PDA

View Full Version : SSD Success & Thanks

StormILM
August 13th, 2015, 23:37
Just a quick note to everyone who helped me with my SSD Migration Questions. I did the surgery last evening and everything went well. The primary OS SSD migration went like clockwork with zero hiccups. I got the second SSD and storage HDD in and formatted & up and running with no issues. I'm piecing everything back together slowly but surely but just to satisfy myself that there would be no issues with FSXA, I installed it on the 500gb SSD and it went without hitch and fired right up. I've got tons of work & tuning/tweaking on my system left to do but it is nonetheless back up and running and thus far, all is smooth running!

Thanks to everyone again for all the help. It certainly helped make the transition a lot easier!

Hdguy
August 13th, 2015, 23:59
Just a quick note to everyone who helped me with my SSD Migration Questions. I did the surgery last evening and everything went well. The primary OS SSD migration went like clockwork with zero hiccups. I got the second SSD and storage HDD in and formatted & up and running with no issues. I'm piecing everything back together slowly but surely but just to satisfy myself that there would be no issues with FSXA, I installed it on the 500gb SSD and it went without hitch and fired right up. I've got tons of work & tuning/tweaking on my system left to do but it is nonetheless back up and running and thus far, all is smooth running!

Thanks to everyone again for all the help. It certainly helped make the transition a lot easier!

Always good to read another happy ending.. It can be a pain redoing everything...

StormILM
August 14th, 2015, 00:59
Roger that hdguy, been there a few times and it's always the unplanned events of getting a PC back together that hurts the most. This time I made the move to stay ahead of such a catastrophic event (once I began seeing recent instabilities).
The only issue I had in doing all this was the 2.5 trays for the SSD's would mount the SSD's just fine but there was no way to screw the trays into the tower's drive cage. I ended up using zip ties to secure the SSD trays inside the cage next to the HDD. They are secure and the cables are all stable but it was another lesson learned in terms of hardware!

Blade124
August 14th, 2015, 02:33
I'm glad the migration was a success. There is no going back to physical platter drives after using SSD's except for high storage needs.

Scott.

wombat666
August 14th, 2015, 06:43
Just out of curiosity, what 'Box' are you using?
I can't recall anything I've used for several years that had no provision for mounting any extra SSDs.
:encouragement:

StormILM
August 14th, 2015, 08:50
Just out of curiosity, what 'Box' are you using?
I can't recall anything I've used for several years that had no provision for mounting any extra SSDs.
:encouragement:

Dell XPS8500 (2013 Build). I was a bit astonished myself that I ran into this problem but that Drive Bay housing (cage as I call it) is pre-drilled for HDD's but no other provisions. The SSD Bay Brackets (trays) I used where from Sabrent. None of the screw holes match at all. At some point I may acquire some new parts to rectify the matter but as it stands, this PC is pretty much parked here in this room for the duration & I'm not terribly concerned about anything getting jarred loose.

StormILM
August 14th, 2015, 23:23
Quick Note, I've been getting my PC squared away first (making sure everything was properly set/optimized for the SSD operation & usage) before getting into getting FSX setup. I had to get my AMD Catalyst & Drivers squared away and all the settings with that and then came the raw installation of my Saitek X55 (which of course needs a lot of setup and tweaking). Anyhow, even with FSX at the current non-optimized state (a totally stock FSX config), the frame rate was set at 30 and the sim flowed with absolute precision without the slightest hiccup thus far. The FPS performance has not changed per-say but even with my fresh install two and a half years ago, my FSXA never loaded and maintained such fluid visuals(no stutters/pauses, etc). Hopefully this trend will continue!