PDA

View Full Version : fsx.cfg [trusted] section entries

WarHorse47
September 9th, 2015, 08:27
Whenever I add a new aircraft to FSX, there is a feature that prompts me to accept a new gauge or dll and adds that path to the [trusted] section of the FSX.cfg

I read somewhere that this is a security feature of FSX. Not sure if this is something that can be addressed or anything that I should be concerned about.

Anyone have any suggestions on where I can learn more about this? It hasn't been an issue other than my FSX.cfg file is getting a larger over time.

Thanks in advance

DaveB
September 9th, 2015, 08:56
Hello Mate:wavey:

There's absolutely nothing to be afraid of with the trusted section. I'm not sure of the exact nature of how it singles out specific files but I've always thought it's those that are not written exactly to the FSX SDK.. especially older .gau gauges. You can, if you wish, completely delete all the entries in the trusted section and the sim will still run fine. However.. next time you select a model which uses one of these gauges.. FSX will prompt if you want to use it. It's a pain that certain models require each gauge be 'confirmed' (CS C130 springs to mind) but ultimately.. the function is there for your safety. I often go into 'trusted' if I've just loaded a model which has required its gauges be 'confirmed' and if the model is rubbish and won't be used again.. I go in and delete the lines from that section. It's still a monster!!:biggrin-new:

ATB
DaveB:)

Lane Street
September 9th, 2015, 09:23
Accepting gauges is a two-step process.

When testing a new plane that I might not keep, or know I am not going to keep, I tell FSX "Yes" to the first box and "No" to the second.

That way the gauge is run and not added to the "Trusted" list.

Keeps the list from getting huge and filled up with gauges that I may never use again.

cheers,
Lane

WarHorse47
September 9th, 2015, 10:30
DaveB, it actually records newer gauges.

Yesterday I installed the Aerosoft F.6 and the updated F.3. Now that all the models have their own aircraft and panel folders, I was prompted for each aircraft.

Kind of bizarre that they would incorporate that into the FSX.cfg and not into a separate file. Then again, FSX logic is not my best suit. :biggrin-new:

DaveB
September 9th, 2015, 11:13
I'm sure it does that too.. especially gauges that don't use standard code but it's not specific to 'newer' gauges. Backward compatibility was cut with FSX rendering older gauges inoperable. This is one of if not it's main function:)

ATB

DaveB
September 9th, 2015, 11:19
WH..

I found this reference to it by Doug Dawson..

A few notes...This was not something that the folks at ACES dreamt up. This is Microsoft corporate policy. Loading .dll files from unknown sources does represent a legitimate security concern - for instance, I can write a gauge file that will delete all the .doc files it can find. So, while you are flying from London to Paris, your wife's Master's thesis is quietly going up in smoke... Fortunately, this kind of thing hasn't happened yet.The FSX.CFG file is certainly not a good location for the trusted app references. If you want to delete said file to cure other issues you are having with FSX, you will want to back up the existing file so that you can put the trusted gauge references back in. Otherwise you will have to go through the exercise of telling FS that you want to trust each of those gauges again when they are next loaded.Suggestion to MS for future editions: The registry would be a much better place for this kind of thing.Doug Dawson

Makes sense;)
ATB

n4gix
September 9th, 2015, 11:26
Well, I can see it's time to refresh the "Accumulated Pool of Wisdom and Knowledge" once again... :very_drunk:

For corporate reasons no one truly understands, MS's ACES programmers were forced to adopt a system that requires a "Digital Signature" to be present in the headers of all gauges, other DLL files, and all executable (.exe) files. If this Digital Signature is not present, FSX will ask the user to manually "approve" them being placed in the [Trusted] section of the FSX.CFG file.

For technical details, please see this Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signature#Explanation

Unfortunately for developers, obtaining an authenticated Digital Signature is a time-consuming and expensive process. It took very little time for third-parties to develop ways to generate a fake (er, free) Digital Signature, so frankly this entire scheme quickly became fairly useless for its intended purpose.

As a result, FSX is now stuck with the silly and flawed system, although note that Dovetail Games has removed this from the re-worked and re-compiled FSX - Steam Edition. Nor has Lockheed-Martin bothered with foisting it on Prepar3D thankfully.

DaveB
September 9th, 2015, 11:50
I knew someone would have the correct answer:biggrin-new:

Cheers Bill;)
ATB

WarHorse47
September 9th, 2015, 12:04
Thanks, Bill and Dave..

So in conclusion there is no way around it.. The more time goes on the more the CFG will grow.. and grow.. and grow.. until.. :pop4:

Cheers :very_drunk:

DaveWG
September 9th, 2015, 12:37
You could delete the entries in the Trusted section, there are probably loads in there from aircraft you don't use any more. FSX will simply ask you again if the need arises.

FAC257
September 9th, 2015, 13:57
I delete that entire section, except for the FSX SDK entries pretty regularly, specially if I am going through a hanger cleaning session. As already mentioned, if anything needs to be there, it will add it back in during the next FSX load up or flying session.

FAC

WarHorse47
September 9th, 2015, 15:09
Many aircraft I seldom fly are in "the hangar" or in other words has the aircraft folder moved to an external drive, so I tend to leave the [trusted] entries alone for those and active aircraft.

The exception is for newer versions. Whenever I install a newer version of a product I will try and delete duplicate entries.

With all the various utilities out there its surprising that someone hasn't made a utility to better manage or edit these entries.