It will be the last of my projects for awhile. I think it is time that I became reacquainted with actually flying in FSX and enjoying the sceneries that I already have completed.

RD

rdaniell
September 10th, 2015, 06:16
Hi, We will be needing that hangar at some point in the near future.

Colin says that we will be showing some pics of the finished VC and external shortly. They are done and ready for paint.

Thank you.

Kat

Kat, what do you mean by what I've highlighted in RED?

RD

Katoun
September 10th, 2015, 06:20
Hi,

The modeling for this project is completed.

We just haven't had time to take some nice pics or do a 360.

Thank you.

Kat.

Dimus
September 10th, 2015, 06:42
Randy,

Kat is referring to the C-130 which under progress by Milviz. Your hangar would be of good use when this is out.

rdaniell
September 10th, 2015, 06:53
Looks like I got the hanger big enough for a C-130 :applause: .

RD

Dimus
September 10th, 2015, 07:09
My official posting during my military service in the HAF was as C-130 mechanic. I even attended special training and have a certificate issued. In practice I never worked on them as I was detached to the base's ops room (COC) underground, my superior officer still being a C-130 loadmaster. We made good friends. Good memories there.

rdaniell
September 10th, 2015, 07:11
My official posting during my military service in the HAF was as C-130 mechanic. I even attended special training and have a certificate issued. In practice I never worked on them as I was detached to the base's ops room (COC) underground, my superior officer still being a C-130 loadmaster. We made good friends. Good memories there.

Dimus, C-130 Loadmasters are good guys. I believe you know one...:biggrin-new:

RD

Dimus
September 10th, 2015, 07:14
Dimus, C-130 Loadmasters are good guys. I believe you know one...:biggrin-new:

RD

Indeed they are... The post was intentional as you obviously realized.:wavey:

falcon409
September 10th, 2015, 07:18
Animated hangar doors have been done before.
I'm not sure if you can model keyframe animations that compile into mdls properly in Sketchup (I gather you use SK for your 3d work, Randy). In GMAX or 3DSMAX such a simple animation is fairly easy, there are a lot of tutorials out there.
. . . . . . . . . . .
Best,
Mark

Unless there is a plugin for Sketchup that will accomplish that (wouldn't that be great) I don't believe there's any way to do the type of animation we want. You can do "Presentation Animation", such as walk through's of architectural models, but beyond that I don't believe there's any way to do what we need as far as animating hangar doors.

trucker17
September 10th, 2015, 09:16
That hanger is looking real nice Randy. I'm waiting for it to be uploaded.

rdaniell
September 10th, 2015, 09:19
That hanger is looking real nice Randy. I'm waiting for it to be uploaded.

I uploaded it a couple hours ago.

RD

trucker17
September 10th, 2015, 09:52
Cool Thanks RD.

Lane Street
September 10th, 2015, 13:49

RD

FYI, your upload has the texture folder named "textures". This needs to be changed before the textures show up in the sim.

cheers,
Lane

Victory103
September 10th, 2015, 14:08
Nice job RD, I'm still a novice with ADEX, but my HTAI Hercs will love the new home.

rdaniell
September 10th, 2015, 14:21
FYI, your upload has the texture folder named "textures". This needs to be changed before the textures show up in the sim.
cheers, Lane

FYI. That folder could be named "diddly poop" and the textures will still show up in the sim.
RD

paiken
September 10th, 2015, 14:27
FYI. That folder could be named "diddly poop" and the textures will still show up in the sim.
RD

That's funny! I LOL'ed. And you're absolutely right about the folder names...

rdaniell
September 10th, 2015, 14:44
Nice job RD, I'm still a novice with ADEX, but my HTAI Hercs will love the new home.

Thanks for the compliment. With a little practice, I expect you will come to really appreciate just how user friendly ADEX really is to use. I find I can do everything that I want to do with scenery using it. I stand in awe of the original author of this program. And he keeps updating it all along as well.

I've got to get busy myself writing a few AI traffic files for some Hercs, Pavelows, and A-10s. Just as a reminder to anyone who might be close enough to Moody Air Force Base, their open house is the first weekend in November. The U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds are the main attraction. Also the Combat Search and Rescue folks are planning on a demonstration of retrieving a downed pilot. They will be using their C-130s, A-10s, and Pavelows. Some F-16s will be participating as high air cover also.(I think they will be from Shaw AFB.) I saw them do that at Moody back in 2008. It was awesome.

RD

Lane Street
September 10th, 2015, 20:32
RD

Really...?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28931&stc=1

rdaniell
September 10th, 2015, 23:55
Really...?

I'm pretty sure that situation is covered in my READ ME. No need to post screen shots.

RD

Lane Street
September 11th, 2015, 08:18
I was just trying to help,....won't bother with that again.

Obie311
September 11th, 2015, 17:26

RD

Wow Randy you're cranking out objects and airports faster than I can download them! You have really been on a roll.

As a person that lived near Dobbins AFB (and Lockheed {no Martin at the time}) I saw a lot of Herc's in the air. Now that I'm on the Left Coast, I see CaNG 146th Airlift folks from Mugu in their C-130's. A MilViz Herc can definitely use your hangar.

Regards,
Obie

rdaniell
September 11th, 2015, 21:04
Wow Randy you're cranking out objects and airports faster than I can download them! You have really been on a roll.

As a person that lived near Dobbins AFB (and Lockheed {no Martin at the time}) I saw a lot of Herc's in the air. Now that I'm on the Left Coast, I see CaNG 146th Airlift folks from Mugu in their C-130's. A MilViz Herc can definitely use your hangar.

Regards,
Obie

I've been wondering lately if you went to feed the hogs and they ate you:pop4: so it's good to see you posting here on this thread. Thanks for the compliment.

RD

stansdds
September 12th, 2015, 06:33
Rdaniell, thank you for another contribution to the flight sim world. I appreciate the work done by others and given to us with permission to use to improve our own scenery. :applause:

rdaniell
September 12th, 2015, 13:51
...my large hanger. First thank you. SECOND. IF YOU HAVEN'T INSTALLED IT YET, DON'T. IF YOU HAVE, I WILL BE UPLOADING AN UPDATED VERSION TO FIX AN ERROR IN THE TEXTURE ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE HANGER WHERE THE DOORS WOULD GO INTO IF THEY OPENED. I HAVE CORRECTED MY SKETCHUP MODEL AND HAVE RECOMPILED IT USING MDX.

I SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET THE UPDATE UPLOADED TONIGHT. SORRY FOR ANY INCONVIENCE THIS MAY HAVE CAUSED ANY OF YOU'LL HERE AT THE OUTHOUSE.
THE UPDATE IS COMPLETE WITH .BGL AND TEXTURES SO YOU CAN SIMPLY DELETE VERSION 1.1

RD

rdaniell
September 12th, 2015, 16:52
The UPDATED version is now ready for download. :running:

RD

roger-wilco-66
September 13th, 2015, 06:36
If you guys need hangars, I made one for the CBI scenario that might be useable - it's not large enough for C-130ies though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aylfa2wpqlkc7bj/ms-small-old-hangar7%2Bbumpmap.png?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6yth7nl87d5gpg/ms-cbi-small-old-hangar9.png?dl=1

rdaniell
September 13th, 2015, 08:47
If you guys need hangars, I made one for the CBI scenario that might be useable - it's not large enough for C-130ies though.

That looks really :encouragement: good. Broken glass and all.

RD

stovall
September 13th, 2015, 08:51
Mark's hangers looks so good you can feel the heat from the corrugated metal roof. His vehicles are first rate as well.

airattackimages
September 13th, 2015, 08:52

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aylfa2wpqlkc7bj/ms-small-old-hangar7%2Bbumpmap.png?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6yth7nl87d5gpg/ms-cbi-small-old-hangar9.png?dl=1

Awesome!!!

An open C-130 hangar would be great.

rdaniell
September 13th, 2015, 10:01
Awesome!!! An open C-130 hangar would be great.

Something like this? Won't be any time soon however. SWMAABO has informed me that my computer is going to be unplugged for awhile. She took me outside and showed me how high the grass is. Then she muttered something under her breath about a baseball bat.

RD

roger-wilco-66
September 13th, 2015, 13:16
Seems like a "honey do" weekend with a visit at a good restaurant in the evening is due :-) A good friend told me some time ago we males have got to be smart at times....

rdaniell
September 13th, 2015, 13:45
Seems like a "honey do" weekend with a visit at a good restaurant in the evening is due :-) A good friend told me some time ago we males have got to be smart at times....

I'm pretty sure I know who told you that...LOL

RD

Willy
September 13th, 2015, 14:22
Willy, we've got to find you a better respirator. You've been breathing too many paint fumes. But since you asked, since the doors don't open, there can be anything inside that you are capable of imagining. Ain't virtual reality so much better than real life?

RD

What's a respirator??

rdaniell
September 13th, 2015, 17:01
What's a respirator??

Exactly my point!:biggrin-new:

RD

trucker17
September 13th, 2015, 18:55
Awesome work Randy.
Now slow down, i cant keep up......:very_drunk:

oldpropfan
September 14th, 2015, 23:54
If you guys need hangars, I made one for the CBI scenario that might be useable

Beats the corrugations off anything I've been able to come up with so far in Sketchup! Is this available for downloading? Only CBI scenario files I can find are mesh related.

Thanks,

Al

roger-wilco-66
September 15th, 2015, 01:19
Beats the corrugations off anything I've been able to come up with so far in Sketchup! Is this available for downloading? Only CBI scenario files I can find are mesh related.

Thanks,

Al

Sorry, Randy (OP) for the hijack.

@ Al: Re the corrugated metal: happiness is a nice texture with a good bump map. The latter are fairly easy to make.

CBI is still in the works. I have to redo a lot because I adapt it to the freeware mesh series released earlier this year. There is a beta available though.
A neutral version (sans the CBI related objects) of the hangar above is available to anyone who wants it. If there is interest I could upload it here!

Cheers,
Mark

rdaniell
September 15th, 2015, 05:22
..I see that not nearly as many people who downloaded the original version of this hanger have downloaded the updated version.

The only difference is I corrected a missing texture on the back side of the hanger where the doors would open into if they opened. Just didn't want anyone to miss the new update.

I am waiting on feedback from a couple "beta testers" before I upload the open door version.

RD

airattackimages
September 18th, 2015, 08:20
Something like this? Won't be any time soon however. SWMAABO has informed me that my computer is going to be unplugged for awhile. She took me outside and showed me how high the grass is. Then she muttered something under her breath about a baseball bat.

RD

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

And LOL