PDA

View Full Version : Milviz P-38L Nav lights

WarHorse47
August 25th, 2015, 07:04
The MV P-38L is one of my favorites. Last night, however, I noticed that the Nav lights were no longer working. Cockpit and landing lights are fine. Although I reported this on their support forum, I thought I'd post this issue here as well as several others have encountered the same issue.

I'm baffled as to why the Nav lights worked at one time, but not now. The lights are built into the model so there are no related effect files, and as far as I can tell nothing has changed on my install to affect this - all the other related files are where they should be.

Inasmuch as having the lights modeled into the aircraft is a nice feature, it makes it difficult (for me) to trying and figure out what is happening. Without known light coordinates I can't add or replace any effect files with Shockwave lights.

Anyone got any suggestions - short of a complete reinstall and further testing?

Thanks

papab
August 25th, 2015, 11:26
I had a weird thing happen several months ago...
I noticed that my nav lights did not work on any of my aircraft and I found half of the files in the effects folder were erased and missing. Some program I uninstalled must have affected it..
Did not have backup ,so reinstall of FSX

Now I keep a back up copy of the effects folder. Every time I add another aircraft and the size of the folder grows, I keep that as my current copy

Do the nav lights work on other aircraft,like the stock 172?

Just thought I would mention

Rick

n4gix
August 25th, 2015, 12:11
Aside from these two 'custom effects,' the P-38L uses stock FSX effect files.

fx_engstrt_p38.fx
fx_vclight_xp38n2.fx

DaveB
August 25th, 2015, 12:13
I remember that the AH F3F early release models were prone to removing effects files if the uninstall wasn't done according to their instructions. Doubt that's the issue now though.

Like Rick.. I keep a backup of all default fx files so if there's anything you need.. give me a shout;)

ATB
DaveB:)

Roger
August 25th, 2015, 12:20
Dave it was the Globe Swift. I used the uninstall for the update and lost many fx files. As I fly different aircraft I have to reinstall them adding repaints as I go...it can be very time consuming!

DaveB
August 25th, 2015, 12:55
Darn it Roger.. yes, you're right.. it was the Globe Swift:banghead:

Sorry to hear that incident is still haunting you:(

ATB

WarHorse47
August 25th, 2015, 13:06
Ah, yes. The lights work fine on the other aircraft and the two custom effect files are still in the folder.

To get some nav lights, I copied over the entries from the MV P-38 Red Bull. No tail light, but the wing nav lights will do.

My memory's not to good. I know they worked before, but am not sure if it was with the original release only or if I ever tested it with the last SP.

DaveB
August 25th, 2015, 13:26
I had a look at mine mate and they're fine. My version is the last official update posted;)

ATB

WarHorse47
August 25th, 2015, 14:32
Hmm.. Didn't want to do this but I just did a complete reinstall with no change.

The last install was Milviz_P38_L_FSX_vA1.150610.exe. First I copy the entire aircraft folder to another location to preserve the addon textures and aircraft.cfg settings. Then "Run as Administrator" to remove current install, and run again to reinstall. Then copy back the addon textures and make sure their entries are in the aircraft.cfg. Load up FSX, set time to Night, load up the aircraft and ........

There was some mention in their forums about one user having to install (or reinstall) one of the MS Visual C++ 2010, but I wasn't sure if that was necessary or not. I have versions for x64 and x86 which were updated 5/13/2015.

DaveB
August 26th, 2015, 07:39
Not sure what to suggest mate. 150610 is the same as mine. I can't see that reinstalling C++ would make a whole pile of difference as you already have it installed and up to date. It's unlikely that your repaints are causing it either but hows about reinstalling and running as default first.. that is, not adding the repaints and flying first time with a default paint. I doubt this would make any difference but it would be another option ticked off:)

ATB

WarHorse47
August 26th, 2015, 09:46
From what I can tell the conflict may be related to my ORBX scenery.

I loaded the plane at a Texas airport and the nav lights were clearly visible. I then relocated the plane to another airport within my ORBX PNW scenery, and the nav lights did not show. I'm not seeing any problems with other a/c (incl. MV) with similar nav lights, so its only with the MV P-38L. I don't recall this problem before the recent SP, but then again I don't do that much night flying. I guess its all based on what night effects are in place.

I posted my comments on the MV forum and they are looking into it. In the meantime I have added a nav lights for the wings from their P-38RB.